Home

Trying To Make FIFA 13 Fun

This is a discussion on Trying To Make FIFA 13 Fun within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: Trying To Make FIFA 13 Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by boblight24
I should have clarified that one. I'll be doing 3 tournaments at each 'location.' 2, 32-team league/knockout tournaments, and 1 16 team tournament for poorly ranked/rated teams.
I thought you wanted to be able to keep track of and compare goal leaders and team stats and such. Playing three separate tourneys kind of defeats that purpose doesn't it?

Last edited by Yeats; 09-06-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #26
MVP

Hey bob, I grew up in the era before video games. The sports games I played as a kid required keeping track of stats with a pencil and paper. Been thinking about it and it sounds like this is what you're up to. Old school.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #27
Rookie

boblight24's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeats
Hey bob, I grew up in the era before video games. The sports games I played as a kid required keeping track of stats with a pencil and paper. Been thinking about it and it sounds like this is what you're up to. Old school.
You know it brother. I've given up my college ruled sprial notebook and graph paper, though, now we are Excel on ROIDS. I have spreadsheets galore set up for this. In fact I don't play a sports sim, without first thinking of how I can create an environment where I can use spreadsheets to keep track of stats that most earthlings find meaningless. I take a lot of time setting them up, but once we starting playing games, all I have to do is plug in a number here and there and the rest is done for me thanks to Pivot Tables and VLOOKUP. I play the games, sim the CPU games, take screenshots with the smartphone and plop down with the laptop whilst the little woman is watching Real Housewives of Who Gives A Crap and plug in my data. I am so excited about this soccer universe I almost want to call in sick to work one day! All I need to do is get the ratings on the club teams and set up an initial rankings screen and we are off!

Stay tuned!!
"A two count is routine. You kick out at two if you aren’t done. Kicking out at one is a MESSAGE. It says NO in capital letters. A middle finger. A promise that the other man is going to have to kill you if they’re going to put you down." ~ Brandon Stroud
Old 09-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #28
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by boblight24
In fact I don't play a sports sim, without first thinking of how I can create an environment where I can use spreadsheets to keep track of stats that most earthlings find meaningless.
Takes me back man. Ultimate Team cards and dressing players up in Nike footwear are to today's gamers what spreadsheets and stat-tracking were to our generation, heh.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:56 AM   #29
Rookie

boblight24's Arena

OVR: 4

OK, here is where we stand. 80 teams is just too darn many. I was trying to run 3 different tournaments (32,32,16) incorporating national and club teams and the amount of time I spent pulling all the data together for my stat spreadsheets compared to the actual gameplay time was about 10:1, which means more work than play makes this game no fun.

That's not what we want. I'm going to go back to my original plan and use national teams only, and run 12-15 tournaments and then a "World Cup" style finale. I have a ranking system already worked out and just need to tweak the details a little bit. I absolutely love club teams, but my first real memory of watching soccer, and the one I always think about when playing FIFA is the 1986 World Cup from Mexico.

I was running these other tournaments playing 4 team groups playing each team 2x, that was also an issue. I've decided that some national tournaments will have 4 team groups that play once or twice and there will be some with 8 team groups, not every tournament will be the same. I can cut the actual number of teams almost in half using only national teams as well. If anyone knows if there is a site where I can download the FIFA 13 rosters from that would be ideal.

Once I get all the details sorted out, I will start it up and begin a new thread.
"A two count is routine. You kick out at two if you aren’t done. Kicking out at one is a MESSAGE. It says NO in capital letters. A middle finger. A promise that the other man is going to have to kill you if they’re going to put you down." ~ Brandon Stroud
Old 03-22-2014, 03:07 PM   #30
Just started!

millerthedalles's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeats
I wanted to mention something important about the player lock feature in career mode, kind of crucial really. Even though you're controlling one player only, you can still command your teammates to pass the ball to you, or to shoot (good when you're sniffing for rebounds). There's also a thru-ball command in BAP that doesn't seem to work very well in career if at all, but whatever. My point is it makes playing as one player that much more enjoyable and immersive when you can control other aspects of the gameplay. Just something to consider.
what level do you play at?

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »