Home

Some specific questions about the tacital defending ...

This is a discussion on Some specific questions about the tacital defending ... within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-08-2012, 10:47 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 8
Some specific questions about the tactical defending ...

Yep - I am getting buried by the "new" defense - and I need some help ...

(1) - It seems like the player that I am controlling while my team is on defense is moving much slower than his CPU-controlled teammates. I am using only the L-stick to move my guy (no sprint / no jockey) ... and he is dreadfully slow. If I switch to a new player (via LB or R-stick), the new playing that I am controlling is now "slow" and the player that I left (now CPU-controlled) seems to move at regular pace. Switching to the player nearest the ball is actually working out poorly for me ... because now the player I am controlling is the one moving slowly. The CPU offensive player is often sprinting (I watch his energy bar) ... so I need to sprint with my defensive player just to keep up ... but then I am not able to change direction (due to my momentum) when the CPU offensive player changes his direction.

(2) - I have read that I should train myself to using the R-stick to switch my defensive player (and not the LB button) ... what is the deal with this? I am struggling to make this work ... and I often find myself controlling the "wrong" guy.

(3) - I am really awful at making tackles (standing or sliding). I cannot get my defensive player close enough to the CPU attacker to be in a position when either of tackles will get a play on the ball (partly due to the issue with speed that I mentioned earlier). How do I get into a position to tackle the ball from the CPU attacker?

(4) - Am I changing which defensive player I am in control of too often? I feel like I am constantly hitting the LB button (or the R-stick). How frequently (and when) do you change which player you are in control of? Should I change following each pass the CPU makes? Sometimes the CPU attacker dribbles around (because I am not able to make any tackles), moves the player that I am controlling out of position, and then passes back to the now exposed area of my defense. Should I not follow the CPU attacker when he leaves a particular zone?

(5) - The CPU "goals scored" : "shots on target" ratio is absurd in each game ... 5 goals from 8 SOT, 4 goals from 5 SOT ... this is a spectacular return on the shooting investment. (Needless to say ... my ratio is too often closer to 1:8, 2:13, etc.)

I am playing [ all-manual / worldclass / slow / 15min half / exhibition vs. CPU / default sliders ]

Please help - this is getting *really* frustrating!

Last edited by SpHSpH; 02-08-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
All Star

orion523's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Some specific questions about the tacital defending ...

There are several youtube videos that can help you, I recommend watching those first. After that it all comes down to practice, practice, practice. FIFA 12 is not the type of game you can just pick up and play and be successful, it just isn't. IMO, it's best to switch using the LB button and hold A(or X on PS) to contain until you start to get the hang of it. Later on you can use the running jockey to play off the man in the passing lanes with the CPU(RB) marking the man in possession. As time goes on the game WILL slow down for you, and then you'll begin to make better defensive decisions. Finally here's a couple of tips that may help.

1. Lay off the turbo, you will over pursue and get burned.

2. Be patient. Try to force a mistake using pressure, not by tackling.

3. Pay attention to the way you're being attacked by the offensive side, most teams will have a certain way they like to play. You cannot defend properly if you do not know what you're defending against.

4. Keep you players in position. This is very very important. Getting out of shape creates gaps that the offense will exploit.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
MVP

eyeamg0dly's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Some specific questions about the tactical defending ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpHSpH
Yep - I am getting buried by the "new" defense - and I need some help ...
(3) - I am really awful at making tackles (standing or sliding). I cannot get my defensive player close enough to the CPU attacker to be in a position when either of tackles will get a play on the ball (partly due to the issue with speed that I mentioned earlier). How do I get into a position to tackle the ball from the CPU attacker?
tbh its a timing thing when it comes to tackling. for example with sliding tackles. i cannot get them off when they have the ball and dribbling. however if i time it right as they are receiving the pass, then they have no time to dribble and i will successfully slide tackle.

as far as normal tackles, just wait when they are dribbling and the ball is away from them. i know that sounds so obvious, but just stay in position and wait for them to dribble the ball. once they make a mistake like sprinting when covered then you just tackle and take it away.

as far as positioning, i dunno i just stay in my zone of whomever im controlling. set the controls so that you can control your sprint. so if i only need a little bit of speed i will just press the sprint trigger down slightly.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #4
Some say he...

kerosene31's Arena

OVR: 20

Check out:

http://www.fifa12tips.com/

I just got the game a few weeks ago, but defending is a lot different in this game than in past games. Assuming you played previous Fifa games, forget everything you learned. In past games, you needed to be really aggressive and tackle any chance you get. In 12, if you are too aggressive, the CPU will blow past you.

Don't go for the tackle unless the opportunity is right or until the CPU gets close to the goal. Stop thinking about stealing the ball, instead think about taking away the CPUs options for moving or passing the ball forward (just like the real game). Tackling was just way, way overdone in past games.

I'm far from an expert but I have more success not controlling the player closest to the ball. Instead, I use the teammate pressure button when appropriate (again don't overuse it) while I take away a passing option. Push them wide or push them back.

Definitely learn to change players with the right stick.

Question #4 is tough. You don't want to chase the ball and pull your guys out of position badly, so you do want to switch players often. The RS is key though. You don't want to switch to where the ball is now, you want to think one step ahead of the CPU.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #5
Pro

-----
(1) - It seems like the player that I am controlling while my team is on defense is moving much slower than his CPU-controlled teammates. I am using only the L-stick to move my guy (no sprint / no jockey) ... and he is dreadfully slow. If I switch to a new player (via LB or R-stick), the new playing that I am controlling is now "slow" and the player that I left (now CPU-controlled) seems to move at regular pace. Switching to the player nearest the ball is actually working out poorly for me ... because now the player I am controlling is the one moving slowly. The CPU offensive player is often sprinting (I watch his energy bar) ... so I need to sprint with my defensive player just to keep up ... but then I am not able to change direction (due to my momentum) when the CPU offensive player changes his direction.
-----

This is the one that is really bothering me right now ... I know that I am not supposed to sprint all the time with the defensive player that I am controlling ... I am trying to use only the L-Stick to move my guy ... but all of my players move so slowly when I am using the L-Stick to move them ... they seem to face-up on the CPU player with the ball and my guy cannot keep up with the CPU player's pace ... the CPU attacker is sprinting (I can see the energy bar drain while the CPU player moves) ... so I have to sprint also to keep pace ... but then I am not able to respond quickly enough to any change in direction from the CPU attacker.

I am always being beaten ... and then if I bring a second defender over to help ... the CPU exploits the space left behind by the teammate who is now out of position. This is the main way that the CPU is constantly slicing open my defense. I am never able to get close enough to the CPU player with the ball for me to attempt a tackle (standing or sliding) ... when I do attempt a tackle, I am too far away to reach the ball, and the CPU player easily moves past my defender (who is now hopelessly unable to follow the play.

So, yeah, I am getting destroyed by the CPU here.

I know that "practice, practice, practice" is the right answer ... but what should I be trying to do while I practice? I feel like I am logging a lot of minutes in exhibition matches ... but I am not really getting any better!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-14-2012, 12:35 AM   #6
MVP

eyeamg0dly's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
-----
-----

This is the one that is really bothering me right now ... I know that I am not supposed to sprint all the time with the defensive player that I am controlling ... I am trying to use only the L-Stick to move my guy ... but all of my players move so slowly when I am using the L-Stick to move them ... they seem to face-up on the CPU player with the ball and my guy cannot keep up with the CPU player's pace ... the CPU attacker is sprinting (I can see the energy bar drain while the CPU player moves) ... so I have to sprint also to keep pace ... but then I am not able to respond quickly enough to any change in direction from the CPU attacker.

I am always being beaten ... and then if I bring a second defender over to help ... the CPU exploits the space left behind by the teammate who is now out of position. This is the main way that the CPU is constantly slicing open my defense. I am never able to get close enough to the CPU player with the ball for me to attempt a tackle (standing or sliding) ... when I do attempt a tackle, I am too far away to reach the ball, and the CPU player easily moves past my defender (who is now hopelessly unable to follow the play.

So, yeah, I am getting destroyed by the CPU here.

I know that "practice, practice, practice" is the right answer ... but what should I be trying to do while I practice? I feel like I am logging a lot of minutes in exhibition matches ... but I am not really getting any better!
try to think about controlling space. you cannot control all of it so you need to force them into going where you have help. the sideline is a good example.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - x--------------------------------------------------
y -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - z- ---------------------------------------------------

above ////////// = sideline
x = attacker with the ball. y is your fullback, and z is your midfielder/winger. you would be controlling the midfielder, in this situation you do not have to be aggressive and go after the ball. let him dribble, just dont give him the passing lane, he will run into your full back and force him to make a decision. just take priority of where you want him to pass.

think about containing first to exhaust their options, then attack.

edit: first post didnt like my little drawing. i know it maybe difficult to decifer at first.

Last edited by eyeamg0dly; 02-14-2012 at 12:38 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
Some say he...

kerosene31's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
-----
-----
It sounds like you are way too aggressive and pulling your players out of position. Once you are sprinting to chase the CPU, you already gave them too much space. Be much, much more passive and block their path forward.

Don't chase the ball. The CPU looks for you to over-commit and will use the space you just opened. If you lose your formation at midfield you are going to be toast. Until they get close to scoring distance, just push them wide and wait for them to make a mistake. Forget tackling the ball carrier, just push them wide. Instead of taking the ball away, take away his most central and forward passing option. Just stand in the lane. I actually use the other button to keep my guys going slower.

As I said before, I usually control the more central players away from the ball. Then learn to use the teammate pressure button (very sparingly).

The only time I get aggressive is when a player is in a good position to cross or close to goal. Otherwise I push them wide. Don't be afraid to let them have possession, but take away any good possession.

Also, don't be afraid to play with the CPU sliders. I moved up to world class and the AI had a 98% pass completion rate and 65% possession in the 1st half. I cranked down their passing accuracy slider a few points and they started playing more realistically.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:15 PM   #8
Pro

Thank you all for the advice ... I have been practicing using my team (Swansea ... 3.5 stars) against various teams in the Irish League (1.0 stars) ... so I *should* have a big advantage. I am getting better at limiting the number of chances the CPU gets ... but they continue to score at an alarming rate. Some relevant stats from a game I played recently:

SWANS(me)-----vs-----STPATS(CPU)
---3----------goals---------2----------
--24----------shots---------5----------
--17----shots-on-target----3---------
---60%------poss---------40%-------
---15-------tackles--------14---------

etc.

The key thing to note is (3/17 = 18%) and (2/3 = 67%)!

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »