Home

Old 06-25-2011, 11:19 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 8
Crosses

I find that I am always attacking down one of the flanks and trying to cross the ball back into the box. The CPU seems to defend the center and give me space on the wings.

I usually attempt about 12 crosses per match ... and usually only about 3 of them are successful (not "successful = goals" ... just "successful = reaches a teammate"). Actually scoring a goal from the cross is another story ...

What is the secret for increasing my cross completion percentage?
Is it a function of the crosser?
Or do I need to do something better with the teammate receiving the cross?
What about the right timing for the cross?
How about the power?
Where should I try to aim the cross?
Do I aim at a teammate or do I aim into space?
Should my player be running when he crosses? Or should he be stopped?
When does the L-Stick "switch" from "moving the crosser" to "aiming the cross"?
And when does it "switch back" to "controlling the player receiving the cross"?
Do you use [X] for the cross or [LB + Y] for the cross?
Where on the field should my crosser be when he sends in the cross?
I have never really done much with the "early cross" idea - what is that?

I hope that you can help me with this ... crosses are a big part of my game ... if I could get even just a little better ... that would make a big difference.

(I am playing All-Manual / WorldClass / vs. CPU)

Thanks!

Last edited by SpHSpH; 06-25-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2011, 11:55 PM   #2
Rookie

JMUfootball's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Crosses

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpHSpH
I find that I am always attacking down one of the flanks and trying to cross the ball back into the box. The CPU seems to defend the center and give me space on the wings.

I usually attempt about 12 crosses per match ... and usually only about 3 of them are successful (not "successful = goals" ... just "successful = reaches a teammate"). Actually scoring a goal from the cross is another story ...

What is the secret for increasing my cross completion percentage?
Is it a function of the crosser?
Or do I need to do something better with the teammate receiving the cross?
What about the right timing for the cross?
How about the power?
Where should I try to aim the cross?
Do I aim at a teammate or do I aim into space?
Should my player be running when he crosses? Or should he be stopped?
When does the L-Stick "switch" from "moving the crosser" to "aiming the cross"?
And when does it "switch back" to "controlling the player receiving the cross"?
Do you use [X] for the cross or [LB + Y] for the cross?
Where on the field should my crosser be when he sends in the cross?
I have never really done much with the "early cross" idea - what is that?

I hope that you can help me with this ... crosses are a big part of my game ... if I could get even just a little better ... that would make a big difference.

(I am playing All-Manual / WorldClass / vs. CPU)

Thanks!
The bolded part is where crossing in FIFA really breaks down. When the ball is in the air, there seems to be an "on the rails" aspect to the game, where every defender near an attacker gets suctioned into a 50/50 jump attempt. If you notice, you do not have control of the attacking player in these instances...even if the tick mark indicates that you do. You can't release from the challenge and try to get a step ahead while the ball is in the air.

I don't really think it's a problem with your playing style, I think it's just the nature of the game. Year after year they try to make aerial challenges more organic but it does not ever seem to be truly organic. It seems to me that the AI decides who's going to win the ball while the ball is in the air, and nothing you do in terms of controlling the attacker can change that.

To briefly touch on some of your other questions, though I doubt my advice would be very useful because you're probably doing it already...

Far post crosses work best...defenders in FIFA are usually single man marking on the far post.

Aim at a teammate if you can. Especially on manual crossing, I've found my balls aimed into space usually do that just, and nothing but..until they hit the endline. Even nearby attackers don't have the AI to go after it if it's not crossed directly at them.

Use X and not the finesse cross. The extra pace on the ball usually translates to a sharper header.

I use L-stick to aim as soon as I have made my last touch on the ball. So, if I'm on the wing I give it one last full tap ahead, press X for the desired power then start my L-stick positioning, before I make contact with the ball. I'm trying to recall right now if, in some instances, I actually use L-stick BEFORE and during X, but without the controller and actually doing it I can't picture it precisely.

All in all, you're probably doing as best you can given the current game limitations on air challenges. I know that I've adapted my offense to ground crosses/thru balls with Y, and that works a lot better with the game engine. It means a more counterattack oriented game, but I'd rather have that than trying to beat a bunkered in D with crosses that are unwinnable in the air.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:57 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 8

=====
Far post crosses work best...defenders in FIFA are usually single man marking on the far post.
=====

And what makes something a "far-post-cross"? Just more power up?

=====
Aim at a teammate if you can. Especially on manual crossing, I've found my balls aimed into space usually do that just, and nothing but..until they hit the endline. Even nearby attackers don't have the AI to go after it if it's not crossed directly at them.
=====

I think I really struggle with this. I should look up and see if a teammate is somewhere inside the 18-yard box? Does the aim change based on where my crosser is when he is releasing the cross? Any suggestions to get better with improving my aim?

=====
Use X and not the finesse cross. The extra pace on the ball usually translates to a sharper header.
=====

Yeah - just trying to consider all of my options with this one ...

=====
I use L-stick to aim as soon as I have made my last touch on the ball. So, if I'm on the wing I give it one last full tap ahead, press X for the desired power then start my L-stick positioning, before I make contact with the ball. I'm trying to recall right now if, in some instances, I actually use L-stick BEFORE and during X, but without the controller and actually doing it I can't picture it precisely.
=====

Yes - my issue with this is that the L-Stick also moves my player. The timing switch from "move my player" to "aim the cross" is still not something that I have mastered. Is it when I begin to power up the cross, by pressing [X], that the L-Stick switches to control my cross aim?

Oh - and with this aiming idea - I frequently get it too close to the GK ... but when I try to avoid that problem - my cross finds its way to the outside of the 18-yard box ... I guess this is simply an example of where I need to be more subtle with my aiming ...

Thanks for your help ...
Old 06-27-2011, 01:28 AM   #4
Rookie

JMUfootball's Arena

OVR: 0

See in green

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpHSpH
=====

And what makes something a "far-post-cross"? Just more power up?

Yes. The most rewarding part of manual crosses for me is mastering the amount of power to place it in precise locations. It's dynamically dependent upon player Kick Pwr, Control, Curve, so each situation is different depending on where you attempt the cross from and who is doing the crossing. More of just a "feel" than an exact science.

=====

I think I really struggle with this. I should look up and see if a teammate is somewhere inside the 18-yard box? Does the aim change based on where my crosser is when he is releasing the cross? Any suggestions to get better with improving my aim?

I try to look before crossing...unless there's just a ton of men already in the box.

=====
=====

Yes - my issue with this is that the L-Stick also moves my player. The timing switch from "move my player" to "aim the cross" is still not something that I have mastered. Is it when I begin to power up the cross, by pressing [X], that the L-Stick switches to control my cross aim?

That sounds like it's it. I can't ever seem to recall my player moving with L Stick after I've already hit X...I think the X press is where the control switches. But again, unless I'm actually sitting down playing and paying attention to the timing, I can't say for sure.

Oh - and with this aiming idea - I frequently get it too close to the GK ... but when I try to avoid that problem - my cross finds its way to the outside of the 18-yard box ... I guess this is simply an example of where I need to be more subtle with my aiming ...

One thought is to pay attention to the Curve rating of your players. A higher curve rating will mean that player can provide a cross that is close enough to goal but will amply curve away from the keeper when it nears. I've found that crosses from players with a low Curve rating always seem to get snatched by the keeper, unless they are aimed far out in the box, as you describe.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »