Home

FIFA 12 Demo Available Now, Post Impressions Here (360, PS3, PC)

This is a discussion on FIFA 12 Demo Available Now, Post Impressions Here (360, PS3, PC) within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #57
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: FIFA 12 Demo Available Now For 360 and PC, Later Today For PS3, Post Impressions

Thumbs down for me...CPU players running all over the place that you can't foul them because they're too fast, even on slow speed. Two fouls, both by me, in a total of four played games. Possession is also honked up (Arsenal CPU-Barca (me) 64-36% for the former). I think there's a general malaise of regression at EA Sports this year (their football games both need to be patched out the wazoo, NHL12 perhaps on a downward slide, and now their go-to game the past 3 years, FIFA).

Looks like it's PES2012 for me and only that.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:42 PM   #58
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: FIFA 12 Demo Available Now For 360 and PC, Later Today For PS3, Post Impressions

A couple of quick thoughts on what I think is a pretty good demo. Keep in mind that I played FIFA 11 for about 2 weeks before trading it back in, so there may be a few things that I noticed in the demo that were in the FIFA 11 game.

6 games played on WORLD CLASS, Normal game speed, and the TELE -BROADCAST camera(THANK YOU for putting this back in the game!)

*HUGE difference in playing styles between the teams. Barcelona needs to be contained and absorbed to the best of your ability. They use a lot of the skill moves and short quick deadly passing that you would expect them to. I was dominated as OM and lost 3-1.

I then took on Borussia Dortmund and the entire feel and pace of the game were completely different.

*Too early to get a good feel as to whether or not there will be a lack of fouls issue. A couple of the games I played, I was able to draw three fouls against the CPU(with a strict ref) and in a few others there were no fouls. I'm more optimistic about this not being an issue because I think with the controls being a little tighter it will be much easier to draw fouls.

*AI Defending. There were more than a few times when I saw my defenders standing around doing nothing except leaving Messi by himself at the top of the 18yd box to easily receive a pass and do his thing.

Yes this is a bit of an issue, but I believe it can be minimized by using this new Teammate Contain button. I have always played off ball defense in this game and relied on the second defender press button. With the new teammate contain button, it is much easier to assist the back four in marking while containing the CPU mid-fielders by holding down the RB. I would normally control a CDM or CM and contain all others with my CPU teammates.

This has resulted in the CPU regularly passing the ball back and also forcing them to build an attack. Additionally, I noticed that my CPU teammates from OM had a much easier time containing the mids from Dortmund as opposed to the likes of Xavi and Iniesta.

*Slide Tackles are very difficult to pull off and even more difficult against the more skilled dribblers...and they should be. There is an obvious push to get player to contain and not sprint and slide tackle for 90 minutes.....thankfully.

*Player Impact Engine. I had been prepared for this to be one of those over cooked, over done, in your face, EA features, but I've only seen a handful of animations. Looks good so far.

*I suck at penalty kicks.

*The thing that I am most happy about is that this is the first FIFA game EVER where I can literally be dominated from a possession standpoint. NO matter what level I was playing on in earlier versions of the game, if the CPU got 50% possession it was a small miracle. Barcelona had 60% of the possession compared to my 40% as OM. The main reason for this is that the CPU is not constantly pushing forward and shooting, shooting, shooting...They work and attack based on personnel.

*Should be interesting to see how the sliders effect gameplay.

*I also noticed that the game gets a little sloppier towards the end of the game the passes were more off target as were the shots.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:44 PM   #59
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomba
Just more corporate sponsors thats all...

Again it's just a niggle of mine
How do you get that done? Ive been reading every where that corporations are pulling back from advertising in video games because theyve learned it doesnt result in sales. So if corporations wont pay, EA has no other choice.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:45 PM   #60
Rookie

OVR: 1

I've been digging the PES 2012 demo for a while now and decided to give this a try. I like the way FIFA feels. It has mroe fluid dribbling than 11 and the defending is much better (no more homing missile defense). Some of the problems I have with FIFA overall are still present. The CPU ALWAYS takes it to the wing for an attack without any realistic buildup. I have yet to see a goal from the CPU that isn't a header or assisted from a cross. That is just my initial reactions, but overall I'd say I like the defending and fluidity more, but the usual problems with FIFA still remain. I'll still give this game a chance.

I'm playing the demo on World Class right now and I have yet to score a goal. I think it has to do with the learning curve since I can't defend well. I also cannot establish any buildup. The CPU gets clean tackles on me way too easy or maybe I just suck. Another thing I have a gripe with is the CPU on penalty kicks. Both times I had a 0-0 draw with me as Manchester City against Arsenal, and Fabregas flubbed goals that were really bad that resulted in a loss for the CPU.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #61
MVP

ps3veron's Arena

OVR: 11

Keep the impressions coming comrades!

How do you guys find the new default camera?

How's the grass? 3D like NCAA?

Finally how about the new precision dribbling? How does it feel?

Last edited by ps3veron; 09-13-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2011, 03:06 PM   #62
MVP

wrestlinggod1's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG
My impressions:

Positives:
  • The Etihad looks very good down to the shadows on the pitch
  • Presentation has been ramped up. I saw 2 different cutscenes after my first 2 matches. I also liked the little intro player spotlight before the match. I wonder if in the retail they will talk about the player. Might not be enough room in the demo for custom commentary.
  • Speaking of commentary, it's pretty solid. Announceners not talking over each other and they react on cue.
  • Speaking of reacting on cue, the crowd reacted instantly to a nice steal by Sagna (I was the home team) and also applauded a nice move and cross by Groebenkrutz.
  • My keeper didn't seem to have canned animations and reacted fluidly (see the double-save in the Barca-Milan game). Too often in past FIFA's you could tell as soon as you kicked the ball whether or not it was going to be a goal.
  • The CPU will punish you for your mistakes. I over-ran Villa and he controlled the pass and slotted one in the bottom corner because of my bad movement.
  • Animations are top notch as expected.
  • Offensively I felt like Barca played realistic. Their buildup was patient at times but they also showed a bit of counter-attacking.
  • I absolutely love the quick throws. My first few I was button-mashing to get past the cut-scene and ended up throwing them straight into the defender but after that I was able to start quick-attacks.
  • The impact engine was not overdone in my opinion and it even works off the ball. I had a run blocked off in the Dortmund-Man City match that showcased this.

Negatives:
  • I don't know if tactics or sliders can fix this but man-marking was atrocious for me. As AC Milan I constantly had to close down on my defenders. For someone who likes to let the CPU do this while playing an option I really struggled to defend.
  • I might be in the minority on this but the movement is way too free again. With defending being much harder (which I applaud) the ability to contain players who can cut & spin on a dime is really hard.
  • Passing speed on default was also frustratingly bad. Barcelona is known for their quick crisp passes. Too often my passes floated across the pitch despite heavily powering them up.
  • I feel like the CPU does a lot of mindless dribbling in circles instead of attacking defenders with quick moves. I'm not talking about skill moved but just a simple "drop the shoulder, side flick past a wrong-footed defender".
  • Barca's defense was nothing like their real-life counterpart. They didn't pressure me at all and it seems like both sides (human & CPU) are set to contain.
  • On one occasion l I was stuck in a strafe animation as Villa raced past me as Thiago Silva.
  • Still no clock for Extra Time. I don't understand why this hasn't been included. They tell you the added minutes but there is no countdown so you're left guessing.
  • There were a few offsides that were not called (see Messi at 10:56)
  • CPU AI is still too accurate with their passes & first touch
  • CPU AI will not attempt any skill moves on you. They will turn on you but no step-overs or feints.
Overall it's about what I expected. The AI is still not up to par when it comes to defending & positioning but perhaps this can be tuned by sliders.
Did you copy and paste that review? It keeps referring to a video but I don't see the video.

Go MIAMI Teams!!
Old 09-13-2011, 03:09 PM   #63
YNWA

~LiverpoolRed~'s Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlinggod1
Did you copy and paste that review? It keeps referring to a video but I don't see the video.

He posted the video earlier in the same thread.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:11 PM   #64
Pro

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomba
Just more corporate sponsors thats all...

Again it's just a niggle of mine
I understand it's "your thing" but I dunno, I just feel like a video game ad isn't too out of the ordinary. Granted I havent been to a soccer stadium (only baseball, football, basketball, hockey) but I would think that's better than some generic Soda Ad. At least it's a real product. And don't they change dynamically throughout the year?

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »