Home

Can't score, can't score, can't score

This is a discussion on Can't score, can't score, can't score within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-05-2013, 02:31 AM   #17
Rookie

OpTiOnMaStA's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Can't score, can't score, can't score

It's a funny thing because scoring requires balance. You need to know when to be patient and when to be aggressive. As others have mentioned, I think you need to kind of feel the opponent out at first. It's ok to have set tactics that you want to try at first but as the game progresses you shouldn't be afraid to switch in order to exploit the opponent.

For aggressive teams I like to play counter-attack and try to hit them out of position. For teams that play more conservatively I will put on attacking.

Your FB should join your attack. I use one-two passes and triangle passing to pull the defense out of position on the wing and if you have a FB joining this attack I find it to really open things up and stress the defense.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #18
Pro

OVR: 1

So I thought I would update people on my progress since there are probably others who have had as much difficulty as me.

I tinkered with some of the sliders and made a big discovery (for me). Acceleration is EVERYTHING. I'm playing World Class level and basically by tweaking down acceleration for the CPU it completely changes the game. There's a ton more space and you have time to actually figure out how to do things. What is so punishing about the regular setting is that it's hard to learn because the CPU players react instantly to everything. I tried stuff like shot error, marking, and even sprint speed, and none of them made nearly as significant a difference as acceleration.

At first I set it all the way down to 42 or so and have been slowly edging it back up (I think I am currently at 46 and am still doing well). At the same time my career mode has made it to its third season so I have managed to acquire some very fast attackers. Now it is not unusual for me to manage 3 goals in a game. When I had it down at 43-44, it was really hampering AI offense to the point where they couldn't handle me at all, so that's another reason I've been raising it back up, so that they at least have a chance.

I am almost certain that on WC the AI gets a massive artificial burst to acceleration, because even with all other settings the same it's night and day. When I watch my own players play defense I see big spaces when the opponent gets near the box that I never see from the AI under normal acceleration values.

Anyway, to me this is the key to learning offense as I have now been able to pull off scoring a lot of different ways as well as I'm starting to get the hang of through balls and other types of passes. Hopefully I can continue to tweak it back towards 50 or at least a point where I have found a good balance between fun and challenge as I get better.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #19
Rookie

jenglund's Arena

OVR: 7

Great thread. I am/was basically having the same problem.

I've been on Pro for a while, and it's ridiculous how hard it is to get any separation in the box. I just couldn't get a good shot off.

I switched to World Class, lowered AI acceleration (and increased passing errors) and I'm now having a great time. The AI is more aggressive and can still get good looks (which they could not on Pro) and I can now get get my good looks as well. I finally scored 2 goals in a game last night!

Really, for the first time, I'm having fun with FIFA 13 by finding a good balance of being able to score some, but also having the AI able to score.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #20
MVP

boxboy99's Arena

OVR: 23

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I have been using some of the tips and getting a little better. I'm playing pro 6 minutes and it seems almost too short to me. Should I just stick with 6 and hope my goals increase as I get better or should I add a minute or two for each half?
2017: 93-69 - Swept by Red Sox in World Series
2018: 100-62 - Swept by Dodgers in NLCS
2019: 14-11
Old 01-10-2013, 11:53 PM   #21
Rookie

4EverBlowingBubbles's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxboy99
I'm pretty much in the same boat. I have been using some of the tips and getting a little better. I'm playing pro 6 minutes and it seems almost too short to me. Should I just stick with 6 and hope my goals increase as I get better or should I add a minute or two for each half?
You should give longer halves a try. 10 minutes, perhaps? I personally play 15-minute halves. You'll definitely get enough time to adjust to your opponents playing style and see what tactical approches work best. When playing shorter halves I always feel limited, like rushing things and not being able to create good goal scoring chances.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #22
MVP

boxboy99's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverBlowingBubbles
You should give longer halves a try. 10 minutes, perhaps? I personally play 15-minute halves. You'll definitely get enough time to adjust to your opponents playing style and see what tactical approches work best. When playing shorter halves I always feel limited, like rushing things and not being able to create good goal scoring chances.
Yeah, with the short halves I always feel like I have to rush my attacks. I'm starting to feel more confident in my attack. My defense is usally pretty solid but for some reason when I do finally score the computer finds a way to put one scoring attack together to even up the match. If I look at the league table my GF and GA is quite a bit below the other teams.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #23
Rookie

4EverBlowingBubbles's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxboy99
Yeah, with the short halves I always feel like I have to rush my attacks. I'm starting to feel more confident in my attack. My defense is usally pretty solid but for some reason when I do finally score the computer finds a way to put one scoring attack together to even up the match. If I look at the league table my GF and GA is quite a bit below the other teams.
Yes, I know! It happened to me a lot when I first switched to Lengedary mode. The CPU would always find a chance to score a late killer goal or the equalizer. It was frustrating, to say the least. My defense would be like an impenetrable spartan phalanx but once the infamous 80 minute cpu comeback effect kicked in... oh boy! I couldn't keep any cleen sheets. It took some time but now I feel I've gotten better at defending. Right at the 80 minute mark I get defensive. I play more possession and keep the ball moving from player to player. I don't even try to dribble past opponents anymore. I contain and wait patiently for them to make a passing mistake. I still get my *ss handed to me from time to time though. Such is football, I guess. Yesterday, I lost a npower League 2 match to a far superior side. (Fleetwood Town 5 - 2 York City) I currently sit in 9th position in my York City career.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #24
MVP

boxboy99's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverBlowingBubbles
Yes, I know! It happened to me a lot when I first switched to Lengedary mode. The CPU would always find a chance to score a late killer goal or the equalizer. It was frustrating, to say the least. My defense would be like an impenetrable spartan phalanx but once the infamous 80 minute cpu comeback effect kicked in... oh boy! I couldn't keep any cleen sheets. It took some time but now I feel I've gotten better at defending. Right at the 80 minute mark I get defensive. I play more possession and keep the ball moving from player to player. I don't even try to dribble past opponents anymore. I contain and wait patiently for them to make a passing mistake. I still get my *ss handed to me from time to time though. Such is football, I guess. Yesterday, I lost a npower League 2 match to a far superior side. (Fleetwood Town 5 - 2 York City) I currently sit in 9th position in my York City career.
Yeah, I probably need to keep the ball moving late and play more defensive. Right now I just want to get scoring down so I have been staying agressive late. It seems most of the goals I give up are on long crosses. I'm not sure I have even scored 1 cross on this game. I can never get my guys into position. I try to jockey but it seems I always lose the battle.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »