Home

How do I get even decent at this game?

This is a discussion on How do I get even decent at this game? within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-22-2011, 12:53 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
How do I get even decent at this game?

I know NOTHING about soccer (football). I've never played the sport, only half-watched a few world cup games and that's it. I don't know any of the positions or any tactics.

But I'm going to be moving in with two FIFA fanatics soon and I need to try and at least hold my own. I can't even score a single goal. Even if I get in position to shoot, I always either blast it into the stands or I basically pass it to the goalie.

Where do I even begin to learn how to play correctly? Should I watch some real games to get the basic tactics down? Most advice online just says to practice practice practice but that hasn't done anything. I can't score on semi-pro level, and amateur is just way too easy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #2
Rookie

alphaguy5's Arena

Re: How do I get even decent at this game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaKuu
I know NOTHING about soccer (football). I've never played the sport, only half-watched a few world cup games and that's it. I don't know any of the positions or any tactics.

But I'm going to be moving in with two FIFA fanatics soon and I need to try and at least hold my own. I can't even score a single goal. Even if I get in position to shoot, I always either blast it into the stands or I basically pass it to the goalie.

Where do I even begin to learn how to play correctly? Should I watch some real games to get the basic tactics down? Most advice online just says to practice practice practice but that hasn't done anything. I can't score on semi-pro level, and amateur is just way too easy.
What players are you playing with?

I have just started playing this game, and I have found that there is a huge difference between someone like messi or kaka shooting and some unknown shooting.

If I were you, I would just mess around with the little game thing when you first turn on the game with kaka. There are several different combinations of shoot-button and left-stick presses that result in different types of shots.

For me, I usually shoot just inside the box if the goalie is coming out and closer to him if he stays put. I press the shoot button twice, immediately followed by pressing the stick down. I know that that is a very cheap way to shoot, and I am sure more experienced Fifa players can do much more amazing things, but this seems to produce results on semi-pro for me.

Now, of course, when you end up going to harder difficulty levels, doing that probably won't work for us at all, but it is a start.

As for learning the game, yes, you should watch some games. An EPL game is on ESPN2 in just a few minutes in fact. If you feel ambitious, you should even join a local rec league or something similar. I am sure someone would be more than happy to teach you how to play. And once you start playing, you won't be able to stop.
Lions
Packers
Fulham Football Club

Last edited by alphaguy5; 05-22-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaguy5
What players are you playing with?

I have just started playing this game, and I have found that there is a huge difference between someone like messi or kaka shooting and some unknown shooting.

If I were you, I would just mess around with the little game thing when you first turn on the game with kaka. There are several different combinations of shoot-button and left-stick presses that result in different types of shots.

For me, I usually shoot just inside the box if the goalie is coming out and closer to him if he stays put. I press the shoot button twice, immediately followed by pressing the stick down. I know that that is a very cheap way to shoot, and I am sure more experienced Fifa players can do much more amazing things, but this seems to produce results on semi-pro for me.

Now, of course, when you end up going to harder difficulty levels, doing that probably won't work for us at all, but it is a start.

As for learning the game, yes, you should watch some games. An EPL game is on ESPN2 in just a few minutes in fact. If you feel ambitious, you should even join a local rec league or something similar. I am sure someone would be more than happy to teach you how to play. And once you start playing, you won't be able to stop.
There's also a Phillies game on soon and that takes precedence. I guess I could start following the Philadelphia Union so I will have a team to root for.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:27 PM   #4
Rookie

Dos Peninsulas's Arena

OVR: 3

It's super cliche, but there's really just one thing to do: practice. I was that exact same way when I started out, but I got better over time.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:20 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 6

all of the above is good advice. the more you practice the better you'll become. it might also help to move up a difficulty level. yeah, you'll probably lose a few games, but the better you get against the AI, the better you'll be when playing other users. Once you get decent, try joining an online league to test your skills

Following the Union would also be a good way to get into the game. Heck, get down to Chester and attend a game

Last edited by RedAL925; 05-24-2011 at 01:43 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-24-2011, 01:37 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 12

I really think the only way to get better at something is to practice. It's just the reality of the situation.

Go into an 11 on 0 practice and just pass the ball around. Watch how the players move. I still go into practice mode and just rocket the ball around, kicking it up and down the field, side to side, just for a few minutes just to keep it fresh in my head. It's nice to see the movement of the players when there isn't another team breathing down your neck.

Other than that, I would suggest reading. Maybe pick out a team that is close to you (the Union) and start reading about them, they might become your favorite team.

Here are a few things that might be of interest to you..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associa...ball_positions

The positions in football. It's a lot but it gives you great information on what positions do what, what type of players play those positions and how they approach the game (attacking, defending responsibilities).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formati...on_football%29

The formations (or some of them) in football. Again, a lot to read but very informative, easy to read and will give you a great understanding on why certain formations are used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football

A wiki page with the overall aspect of the sport of football.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:13 PM   #7
Pro

willIam9387's Arena

OVR: 10

Just started playing Fifa 10 again and I'm trying to add skill moves to my repetoire. A question I have is to pull off a specific move holding L2 and flicking or holding the right stick in a direction is it camera relative?

Also for those people who play the game quite frequently do you use many skill moves or do you buildup your offense with passing and a few well-timed skill moves?

Thanks
Old 05-28-2011, 06:44 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by willIam9387
Just started playing Fifa 10 again and I'm trying to add skill moves to my repetoire. A question I have is to pull off a specific move holding L2 and flicking or holding the right stick in a direction is it camera relative?

Also for those people who play the game quite frequently do you use many skill moves or do you buildup your offense with passing and a few well-timed skill moves?

Thanks

Skill moves are PLAYER relative, which makes it much hard for me to use. You've got to adjust the stick to whatever direction your player is moving.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »