Home

How FIFA Can Extend Its Lead Over PES

This is a discussion on How FIFA Can Extend Its Lead Over PES within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-31-2011, 01:42 PM   #17
Pro

JimmyDeicide's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: How FIFA Can Extend Its Lead Over PES

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvinceable1
Even though I have many gripes about the scripted repetitive nature of FIFA's gameplay I can honestly say that if they did nothing other than overhaul career mode & clubs for FIFA13 it would be a huge winner in my book. The game is still a long way from a sim, the closest I can get is playing with full manual controls against other full manual players. Nevertheless, when we take our full manual clubs online we get matched against assisted teams 99% of the time and it's always a lobbed through ball finesse shot fest, nothing even remotely resembling football. Regardless we've learned to make the best of it and we can hold our own. If they could just update the club mode that hasn't changed in a few years and at least make it somewhat stable I would be happy. Career mode speaks for itself, people want a deep and engrossing experience and FIFA career mode doesn't even scratch the surface. While NBA 2k12's MyPlayer & Association modes aren't perfect they would be a good place for FIFA to steal some inspiration from. FIFA needs something other than bland mindless kickball. I'm not even gonna touch on the AI...
I cant agree less with these opinions any more this is why the games get stale.
Fifa 11 was one of my all time fave footy games. No other game ive played gave you the control that that game did.
Fifa 12 refined things from 11 but how i say.
This trinity of gameplay jargen didnt do hardly a thing.

They just put a fancy name on what was already there in place.

The only real change was in the defending which was drastic but how many of us were already defending that way. Now the defenders dont defend whatsoever give me the overly aggressive tackling and having to fight for space 11 over the gaping no tackling defence of 12.
Sure it makes for a better game online but thats it.

The ai prances around now like they are on springs the same player jumps back and forth on the wing looking like a greedy idiot instead of making a 3 yard pass and getting out of trouble , god forbid he would look up and switch the play.
The more pressure you apply on the ai the more they prance about, seems everyone is just too agile.
The new contact looks great but thats it, there is no reason for it the foul system isnt tied into thats for sure.

I hate the way EA programs there ai it gets boosts or whatever you call it at so called critical junctures in games, end of half end of match, end of period , last minute of 3rd period.
It reacts to the control input of the human player instead of having a real intelligence.

Ive gone back to pes again its just a better single player game.
Sure the freedom has gone the control is neutered not having Fifas manual passing freedom is the only thing other than licensing that is holding it back, even though Fifa have taken just enough out of their manual passing this year to annoy me it still is miles better than pes's passing system.

So just refining career mode will not help it in my book, career mode is laughable as it is with the transfers but even if you can live with that the game on the pitch has taken a step back and until they open up the play with some intelligence it will always be behind Pes on the pitch.

Just like their NHL game people are growing bored because they spend zero time on the ai or single player.

The difference in Pes and Fifa is online offline. Pes does it the old school way Single player first online tacked on. Fifa is the exact opposite.

Take your pick .
Old 12-31-2011, 08:04 PM   #18
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

If FIFA wants to finish PES they should buy the UEFA CL license.

I really liked the improvements they made to Career Mode in terms of off-the-pitch activities but the gameplay vs the CPU made me quit after ~10 matches.

It seems like a lot of the new features EA puts out are never finished. Personality + is a great idea in concept but didn't do enough to distinguish individual player skills IMO. The impact engine is a fantastic innovation (although Backbreaker did it first) but the implementation is poor. Obvious fouls aren't called leading to people playing exactly the same as before. Heat-seeking defenders knocking you off the ball because the refereeing logic isn't synced is a problem. Tactical defending attempted to lessen this but FIFA went too extreme with it to the point that your backline is passive and often invites attackers to get into the box. They give us sliders but they are more tactical/strategical in nature. Why there is no foul/ref strictness slider still baffles me.

If they just work on "refining" their game and stop worrying about back-of-the-box features they will win a lot of the sim crowd over. They already have the casual fan.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #19
Rookie

pendo's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonfb
WTF OS, Its these kinds of articles that will turn the soccer games into the football games now. PES makes Fifa better and Fifa makes PES better. If we dont have competition we'll end up with Madden and NCAA types games who are way behind the other sports games. Certain people like PES, certain people like Fifa and certain people like both. Let it be and most importantly you should love that fact we have 2 soccer games to play for everyones sake.
Exactly my feeling as well. Competition breeds success.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:46 PM   #20
Hall of Fame

jb12780's Arena

OVR: 23

Post-release support would be a start.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:34 AM   #21
MVP

fearwhatnow's Arena

I just don't get it.This year PES is way better than FIFA in almost all areas (except animations).Very good AI (compared to Fifa's one is 10x times better imo), great defending mechanics with teammates involved and don't just standing watching the cpu attackers (fifa?), improved BAL (BaP is stale and the lack of teammates support make the mode a joke), Master League has again more depth than Manager/Career Mode, game speed is spot on at -1 or -2 (fifa's slow option is fast), PES has passes that result on dead play, players have different abilities (where is the personality+ feature in fifa?Another poor implementation by EA), refs and fouls are spot on also on PES,build-up play is almost perfect.
So, why the hate for PES?Fifa can be good online with manual settings and that's it.
Let's hope both games will keep improving but I'm afraid EA chose the wrong way.They're killing offline/sp features for casual/online.That's how I see it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #22
Pro

JimmyDeicide's Arena

I would say fifa is a brilliant game it just breaks down around the penalty box,
both on offense and defense that is an area which could get some love and it comes down to ai again.

I dont see anything wrong with Pes's animations if you play a few games you'll see the same and more and sometimes better animations ,player reactions than fifa. They are both top notch in that regard all be it with a few warts in each.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #23
MVP

eyeamg0dly's Arena

OVR: 15
cant believe you think the show has gotten stale ;(. its light years better then any other sports title because of the dedication that team puts into that game. ive yet to get into nhl, but every ea game has some sort of predictability to it.

i think it comes down to the game not being hard enough in some aspects. when i say that i mean that the game should shape you the player into becoming a better player. its simple, whenever i make a mistake, i should be punished for making said mistake, the higher the difficulty the less lenient the cpu should be. instead we have a psychic like ai that goes into overdrive when it has to stay within the status quo when it comes to stats. that results in "scripted" parts of the game that cpu has to do to make it "realistic".

instead do like mlb the show has done and make the game hard, make the game shape you the user. when i throw the wrong pitch in that game, i get blasted, it makes me think twice about it before i throw that pitch in that situation again. same can be done in this game, if im constantly playing unrealistic arcade soccer, then i should have my *** handed to me by the cpu on any difficulty level. if im playing the game the way it should be played, then i shouldnt get blasted.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #24
Pro

Super Glock's Arena

OVR: 10

PES 12 was just flat out awful this year. FIFA 12 is just head and shoulders above it and that is an amazing feat considering how much PES dominated back in the day. Now saying that there is no doubt that if the the FIFA team does not focus and gets lazy it could change once again very quickly.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »