Home

Never bought a soccer game before.

This is a discussion on Never bought a soccer game before. within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-28-2011, 10:51 PM   #25
MVP

Greene_Flash03's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Never bought a soccer game before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyceDa59
I am telling you got the idea right, FIFA is route 1 soccer, lacking real build up and the key passes that you see players perform lack the back pass to a defender or goalie to keep possession. FIFA has a casual appeal to it, and while it does have fantastic animations I sometimes feel it doesn't do the best job in using these animations making many things in FIFA seem over excessive at times. Is FIFA a bad game no I don't think so as it is very fun, but does it do the best in representing real football tactics, nope.

If you do like PES give it a try as you will not be disappointed at all with it this year. It has many fun modes for it like the Master League and Be a Legend mode which lets you control your own character on the pitch, it is a very addicting mode and the Europa League and Championship are included into it as well as the all the International tournaments as well.
Thank you for your input! I'm loving the PES 2012 demo, and I'm sure I will love the game. Also, I just watch some videos of Masters League on YouTube, and I must say PES 2012 has the advantage right now. I will try Fifa 12 demo when it drops, we'll see.

Again, thanks for your input.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2011, 04:21 AM   #26
Pro

OVR: 12

I'm extremely curious to try PES 12; I just wish they weren't so finicky with their US releases for the demo's. I can't say I'm well versed in football tactics but I've been trying to watch as much as I can.

*as a side note, the new espn channel on the xbox live video marketplace lets you watch a nice amount of archived games for a bunch of leagues (lots of La Liga, Bundesliga and MLS)

Anyways back on point

Lately while I play FIFA 09 I've been allowing for things to develop more naturally but I do have to admit that it's really me just policing myself because I know I can take a quick player and sprint down the sideline if I have to. What is it about PES that doesn't allow for this?

Does it have to do with stamina or is it that defenders have a speed boost? Also what are some of the biggest downsides to the PES series(aside from the licensing stuff, which is so typical EA)? I know they're only now really making a solid push on this gens titles.

I have to put it out there that I love playing FIFA 09 but I've always had a negative image of EA as a company since the NFL license fiasco. I guess what I'm saying is I'd love to find an excuse not to give my money to EA.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:04 AM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 1

^One thing I've noticed that doesn't allow you to just sprint down the sideline for a cross is that when you do sprint sometimes your teammates don't sprint as well so that there isn't anyone in the box to cross it to. You could still sprint but then you'd have to either stop or change direction and wait for your teammates to go inside the box for the cross. In FIFA one teammate in the box is enough to just cross it for the header, but in PES if you cross it to one teammate and there are multiple defenders around they will just block the cross by heading it away from the goal.

The biggest downsides for PES 12 just from the demo are that the goalies are pretty slow. Sometimes the computer will shoot a very slow shot and my goalie will wait until after that VERY slow shot is past them before they decide to dive after it. Another problem (which is also a complaint I see a lot on this forum) is the shots that feel so "floaty". In FIFA when you shoot the ball it feels like there's a weight to it where as PES feels like there is no realistic weight in the ball. There are also some glitches where you do some sidestepping moves with the ball and sometimes the ball is completely away from the player's feet and they get stuck in that animation. This only happened to me a couple of times, however.

Having said that this was all in the demo and these issues can all be fixed by the time retail comes out. You might find PES 12 to be very challenging but that's because you're probably used to playing FIFA style where defense doesn't really matter and scoring is all about either sprinting down the sideline for the cross or charging the offense for the steal near the midfield and getting a through ball to the sprinting forward for a goal. I'd say PES is more simulation-style football and FIFA is more arcade-style. PES forces you to play defense and be smarter on offense by building up play, spreading out the defense with passing, and cutting through the defense's holes to go in for the score. Scoring is much more rewarding in PES, and I always jump out of my seat when I score one. And as far as licensing is concerned, that is all but trivial when you have easily accessible rosters for the PC, or if you're a console gamer there is a great community of gamers who create teams, rosters, and kits for the consoles.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:02 PM   #28
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclownprince
You might find PES 12 to be very challenging but that's because you're probably used to playing FIFA style where defense doesn't really matter and scoring is all about either sprinting down the sideline for the cross or charging the offense for the steal near the midfield and getting a through ball to the sprinting forward for a goal. I'd say PES is more simulation-style football and FIFA is more arcade-style. PES forces you to play defense and be smarter on offense by building up play, spreading out the defense with passing, and cutting through the defense's holes to go in for the score. Scoring is much more rewarding in PES, and I always jump out of my seat when I score one.
I'll do my best to give it a try. Like I said the more I watch football on tv the more I am adapting it to the game. I'm on like my 6th season of manager mode in FIFA 09 (which seems to have pretty much everything they say they've added to manager mode in FIFA 12, minus the fancy new menus).

I started in the MLS with the Galaxy for 2 seasons, went to Bacalona for 3 seasons where I really tried to emulate (particularly in the 3 season) the possession style and utilizing the little slicing passes rather than a huge reliance on the high cross.

I just switched over to Arsenal for a taste of the premier league and for a bit more challenge. What I liked was that they tend to implement a lot of short passes a bit like Barca.

I really try to not rush the midfielders and go the other way for an easy goal but I know it's there.

My biggest gripes really are that your ai teammates seem pretty brain dead. They show no desire to obtain possession of the ball; you literally have to do everything yourself because they won't go after a ball that rolls 2 feet in front of them.

I hear PES 12 has really upped the ai, how is teammate ai?
Old 09-03-2011, 01:08 PM   #29
Pro

Oh the other thing that bothers me is the fouls when the ai is tackling. I've recently been getting a lot better at shielding but still.

I like that FIFA 12 has sliders this year, that's a big factor which I don't think PES has right?

Also keep in mind I'm coming from FIFA 09 so both titles should be a crazy leap right? I wish I could get both but with NBA 2k12 coming out a week after there's no way I'll have time for 3 new games.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:52 PM   #30
MVP

Greene_Flash03's Arena

OVR: 27

After playing Fifa 11 for 5 days now, I found it boring. I an score with ease using sprint + cross + header against any teams. I agree with the previous poster, the shot in Fifa is a bit floaty. I think I'll go with PES 12, I find it really challenging and players are really dynamic. It doesn't let you sprint down the field to for a cross all the time. Plus, I like the fact that they have the CL licenses.

Now, if someone can tell me how the qualifying works let say in UEFA in PES, that would be great.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #31
Chillin

RoyceDa59's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene_Flash03
After playing Fifa 11 for 5 days now, I found it boring. I an score with ease using sprint + cross + header against any teams. I agree with the previous poster, the shot in Fifa is a bit floaty. I think I'll go with PES 12, I find it really challenging and players are really dynamic. It doesn't let you sprint down the field to for a cross all the time. Plus, I like the fact that they have the CL licenses.

Now, if someone can tell me how the qualifying works let say in UEFA in PES, that would be great.
Qualifying works the same way it does in real life...minus..every European League out there. Do you mean for the Champions league or for the UEFA Euro?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2011, 04:43 PM   #32
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene_Flash03

Like Royce said it's realistic qualifying. I actually think that league's gain and lose spots like they do in real life. Also, a huge draw for fans of clubs that are in the UEFA CL is that you can actually play in the UEFA CL in YR1 unlike FIFA where you have to wait a year. Makes no sense at all IMO. If you're Barca why do you have to wait.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »