Home

FIFA 13 - Youth Academy and Player Growth

This is a discussion on FIFA 13 - Youth Academy and Player Growth within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-17-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
Rookie

Gnemi's Arena

OVR: 7
FIFA 13 - Youth Academy and Player Growth

Because this particular feature is by far the most important to me when it comes to the upcoming release of FIFA 13, I figured there may be others.

So far, there have been no official announcements about changes to either the Youth Academy or Player Growth, both of which were totally broken last year.

In FIFA 12, there was a problem very early on with Youth Academy players developing far too quickly. Then, it all ended with a crash and a bang as EA released a patch that led to the total ruination of not only the Youth Academy, but all player growth across the game.

Here are two common examples of just how bad it became with the patch:
  1. Bad Kids: You spend ten million euro on excellent scouts. By the end of a year, they've handpicked 2-3 studs with a potential of 85-90. During the next one or two years, you watch these players develop until you sign them to the senior squad with an OVR of around 65-70.

At that point, it doesn't matter if you send them to a lower league team on loan or play them every single minute of every match...they will suck. In five years, they will suck less, but unless you're managing Cardiff City, they will still suck.

2. The Two Lucas: There's a rumor that Luca Caldirola and Luca Marrone have a high potential and you can pick them up for a decent price to watch them develop into superstars over the next few years. They have low OVR, around 70 or so, but they could be high 80's soon.

So, you sign them to Everton or Fulham and put them into your starting lineup to get them seasoned in the top flight *or* you send them to a lower league on loan while you wait for a better veteran at their position to retire.

Groundhog Day. Whatever you do, it doesn't matter. They will suck. In two years or three years, they will still suck.

------

In scenario 1 or 2, it doesn't matter. In FIFA 12, all of your high potential transfers or Youth Academy studs will gain 1-2 points per year of OVR. In 5 years, you're lucky to have one of them approaching 80 in OVR.

Let's use this thread to discuss changes, if any, that have been made to the Youth Academy and/or Player Growth in FIFA 13. I don't have much confidence that it will be better, but there's always a chance, however miniscule!

Last edited by Gnemi; 09-17-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2012, 02:04 PM   #2
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: FIFA 13 - Youth Academy and Player Growth

Prospects and youth are some of my major draws to a sports game. One of my greatest joys is scouting a player and getting him to develop. Sometimes, I wonder if I enjoy that more than actually playing the games! In NHL 13, it seems that way.

Anyways, my point is that this is a major focal point for me. I know EAC has overtly said that the whole youth system has undergone some major renovations, and I hope these are positives.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
Rookie

Gnemi's Arena

OVR: 7

I've heard and read the same rumors, and I saw the tweet from the developer saying that it was all "majorly improved" yet there has been no announcement or video showing us the so-called improvements.

That worries me! If it really was improved, you'd think they'd be bragging about it.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #4
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Eh, I wouldn't be worried. They have their "back of the box" stuff that they want to promote. It's more up to marketing to advertise the game and talk about the big stuff that ALL gamers will really lock onto.

Honestly, until someone gets their hands on the game and just simulates through, we won't really know. Even if they did come out and show off progression more in-depth, I'd take it with a grain of salt. Every year that Tiburon has talked about how they've improved player progression and scouting in Madden, it never really pans out the way they make it seem.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
MVP

eyeamg0dly's Arena

OVR: 15

well they have kept their word so far, there is no reason not to believe them. i agree though, if this is done right this year, i might not play any other games till 14 is out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2012, 06:51 PM   #6
MVP

UK0wnag3's Arena

OVR: 14

Haha, a Cardiff joke. I like it.

On a serious note, though, this really needs to be fixed.
Arizona Cardinals
Phoenix Suns
Twitter
Old 09-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 8

I am just like you and fought with the system as much as I could last year. The pinnacle of my scouting was taking Universidad in Ireland, cheating a little so I had funds to get the best scouts, and scouting for years. Best scouts, as much playing time as possible, I generated two players to be over 80 in 10 years, a goalie and a striker (btw, all great strikers had the exact same mold, high finishing and long shots, below average speed and heading). I enjoyed that career more than any other despite the average results but I really hope they fixed it. I have some hope because all it would take is some minor tuning to allow different player types and higher progression.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:51 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

http://gamingbolt.com/fifa-13-interv...h-nick-channon

In case anyone hasn't seen this...it again mentions improvements to player growth, so hopefully there was a real effort made in that regard.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »