Home

Fifa Mid-game adjustments?

This is a discussion on Fifa Mid-game adjustments? within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-14-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63
Fifa Mid-game adjustments?

Hey guys I was playing around testing the in-game offensive and defensive adjustments last night. But I don't see any difference in the gameplay.

Defensive I think they have Offside trap, Counter attack, high pressure, CB pressure

Offense I think it is, something wing, high pressure, ball control, default

I am wondering if anyone knows if these make any difference in gameplay because I could not tell. Also what do they all do and how should the be used?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: Fifa Mid-game adjustments?

Hey Phobia, I haven't had time to check that out myself. But I know in previous versions of the game, the only way to see significant differences in CPU formation setups (high back line vs deep one, say), was to manually create custom formations and then assign them to the various CPU teams. For defensive-minded teams for example, I would drop the back line all the way as far as it would go in the formation edit screen, then save and assign. Once in-game, you could really see the CPU now playing back. Just a thought or two, might not be relevent to your question and concern.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:55 PM   #3
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
Hey guys I was playing around testing the in-game offensive and defensive adjustments last night. But I don't see any difference in the gameplay.

Defensive I think they have Offside trap, Counter attack, high pressure, CB pressure

Offense I think it is, something wing, high pressure, ball control, default

I am wondering if anyone knows if these make any difference in gameplay because I could not tell. Also what do they all do and how should the be used?
I've only tried High Pressure and Offside trap. High Pressure works 100% as intended. I was down to a guy 0-2 online and he tried to waste some time forcing me to adjust on the fly and my guys were noticeably more aggressive in closing down. I also tried Offside Trap one match online when I was up to see if the CPU controlled backline could handle it and they couldn't. FIFA is known for the wing-backs keeping the other club on-side and the second I turned this on my CBs crept up and mistimed the trap leading to an easy 1-on-1 goal for him. I'd imagine that it could be effective in spurts because it's so rarely used but you better use High Pressure as well or else the other team is going to have a lot of time in the midfield to pick out through balls. Trust me, my real-life club team plays the offside trap and we're (I play LB/RB) constantly yelling at our midfield to close down.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

I use swap wings all the time. Either your LM and RM or your LW and RW will switch places. If you time it right you can actually get both of them on the same side of the field and attack.

CB attack brings one of the CBs forward on a run, but I don't know which one is suppposed to come forward.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:07 PM   #5
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

I don't use them that often so I don't remember which direction does what, but one activates quick tactics and the other quick strategies (not sure what they're called).

You can customize your quick tactics in team management; this allows you to assign various custom or default tactics to swap between during a match. The other ones are almost set-plays, or at least as close as you get in soccer. CB Overlap will send one of the CBs on a forward run, Offside Trap will make your defenders step up/hold the line to catch someone offside, and so on.

I don't use either of these features all that much, although they can help in certain situations. It's just a bit cumbersome to pressing the D-pad a few times during play, not to mention the menus can feel a touch laggy at times. I use the team mentality (left/right on D-pad) a lot more; in fact, I switch between defensive/normal/attack constantly throughout the match depending on the context. I rarely go to the extreme end of the scale... bad things usually happen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
I don't use them that often so I don't remember which direction does what, but one activates quick tactics and the other quick strategies (not sure what they're called).

You can customize your quick tactics in team management; this allows you to assign various custom or default tactics to swap between during a match. The other ones are almost set-plays, or at least as close as you get in soccer. CB Overlap will send one of the CBs on a forward run, Offside Trap will make your defenders step up/hold the line to catch someone offside, and so on.

I don't use either of these features all that much, although they can help in certain situations. It's just a bit cumbersome to pressing the D-pad a few times during play, not to mention the menus can feel a touch laggy at times. I use the team mentality (left/right on D-pad) a lot more; in fact, I switch between defensive/normal/attack constantly throughout the match depending on the context. I rarely go to the extreme end of the scale... bad things usually happen.
Yea this thread was mainly directed at the Up/down portion on the D-pad which is the "plays" or "style of play" I should say. But What is the Left/Right stuff. I know you can change it from normal to attack all the way to ultra attacking or opposite in the defensive realm, but what does this do on a gameplay scale?

How can you notice what is changing, maybe it is my lack of soccer knowledge but I can't tell a difference.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:13 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
Yea this thread was mainly directed at the Up/down portion on the D-pad which is the "plays" or "style of play" I should say. But What is the Left/Right stuff. I know you can change it from normal to attack all the way to ultra attacking or opposite in the defensive realm, but what does this do on a gameplay scale?

How can you notice what is changing, maybe it is my lack of soccer knowledge but I can't tell a difference.
the more attacking you put, more frequently players are gonna make runs forward (creating scoring opportunities, but leaving the defense uncovered), more players will go forward in set pieces, etc. i also get a feeling that the team line moves a bit forward as a whole, and of course it's the opposite if you choose more defense.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »