Home

Fifa 12 Formation Thread

This is a discussion on Fifa 12 Formation Thread within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-07-2011, 08:44 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Fifa 12 Formation Thread

Lets start a thread to discuss the different formations Some of the topics within this thread could be:

What playing styles best suites the formation your talking about.

What player attributes could fit really well within each position within the formaation.

How to set up the positioning, workrate with in the formation.

What formations you prefer.

A combination of all of them.

Or anything else you may have to say about this topic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
Banned

Re: Fifa 12 Formation Thread

4-2-2-2 is the only formation i care, cos all teams here in brazil use it :P

it's good for playing short pass imo. side backs HAVE to have high offensive work rate, they're crucial to make 1-2s with the offensive midfielders and get opposite defense off-guard. because of this, obviously set defense to cover. it's good having a quite defensive cdm to help the center-backs and a looser one that eventually goes forward and has a good touch to serve the offensive four. ideally, have a striker almost planted in the box with good heading and shooting skills and a second striker with loads of speed to move around the spaces. offensive midfielders are the most important players and ideally should have good overall stats. no brainer.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

I'm experimenting with a 5-2-2-1 formation in my Hamburger SV career mode. Here's what it looks like:

-------RCB----CB----LCB-------
-RWB---------------------LWB-
---------RDM----LDM---------- (could also use 2 CMs or CM/DM combo)
------RAM-----------LAM------
--------------ST--------------

I really liked the offense it created with the attacking mids running off the striker and center mids hanging around for long shots if the defence collapsed. My wingbacks provided the width in attack to get crosses in or drag defenders wide to open up the middle for short passes.

What I need to do is sort out the backline. I started with the middle defender as a sweeper, but he played too deeply despite some adjustments to his base position. I think what really screwed me -- I gave up 4 goals to Newcastle in my only game with this setup -- was setting the outside CBs to man-mark the opposing strikers. They followed them all over, which created too many holes at the back, even with my CMs having back arrows for defensive positioning. That's usually how a three man backline is supposed to handle two strikers, but it didn't work in FIFA, at least for me.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:27 AM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
I'm experimenting with a 5-2-2-1 formation in my Hamburger SV career mode. Here's what it looks like:

I really liked the offense it created with the attacking mids running off the striker and center mids hanging around for long shots if the defence collapsed. My wingbacks provided the width in attack to get crosses in or drag defenders wide to open up the middle for short passes.

What I need to do is sort out the backline. I started with the middle defender as a sweeper, but he played too deeply despite some adjustments to his base position. I think what really screwed me -- I gave up 4 goals to Newcastle in my only game with this setup -- was setting the outside CBs to man-mark the opposing strikers. They followed them all over, which created too many holes at the back, even with my CMs having back arrows for defensive positioning. That's usually how a three man backline is supposed to handle two strikers, but it didn't work in FIFA, at least for me.

This formation intrigues me. I think I will play around with it a bit.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:27 AM   #5
Pro

Pielet's Arena

OVR: 12
Are they doing the FIFA realistic tactics still that they did for FIFA 10? last year they had a website but no tactics.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2011, 07:38 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 5

I'm Dutch so the only formation I can use, want to use and care about is 4-3-3, lol. But honestly I always use the 4-3-3 system. Total Football FTW!! I let my RB and LB support in attack very often and my RW and LW, switch sides and cut inside too.

Ajax Amsterdam
Buffalo Bills
Old 10-10-2011, 11:27 AM   #7
is looking at stats.

Krebstar's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pielet
Are they doing the FIFA realistic tactics still that they did for FIFA 10? last year they had a website but no tactics.
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...cs-thread.html
Old 10-10-2011, 08:17 PM   #8
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb

I usually mark with my CDM. If you have a formation with 2 of 'em the other should still be able to give you good cover.

I run with the 4-3-1-2 with Portsmout

I like having 2 strikers so one can come back and play that false nine and hold the play up to give my wingers time to get down the flanks. Our build-up is usually methodical with a lot of 1-2's and decoy runs. We'll let the first passer run and take his man and try to exploit the space he just vacated with one of our quicker players (Carlos "Near Post" Fuentes or Husselkamp) on the ball. With 3 attacking players we always have an option to play diagonally. We do have a massive ST in Kitson who can hold up the play and win headers so we usually run off him. I usually juggle the CM with either 2 natural CDM's or an offensive-minded CM depending on the game situation. So far our matches have kind of played out a little like Barca in that we try to break clubs down. We've struggled to score at times but we're turning into a second half club with the ability to pull away from clubs late. It's all good right now but we're a Kitson injury away from playing 4-3-3 and countering like crazy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »