Home

FIFA 14 Videos & Screenshots - Living Worlds Trailer & Gameplay (PS4, Xbox One)

This is a discussion on FIFA 14 Videos & Screenshots - Living Worlds Trailer & Gameplay (PS4, Xbox One) within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeats
Actually, an EA rep stated last week that FIFA next-gen plays about the same as current-gen, and that the Ignite improvements have to do with visuals. That can be seen in these videos IMO. The player movements, player positioning and overall gameplay flow appears to be identical to current-gen. I get no sense of any kind of improved on-the-pitch experience, certainly no sense that footplanting or player momentum plays any role in the gameplay.
if he said that then that must be only for fifa this because i know for a fact that the engine is suppose to improve the foot planting which is one of things madden is suppose to have as well..so maybe they didn't have time to had that change to fifa but at the same time fifa was already pretty much good in some of these areas compared to madden but if you go to easports.com and look at ignite engine page it will show you all of the things that it suppose to do and it is not just visual.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #18
Rookie

ianlast's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: FIFA 14 Videos - Living Worlds Trailer & Gameplay (PS4, Xbox One)

Quote:
Actually, an EA rep stated last week ago that FIFA next-gen plays about the same as current-gen, and that the Ignite improvements have to do with visuals. That can be seen in these videos IMO. The player movements, player positioning and overall gameplay flow appears to be identical to current-gen. I get no sense of any kind of improved on-the-pitch experience, certainly no sense that footplanting or player momentum plays any role in the gameplay.
Thanks, that would make sense. I got no sense from those videos that player movement was in any way improved from current-gen FIFA.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianlast
Thanks, that would make sense. I got no sense from those videos that player movement was in any way improved from current-gen FIFA.
It could be the smoother animations and transition animations will add to the overall gameplay, so who knows. Also, I read a preview of FIFA 14 current-gen, and the reviewer was commenting on how the improved player momentum made the game feel almost too sluggish. So it could be improvements were in fact made to area of the gameplay as well.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #20
Rookie

Quote:
Actually, an EA rep stated last week that FIFA next-gen plays about the same as current-gen, and that the Ignite improvements have to do with visuals. That can be seen in these videos IMO. The player movements, player positioning and overall gameplay flow appears to be identical to current-gen. I get no sense of any kind of improved on-the-pitch experience, certainly no sense that footplanting or player momentum plays any role in the gameplay.
Gamescom: FIFA 14 - The Next-Gen Difference is in the Detail
Next-gen football is series of small steps forward rather than one giant leap.
by Alex Simmons AUGUST 21, 2013
At a quick glance the differences between FIFA 14 on current-gen and Xbox One and PS4 aren’t immediately apparent. Sure, the graphics are sharper, the players move with greater fluidity and the crowds look and sound more alive than ever before, but first impressions are that it’s very much business as usual. Likewise, when you spend time out on the pitch there’s a sense of familiarity, that this is the FIFA you know and love.

The reality is, FIFA 14 on next-gen isn’t a giant leap forward, either as a football experience or a technological showcase to impress your mates with. There are better games to show off the grunt of Xbox One and PS4, and FIFA 14 on current-gen is already as good a football game you can want. But what next-gen FIFA does offer are handful of subtle improvements that, together, refine the gameplay so it feels reassuringly familiar, but at the same time sufficiently different.

We’ve already covered FIFA 14’s trio of new features – True Player Motion, Human Intelligence and Living Worlds - in detail, but now we’ve had the chance to play a newer version of the game and for longer, it’s only now we can see the differences in play.

Take True Player Motion – essentially it means the players move and react more realistically, and it’s most noticeable when your player is preparing to take a shot. Previously, when shooting on goal players entered a fixed animation, which was the same whether you were toe-poking the ball or curling a shot from the outside of your boot. Now it’s completely contextual – players will take a half-step to make sure they can take the ball on their favoured foot; they’ll open their body and change shape to curl a shot into the top corner. Indeed, players have a greater sense of weight and momentum than before, so the passes they’re able to play will depend on the speed and direction of their run, and of course their ability as a player.

Ball movement feels more realistic too. It’s only a small detail, but ping a cross from one side of the pitch to the other and it’ll swerve in the air, depending on the spin from the kick. It’s a nice touch and real helps bring the game to life.

Importantly, anyone familiar with FIFA and indeed football will feel comfortable with these improvements because they occur dynamically, meaning you don’t need to learn new skills to use them – they happen automatically, depending on the circumstances of the situation, so the position of the ball, the player, and so on. If the ball is coming in high you’ll automatically take it on your chest to control it; if it’s lower your player will trap it using his feet. Admittedly they’re not next-gen-defining leaps forward, but these incremental changes add up and together make FIFA on PS4 and Xbox One more fluid, realistic and ultimately satisfying.

Elsewhere, it definitely feels like the other players in your team are smarter; strikers are much more active on making runs and putting pressure on the back four, while defenders will cluster together to make it harder to break through on goal.

The changes off the pitch really help bring the game to life, too. If a ball goes out for a throw-in a ball-boy will scamper along the sidelines, pick it up and roll in to the awaiting player; if the ball is booted into row Z, the crowd will toss it back. And sometimes, just like in the real game, the ball-boy will grab a spare and throw it back while the other ball is still on the pitch. meaning you have to wait for it to be kicked out of play before continuing. It’s a nice touch and because there are no breaks in the action – the camera stays on the ball at all times and only cuts away for replays of goals, fouls and near-misses – there are times when you’d be forgiven for thinking you were watching a real match on television.

The same goes for the introduction scenes before each game, which have been a big focus on next-gen. Prior to kick-off the camera sweeps around the stadium and takes in the surrounding area, adding an element of spectacle to the game. Again, a nice touch, although I’m not convinced it’s something you’d sit through time and again.

Lastly, there’s the crowd. For the first time in a football game all 80,000 fans are fully realised, chanting, cheering and waving throughout the game. The roar of the crowd gets louder the more you dominate play, plus they’ll pick out individual players if they’re playing well. But the impact of the crowd is purely superficial – the home team won’t get a morale boost from playing at their ground.

FIFA 14 is a confident step forward rather than a bold reinvention, then. Importantly, it will be as fully-featured as the current-gen game, so Matchday and Ultimate Team will again be the backbone of the game. There’s Legends too, so if you’re playing on Xbox One – and, for that matter, Xbox 360 – you get access to 40 footballing legends to boost your ultimate team.

So the question is, will you be buying the current-gen game when it comes out in September or wait a couple of months for next-gen? Based on what I’ve played, waiting that little bit longer will be worth it.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/21/gamescom-fifa-14-the-next-gen-difference-is-in-the-detail
Old 08-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #21
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianlast
there are improvements but not enough to make you go crazy..you would have to play current gen and then go to next gen to see the little difference between the two...the problem is fifa already had a good game so they haven't really made any huge changes in their game this year..just from what i seen and heard so maybe 2015 will be a bigger jump but this its not
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #22
MVP

Thanks for the article. So it does say there is a "greater sense of weight and momentum than before" in FIFA 14 next-gen, so that's something. I'm on the PC and I'm not going next-gen, so it really doesn't matter to me. I said a while back that if current-gen FIFA has incorporated player momentum this year, that's probably the one and only reason I'd consider getting it. So we'll see.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #23
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoaxum
there are improvements but not enough to make you go crazy..
As in crazy happy there's finally player momentum in the game? Cause that kind of crazy would be a good thing.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #24
Rookie

Quote:
As in crazy happy there's finally player momentum in the game? Cause that kind of crazy would be a good thing.
lol well yea but you know everybody looks for different things in their gameplay but that it is good improvement but i glad you like the article...we gamers got to stick together lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »