Home

FIFA 13 - Custom Tactics for User

This is a discussion on FIFA 13 - Custom Tactics for User within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-19-2012, 10:14 AM   #1
Rookie

Gnemi's Arena

OVR: 7
FIFA 13 - Custom Tactics / Formations for User

We have several threads in the sliders discussion forum consisting of high quality sliders. In addition, Krebstar has once again generously committed time and energy toward AI custom tactics for Premiership teams.

I'm unaware of a thread that discusses Custom Tactics for users. I think everybody should experiment on their own to find a set of Custom Tactics that works for them within a given context, but it would also be nice to share the fruits of our labor with others.

I would get things started, but honestly, I have no idea what I'm doing in this regard. Hence, this thread.

Please use this thread to put forward your personal favorite(s), in the following format:

Name - E.g. "Lockdown"

Build-Up Play
Speed:
Pass Distance:
Positioning:

Chance Creation
Passing:
Crossing:
Shooting:
Positioning:

Defence
Pressure:
Aggression:
Team Width:
Defensive Line:

Formation (Optional):

Last edited by Gnemi; 01-25-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: FIFA 13 - Custom Tactics for User

I'm still tweaking Build-Up Play and Chance Creation, but for Defense I always have this:

Pressure - 85+
Aggression - 85+
Width - 35ish
Defensive Line - Cover

A high aggression is essential in my opinion. It not only helps defensively but also on offense because players follow through and try to win 50-50 balls. I'm okay with the slight increase in yellow cards because I usually stockpile depth on my career mode teams.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
Rookie

Gnemi's Arena

OVR: 7

Stay tuned. I'm going to resurrect this thread.

I'm surprised, as a community, we discuss this topic so little. It's one of the most important aspects of gameplay. In my opinion, it's equally important to sliders.

Right now, I'm tweaking my tactics and formations constantly but I'm coming up with great results that I'd like to share soon.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #4
Rookie

The Clairvoyant's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnemi
Stay tuned. I'm going to resurrect this thread.

I'm surprised, as a community, we discuss this topic so little. It's one of the most important aspects of gameplay. In my opinion, it's equally important to sliders.

Right now, I'm tweaking my tactics and formations constantly but I'm coming up with great results that I'd like to share soon.
I'm waiting for your tactics....
Old 03-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
Pro

globalbeats7's Arena

OVR: 5

two months later, he must still be tweaking said tactics.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
Pro

globalbeats7's Arena

OVR: 5

the problem with the defensive tactic section is that there needs to be a tactic for how closely you mark your men on your defensive half. really close and you dont give your opponent much time or space but risk getting beat behind. loose and you play it safe but allow the opponents time and space. because pressure only means how far up the pitch you pressure and aggression is not what it says it is. even with aggression at 100, your AI backs still give way too much time and space. and though the tactic at 100 technically means your defensive often doubles the ball, they dont.

the custom tactics are nice but they need alot of work for fifa14 and beyond.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #7
MVP

UK0wnag3's Arena

OVR: 14

Regarding quick tactics, is it just me, or does the "pressing" option on the D-Pad do barely anything?
Arizona Cardinals
Phoenix Suns
Twitter
Old 03-21-2013, 11:02 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

Sure, I'm game.

Build-Up Play
Speed: 70 (Fast, to encourage movement from teammates)
Pass Distance: 20 (Short, more options for ground passes and 1-2s)
Positioning: Organized (Seems to work better for me than Free Form)

Chance Creation
Passing: 70 (Risky, again, encourages more movement in the attacking area)
Crossing: 40 (Normal, still tinkering with this and shooting setting)
Shooting: 70 (Lots, I like having teammates short for shot layoffs)
Positioning: Organized (Again, gives me more the movement I'm looking for)

Defense
Pressure: 100 (High, this causes man marking high and wide up the pitch)
Aggression: 1 (Contain, no teammates diving in, they play for interceptions and man mark)
Team Width: 100 (Wide, keep defensive shape, man mark on far side)
Defensive Line: Offside Trap (Works well, better man marking on far side of pitch)

Formation (Optional): A slightly modified 4-3-3 (False 9) formation. I pushed all the defenders a few "clicks" up the pitch as well as edged the fullbacks outside a bit. I dropped the CF back a few "clicks" and narrowed the wingers. No positional arrows. And I leave the work-rates on player default just to encourage individual player work-rates to show.

Gameplan:
Okay, so I almost exclusively play career mode against the AI on legendary and in that context these tactics work very well. And I don't play with a bunch of superstars, my current starting 11 is: GK: Gazzaniga, RB: Trippier, RCB: Wynne, LCB: L.Wallace, LB: Gatt, CDM: Dier, RCM: Mackay-Steven, LCM: Donovan, RW: J****ssell, CF: Sigurdson, LW: J.Williams.... not exactly a bunch of superstars (although pretty speedy)... and after dominating the Championship I'm now undefeated in the Premier League through December of my first top flight season. I wanted to play a high line, so I chose speed over ability and size in defense to protect against balls over the top (although my defenders off the bench that are slower, but better with size and positioning do just fine).

Defense:
Anyways, the purpose was to create a formation that best mimics the high pressing the AI does in the last 10 minutes of games when the AI is down a goal or two. After a lot of tinkering with the custom defensive tactics, I settled on the settings above of 100/1/100. Pressure at 100 allows me to press the AI very high up the pitch with my entire team. I fiddled quite a bit with the Aggression setting and eventually discovered that setting it to 1 (seemingly counter to what I was trying to achieve) fixed a lot of the problems I was having with my defensive press. Do you ever have problems with AI teammates doing that stupid "stick the leg out animation" after passes they can't intercept? Well, setting aggression to 1 eliminates that. This is also tremendously helpful when defending your own penalty area as AI teammates can actually block shots while you can double with your user controlled player. And finally setting Width to 100 ensures that my team stays in formation positionally and once again, the off ball AI defenders stay tight to their man.

EDIT: Also, as defense relates to real life, many high pressing teams now teach players to rarely/never attempt to tackle opponent dribbling players, but instead try to contain/pressure those players to make bad passes or take long dribble touches and rely on teammates to intercept. Since missing a tackle in FIFA (as in real life) can be disastrous, I try to avoid pressing either tackle button unless I have my opponent clearly boxed in. Either I harass the opponent with player controlled pressure, or I hold the teammate pressure button as I try to position my player in position to intercept.

Now, for those who want to give this a try, keep in mind that for any tactic to be successfully it has to be played "correctly"... or at least in the spirit it was intended. The pressing only works really well if you are the sort of player that has a lot of offensive possession in the attacking half the field so that if/when you turn the ball over you have all your players already up field to press immediately. This really prevents your opponent from short passing out of the back and forces the early long ball... something you can hopefully recover quickly.

Offense:
Scoring goals has not typically been an issue for me as a long time FIFA player. I've consistently played a 4-3-3 type offense with overlapping fullbacks delivering crosses and fast wingers cutting inside for shots or layoffs to teammates. I slowly work the ball around the back 4 until I can deliver the ball into the central midfielders who can start 1-2 passes, through balls to wingers, or create space off the dribble. Speed on the outside is what I value most, and ball control, dribbling, and short passing is what I value in the center. I watch a lot of replays of potential scoring moves that break down and it's usually due to me making a bad decision between passing or shooting. (Sometimes you've gotta shoot early, sometimes you've gotta make that extra pass.) In order to not get destroyed on the counter attack, I make sure that my CDM stays back and central. He is always to be an outlet to swing the ball around the midfield. The 2 CBs also stay back leaving 3 players near the midfield line to guard against the counter attack. The FBs will get forward allowing me to attack with 7 players when in full possession. This will typically force the AI team to drop deep as well so you should still have enough (3) players back to prevent a quick counter.

Anyways, I don't post a lot, but I've spent waaay too much time in career modes over the last several FIFA's and this is a bit of the knowledge I've cobbled together over the years. Here are a few more sites I've come across that help me scout players and form tactics:

http://www.ea.com/uk/news/the-backpa...tributes-guide

http://fifaaddiction.com/tutorials/tactics/

Last edited by eatontj; 03-21-2013 at 11:16 PM. Reason: More explanation of defensive tactics.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »