Home

The Uncanny Blocked Shot

This is a discussion on The Uncanny Blocked Shot within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #25
Rookie

Gnemi's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: The Uncanny Blocked Shot

Good post, Sean. I have nothing to add except to say that I think I'm beginning to feel that despite the precious few improvements like first touch, FIFA 12 was a better game. The first touch mechanism has been totally overwhelmed by the annoying blocked shots issue for me.

Anybody have a clue how this Complete Dribbling works? When I hold L1 and move the left stick, my guy just stands on the ball and starts to shift and wiggle with the ball under him but he's suddenly incapable of making a cut or actually generating meaningful space.

What's the point of this feature? Is it intended to be used in conjunction with other moves or something? Any pointers here very appreciated.

I messed with the Step Over trick last night and I have to say...thanks but no thanks. It's tedious to manage as it effectively amounts to throwing two Street Fighter fireballs and fussing with the left AND right stick in quick succession. I can't stand these sorts of features. *sigh*

I'd kill for one or two useful and easy to pull off dribbling moves to circumvent the Uncanny Blocked Shot. I'm all ears!

When I visit these sites that have the 2, 3, 4, 5 star skill moves, I'm reminded why FIFA really isn't made for guys like me. It's made for kids who cut their teeth on Tekken / Mortal Kombat, etc. First, I'm expected to remember which of my players has 2, 3, 4, or 5 stars for "Skill Moves" and then remember this giant menu of potential moves? Ugh. If it were completely incidental to success in the game, I'd be fine with it, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. This is the first year where I've felt utterly compelled to learn some of this crap.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2012, 04:16 PM   #26
MVP

eyeamg0dly's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnemi
Good post, Sean. I have nothing to add except to say that I think I'm beginning to feel that despite the precious few improvements like first touch, FIFA 12 was a better game. The first touch mechanism has been totally overwhelmed by the annoying blocked shots issue for me.

Anybody have a clue how this Complete Dribbling works? When I hold L1 and move the left stick, my guy just stands on the ball and starts to shift and wiggle with the ball under him but he's suddenly incapable of making a cut or actually generating meaningful space.

What's the point of this feature? Is it intended to be used in conjunction with other moves or something? Any pointers here very appreciated.

I messed with the Step Over trick last night and I have to say...thanks but no thanks. It's tedious to manage as it effectively amounts to throwing two Street Fighter fireballs and fussing with the left AND right stick in quick succession. I can't stand these sorts of features. *sigh*

I'd kill for one or two useful and easy to pull off dribbling moves to circumvent the Uncanny Blocked Shot. I'm all ears!

When I visit these sites that have the 2, 3, 4, 5 star skill moves, I'm reminded why FIFA really isn't made for guys like me. It's made for kids who cut their teeth on Tekken / Mortal Kombat, etc. First, I'm expected to remember which of my players has 2, 3, 4, or 5 stars for "Skill Moves" and then remember this giant menu of potential moves? Ugh. If it were completely incidental to success in the game, I'd be fine with it, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. This is the first year where I've felt utterly compelled to learn some of this crap.
yeah but most of the skill moves you dont really need to learn. roulette spin is a 3star move which is easy to do. heal chop is 4 star which is also easy to learn. scoop turn (or whatever it is called) is very easy to do and i think is 4 star as well. those with precision dribbling is enough. yeah its cool to do rabona fakes and rainbow flicks, but honestly its just showing off at that point.

there is also precision dribbling. you can really blow past players if you have good pace and timing. here is a video explaining it, the guy however isnt very good at doing it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf_S3rKtDQg . think of it like a crossover in basketball. you move horizontally one way and quickly shift and sprint the other way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotat...&v=IIUBjJCoFLA
better video of the dribbling technique

Last edited by eyeamg0dly; 10-20-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #27
Rookie

aarontab's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
I have nothing to add except to say that I think I'm beginning to feel that despite the precious few improvements like first touch, FIFA 12 was a better game. The first touch mechanism has been totally overwhelmed by the annoying blocked shots issue for me.
HOW DARE YOU!!! Lol, no, but seriously. It wasn't. Don't let the bad make you forget about how much worse the AI teammates were last year. Or how the impact engine was all wonky. Or how fouls were even more one sided (http://www.ea.com/soccer/videos/ugc/101868779 ...and there was no whistle). What about the transfer market in Manager Mode. No, Gnemi, I can't let this stand lol.

But i do see where you're coming from. I think it's pretty clear we agree almost 100% on things that frustrate us about the game. To echo what eyeamg0dly said, you really don't need any skill moves other than the easy to execute ones (spins on the wing have always been a gamechanger). If you're having problems generating offense it can't simply be down to skill moves, i promise you that.

Last edited by aarontab; 10-20-2012 at 08:10 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 10-21-2012, 04:22 AM   #28
Rookie

RagingTrav's Arena

OVR: 2

I've lowered the marking ability of the opponent which seems to fix it to some extent.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:20 AM   #29

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2

I am seeing way less of these since switching from manual shooting to semi-assisted.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:27 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubcity
I am seeing way less of these since switching from manual shooting to semi-assisted.
This.

I noticed it more once I had made the switch from assisted to manual. I think what happens is that with manual shooting, it takes longer to shoot. Your player needs to "wind up" more. Not fair IMO, because creating chances on full manual is infinitely harder, shooting on target is infinitely harder, so why add an extra layer of difficulty that doesn't exist with the other controls?
Old 10-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:

Actually, the complete dribbling (where the player kind of "sizes him up") is by holding L2 + R2 and moving the left stick. You can then explode away by flicking the RIGHT stick in any direction. One good move is to sprint forward, the hold L2 + R2 and move sideways, then flick the right stick left/right to explode away.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2012, 08:11 AM   #32
Rookie

T.O.'s Arena

OVR: 5

I stopped reading about halfway on the first post.

Two words: FAKE SHOT. And watch them CPU dummies bite

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »