Home

n00b Question: How is "form/rating" calculated?

This is a discussion on n00b Question: How is "form/rating" calculated? within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-06-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
MVP

jkra0512's Arena

OVR: 31
n00b Question: How is "form/rating" calculated?

I am very new to the world of soccer/futbol and I bought FIFA '12 in order to learn the game. I decided that I would start off by playing CDM as a playmaker for the the NY Red Bulls. I started out 66 overall and have played well enough to move up to a 70 overall within a few months.

Furthermore, while playing I've noticed the form rating at the bottom of the screen and usually I aim for a 6.8 as a goal for now, however, I don't get how it is calculated. Seems like it is more offensively slanted then defensive. I get that on a goal either way I may see a 0.1 increase or decrease, but I feel like sometimes my teammates make a terrible pass and I'm penalized for it. Other times, I feel like I'm in great defensive position only to see my form rating decrease.

Also, what are the Squad Ranking and Squad Rival screens all about? I know these are n00b questions and I thank you ahead of time for explaining these to me. They seem pretty basic, but I just can't figure them out for the life of me! I want to improve, but I feel this is holding me back right now. Does playing on Legendary difficulty make the form rating more sensitive during the match?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-06-2011, 06:16 PM   #2
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: n00b Question: How is "form/rating" calculated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkra0512
I am very new to the world of soccer/futbol and I bought FIFA '12 in order to learn the game. I decided that I would start off by playing CDM as a playmaker for the the NY Red Bulls. I started out 66 overall and have played well enough to move up to a 70 overall within a few months.

Furthermore, while playing I've noticed the form rating at the bottom of the screen and usually I aim for a 6.8 as a goal for now, however, I don't get how it is calculated. Seems like it is more offensively slanted then defensive. I get that on a goal either way I may see a 0.1 increase or decrease, but I feel like sometimes my teammates make a terrible pass and I'm penalized for it. Other times, I feel like I'm in great defensive position only to see my form rating decrease.

Also, what are the Squad Ranking and Squad Rival screens all about? I know these are n00b questions and I thank you ahead of time for explaining these to me. They seem pretty basic, but I just can't figure them out for the life of me! I want to improve, but I feel this is holding me back right now. Does playing on Legendary difficulty make the form rating more sensitive during the match?
Form/rankings have never been right in FIFA.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:33 PM   #3
MVP

jkra0512's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG
Form/rankings have never been right in FIFA.
Oh what a relief it is to read that. Seriously, I thought I was doing something wrong on the field. I really get upset when I go to slide tackle and miss by a fraction of an inch, but it was still worth the effort and I get docked a point.

Can someone explain the Squad Ranking and Rivals page to me, please?
Old 11-06-2011, 11:00 PM   #4
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13

See, I think it's much better this year. Last year, it seemed totally arbitrary. But if you think of a "default" position as 6.0, it seems like most games I look at the ratings and think about who had the good games and bad games, and the ratings tend to reflect that. I've seen ratings as high as 8's and 9's for strikers who had multiple goals. But what's really impressive are the guys on defense who make the most good plays have ratings over 6 (usually).

I'm sure there's issues with it and I don't know all exactly how it's calculated, but this is one issue I'm actually happy with this year.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:30 AM   #5
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJH1
See, I think it's much better this year. Last year, it seemed totally arbitrary. But if you think of a "default" position as 6.0, it seems like most games I look at the ratings and think about who had the good games and bad games, and the ratings tend to reflect that. I've seen ratings as high as 8's and 9's for strikers who had multiple goals. But what's really impressive are the guys on defense who make the most good plays have ratings over 6 (usually).

I'm sure there's issues with it and I don't know all exactly how it's calculated, but this is one issue I'm actually happy with this year.
My comment was aimed more at ratings for his VP. Ratings favor attacking players & keepers in FIFA.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-07-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

Squad ranking is a combination of form and overall ability. Basically, it's a ranking of your best performing players at the moment. Under the hood, FIFA will adjust your player's stats based on his form, so a player with a 75 overall rating might actually be playing at at 80 if he's in excellent form (I'm just making these numbers up, I don't know how much of a bonus they actually get overall). So that might mean if Arshavin's form is 8.0 and Van Persie's form is a 5.0, Arshavin might be the better striker at that moment.

I believe that the squad rivals are other players who are competing for your position. Your player might be a 66 overall, but if he is consistantly hitting an 8.0 form he might take the place of a player with an overall of 70. If you're playing a career as a player/manager this doesn't really mean anything to you since you pick the starting 11 + subs, not the cpu.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:43 PM   #7
MVP

jkra0512's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nas7ybuttler
Squad ranking is a combination of form and overall ability. Basically, it's a ranking of your best performing players at the moment. Under the hood, FIFA will adjust your player's stats based on his form, so a player with a 75 overall rating might actually be playing at at 80 if he's in excellent form (I'm just making these numbers up, I don't know how much of a bonus they actually get overall). So that might mean if Arshavin's form is 8.0 and Van Persie's form is a 5.0, Arshavin might be the better striker at that moment.

I believe that the squad rivals are other players who are competing for your position. Your player might be a 66 overall, but if he is consistantly hitting an 8.0 form he might take the place of a player with an overall of 70. If you're playing a career as a player/manager this doesn't really mean anything to you since you pick the starting 11 + subs, not the cpu.
Many thanks to you, good sir!
Old 11-08-2011, 12:43 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

I must say that I enjoy these "noob" questions as I learn things I haven't even thought about

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »