Home

Can't score "team" goals, never concede any either.

This is a discussion on Can't score "team" goals, never concede any either. within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Can't score "team" goals, never concede any either.

So, I'm at the point now where Professional difficulty is just too easy but World Class is incredibly frustrating. I can ping the ball around midfield well enough, but once I get near the box I NEVER seem to find a good final ball to score. EVER. Team goals just don't ever happen. The only goals I ever score are by a) streaking a winger down the flank from midfield, spamming sprint, and cutting in to shoot or square at the last minute, or b)getting the ball to a CF just outside the box and turning the last defender for a 1-on-1 with the keeper. Both feel like exploits so I try not to rely on them, but I can't figure out any other way to score. When using automatic through balls the computer always seems to pick a pass through the center rather than to the edge, meaning it's impossible to score Theo Walcott-style goals, but with manual through balls I find that the CPU suddenly develops the uncanny ability to intercept everything once the ball crosses the 18 yard line, unless I try to pass a little harder in which case it inevitably rockets behind for a goal kick. Crosses are even worse: every cross seems to end up at the edge of the box, never near a forward, and that's with automatic crossing.

Likewise, the CPU NEVER creates good team goals. It only scores off corners or when I make some kind of obvious gaffe like switching players by accident or because the CPU decides to make one of my players back off challenging a high ball for no particular reason. Almost never do I concede a goal and think "Wow, the CPU really set that up perfectly."

Now, I'm obviously not a great player, but I've put maybe 30 hours into this damned game and have just totally hit a wall of frustrating 0-0 draws and 0-1 defeats. It seems like there's a fun, challenging game down there somewhere but I'm just not getting it! Professional doesn't offer any challenge, so how does one go about creating real team goals in World Class, and what settings encourage the CPU to create threatening chances of their own? Hell, I'd even settle for an arcade-like scorefest; as much as I value realism I'd prefer a fun game more than anything!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: Can't score "team" goals, never concede any either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightycw
Team goals just don't ever happen. Likewise, the CPU NEVER creates good team goals.
An age-old issue with FIFA that as to do with the dated game engine. The player positional logic in FIFA is designed for wide-open play: lots of goals that way plus the game is meant to be a simple and fun representation of the real sport. That's why you'll mostly see 4 defenders taking on 2-3 attackers with the rest of the 13-14 players standing around upfield watching. Midfielders barely ever join in the attack, and as for defenders... fuggedaboutit.

The good news is the line sliders go a long way to help change the positional logic so as to create a more realistic and team-inclusive football experience. I play on Legendary, so I use a very defensive line slider setup. The CPU always starts games like gangbusters, so I start the game with my height and length line sliders at 0. This forces all my players to come back to my box to help defend. Here are a couple of examples of how changing line sliders changes the positional logic:

Last edited by Yeats; 09-14-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 12

Another way force your midfielders and defenders to join the attack is to create custom attack formations. Again because of the positional logic, players in FIFA tend to be locked into position-specific areas of the pitch. To get more midfielders to join the attack, create a custom formation with 3 AMFs. To get defenders to move up, reassign defenders to midfielder roles if possible. (You may have to go with a 3-4-3 or something.) I'm on the PC so I'm able to create formations with 8 or 9 FWs if I wish. I use a formation like that in the dying minutes of the game when I need a goal. My FWs flood the CPU's box (good thing) but it leaves me suicidally open to the counter attack which the CPU always and immediately jumps on (very bad thing).

Another thing that works (if possible on the console, not sure it is): change your back line RB RCB LCB LB positions to RWB RB LB LWB. Because of the way the positional logic works, all CB positions in the game do not press forward; they hang back at midfield, even when your team is banging away in the CPU's box. RBs and LBs however will move up to join the attack, as will RWBS and LWBs.

Last but not least, keep in mind there are player and team workrates to consider. Choose players with high attack workrates when you want offense. And set your team's attack attitude to high as well, utilizing both team tactics and the in-game d-pad attack commands.

Last edited by Yeats; 09-14-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:39 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

Sounds like I can start by playing with the line sliders to open the game a bit more based on my (lack of) skill. Thanks.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »