Home

The Uncanny Blocked Shot

This is a discussion on The Uncanny Blocked Shot within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
Rookie

Gnemi's Arena

OVR: 7
The Uncanny Blocked Shot

I wasn't certain where to write this post as it could apply to a slider discussion, first impressions, or even a potential patch. A note on the latter though: We all know EA won't patch gameplay; after all, that's how you make $59.95 each year, but I digress.

The Uncanny Blocked Shot is in reference to the ability of the CPU defense to close 8-10 yards of space within a fraction of a second to put a boot, shin, thigh, or buttocks in front of a human attacker's shot attempt.

On one hand, I consider this a significant improvement to the game because good defenders will in fact give you precious few chances to crack the ball in or around their box. However, in FIFA 13, almost every midfielder and defender in the game (while controlled by the CPU) seem to have this ability. If there were a rating for this particular instinct, every player controlled by the CPU would be in the high 90's by default.

Assuming it's even possible and I'm doubtful, how can we address this issue? It's very frustrating to score on World Class / Legendary, something many (most?) of us have observed. This Uncanny Blocked Shot plays a big part in that. One of the more popular scenarios for me is stringing together 15-20 passes, get space in or around the box with a skilled attacking player ready to take a shot on goal. The instant I press the shoot button and build shot power, the nearest defender - whether he's 2 or 15 yards away, will collapse on me very quickly. It's as though I'm being encouraged to merely tap the shoot button to get the shot off, which results in a soft punt to the keeper. Very often, my attacking player will catch his shooting foot on a defender's outstretched studs. Sometimes, resulting in an injury!!!

So yeah, when combined with the frustration with a lack of fouls being called, this has become one of my biggest gripes with FIFA 13.

Am I the only one here? I haven't ruled out personnel. Maybe it's because my players aren't good enough? Most of my attacking midfielders and strikers are rated between 72 and 80. Maybe I have to have Ronaldo to prevent this from happening.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
Rookie

aarontab's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: The Uncanny Blocked Shot

I see this all the time. Unfortunately I don't think it's something that can be avoided or that will ever be fixed. We are just going to have to deal with it and realize it's part of FIFA reality. It's not dissimilar from "no matter how hard i pressed the pass button it's a slow rolling ball to the defense" and "I can't get the ball back from the CPU because even when I make a tackle it rolls directly to another of their players in a super unrealistic manner". Ask yourself this, could you even imagine a non-cheating version of FIFA? I definitely can't.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
Rookie

Gnemi's Arena

hahahahahaha...*cries*....so true.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
All Star

orion523's Arena

OVR: 21

I check these blocks over and over on replay to make sure there's no "warping" or anything odd going on, and thankfully there's not, players don't mysteriously get a speed boost or anything like that. They do however, especially on legendary work off one another very well, giving you precious few angles to shoot. To combat this I've figured a few things out:

-Use the AI defenders aggression against them, lately I've been getting great chances with slight skill moves, dribble moves.

-Back door passes, no not that kind, come on man. What I mean is very often when inside the area or just outside in the middle of the pitch, one of your attacking wide men will usually make a very good run to get behind the defense, the key is realizing this before/as he breaks. It's not easy, the box is usually crowded and you're under heavy duress but the runs are there.
-Take advantage of long shot ability, these can catch the CPU off guard, rebounds and spilled, trash is deposited into the net.

-crosses from out wide but just outside the area also cause chaos, dragging defenders out of position and potentially creating chances.

-DON'T GET FRUSTRATED!

If anyone else has any tips for getting your shots off against a legendary CPU, please add them here. Let's find solutions!!!
Old 10-16-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
Rookie

Gnemi's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion523
lately I've been getting great chances with slight skill moves, dribble moves.
This I believe to be the key, but I'm absolutely dreadful at skill moves.

I'd love to see a nice tutorial that explains just a few of these "slight" skill/dribbling moves, in particular the ones that are effective.

I'm not at all interested in the complicated stuff, no matter how effective. It's enough to micromanage 10 footballers within a tightly contested match. The last thing I can afford is to remember which FATALITY! combination will beat a defender 1v1.

What typically happens when I try to get cheeky dribbling has already been described by aarontab's post above: I smack the ball off a defender's shin, it rolls directly to one of his teammates and they go nuts on the counterattack.

Another observation worth making: The blocked shots themselves and the deflections that follow are comically absurd this year. I can't tell you how many times one of my attacking players will crank an 80% power (or higher) shot that gets blocked by the CPU and ricochets very gently three feet safely in front of the defender or his teammate. I *rarely* see a deflection head anywhere near the CPU's goal. It's like it magically loses almost all its velocity. The ball physics are pretty terrible in that regard.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

I don't play on legendary, but I know exactly what you're talking about. Last year I would just dribble in at a ~45 degree angle towards goal and curl a finesse shot around the defender into the upper v. This year finesse shots are so much less accurate they they are virtually worthless in this situation. Like the parent, i've found that a skill move is often enough to draw a foul which can be quite handy. I wish the fake shot had more of an effect, it never seems to cause much of a reaction except in a 1v1 situation with the keeper.

One of my favorite saved replays is where Wilshire collects a deflection about 25 yards out, chests it down in front of him, and winds up for a big left footed shot from just outside the box. CB comes charging forward like they always do, and tries to make the tackle. Ball goes right between the legs of the defender and into the lower right corner. One of the very few instances I've gotten the better of the CPU charging at me.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #7
Rookie

aarontab's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnemi
This I believe to be the key, but I'm absolutely dreadful at skill moves.

I'd love to see a nice tutorial that explains just a few of these "slight" skill/dribbling moves, in particular the ones that are effective.

I'm not at all interested in the complicated stuff, no matter how effective. It's enough to micromanage 10 footballers within a tightly contested match. The last thing I can afford is to remember which FATALITY! combination will beat a defender 1v1.

What typically happens when I try to get cheeky dribbling has already been described by aarontab's post above: I smack the ball off a defender's shin, it rolls directly to one of his teammates and they go nuts on the counterattack.

Another observation worth making: The blocked shots themselves and the deflections that follow are comically absurd this year. I can't tell you how many times one of my attacking players will crank an 80% power (or higher) shot that gets blocked by the CPU and ricochets very gently three feet safely in front of the defender or his teammate. I *rarely* see a deflection head anywhere near the CPU's goal. It's like it magically loses almost all its velocity. The ball physics are pretty terrible in that regard.
Last year they made your AI teammates back away from balls in the box to avoid all the rebound goals. This year they removed that, but to counteract it, they made it so the rebounds don't bounce to anybody who can make a play. I mean, sometimes they do. But realistically it's ust 6 of one, half dozen of the other. Progress!!!

Somebody has to explain to me why i love this game so much lol.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:33 PM   #8
Just started!

OVR: 0

Hello all,

I myself am quite awful at FIFA 13, but I have found these two tips to improve my offensive side of the game;

1) Fake shot and Fake cross. Immediately after pressing your shot or cross button you need to hit the X button. It tends to pull defenders out of position for a feed or shot and is very easy to execute.

2)I know you said you are not interested in learning the trick stick moves. I feel the same way but learning to use the step-over with first touch is very effective in one-on-one situations and clearing space for a shot. It is very easy to learn. Somebody left a link for a German player that has some quick and easy You-tube tutorials. I dont remember his name off-hand, but it is something to the effect of gamerkingXL(kind of guessing but a You tube search for FIFA 13 step-over tips should get you there). I was using the move effectively within a game or two.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »