Home

FIFA 14 Impressions

This is a discussion on FIFA 14 Impressions within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-23-2013, 05:18 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: FIFA 14 Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibi310
That was Ea's big push. Not allabout pace, fend off defenders. But pace is still king, except against slow defenders. Ended up selling Neymar and Reus for Guardado and Gomez.
I'll do a thorough check once I have the full game, but you're correct: typically, FIFA relies mostly on speed/movement ratings to differentiate top teams from lower teams, and the great players from the average. In last year's default roster for example, there were 70 EPL players rated 80+ in both speed and accel, 20 in The Championship, and 2 in League One. I have a copy of the FIFA 14 database and, at first glance, nothing's changed that I can see.

Last edited by Yeats; 09-23-2013 at 05:29 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #18
MVP

drunkenferret's Arena

OVR: 2

Online play (Ultimate Team especially) is vastly different from offline play for obvious reasons, unfortunately. Serious footy fans play both offline and online, but serious simulation players only play offline, and so that is where you find your most realistic games. Ultimate Team is never going to be serious sim, because most UT players don't want a sim, and so pace rules. The only time pace matters offline is on the counter if a brilliant thruball is fed through to a pacey attacker, and even then the defense begins to close, but with the right positioning you can get shots off before they get you. Believe me I used to exploit pace, but now it does not matter near so much because it gives you less control.

Offline the game is becoming a dream of simulation, and I am seeing none of the problems you guys are seeing online. I play World Class, slow speed, 15 minute halves, adjusted sliders. I am getting games similar to ones I watch every week in the EPL. Are my defenders perfect, hell no, but usually take control. I rarely give up more than a goal in a match, and lat night I had a match where the CPU had 18 shots on goal, and I kept a clean sheet! Defense is about marking, if you shadow the dribbler then can call a teammate to pressure him. When I give up goals it is either because I was stupid, or my one only real pet peeve on defense concerning balls over the top catching defenders standing still, which is still a small concern at times.

Example: Players Spurs last night with Chelsea..some stats on 15 minute halves:

Final Score: Chelsea-4 Spurs-0

Total Shots: Chelsea-13 Spurs-18
On Target: Chelsea-9 Spurs-8
Tackles: Chelsea-21 Spurs-22
Possession: Chelsea-49% Spurs-51%
Pass %: Chelsea-79% Spurs-81%
Fouls: Chelsea-3 Spurs-4
Corners: Chelsea-5 Spurs-4
Yellows: Chelsea-0 Spurs-1
Reds: 0

In the end, because I don't play other humans much I don't know how good I really am. Haven't played UT since 2012 when my record was about .500. Couldn't stand playing people who simply won by gaming the system, exploiting the glitches in the game. I'm almost 39, and if the CPU ai can give me a proper or near proper game of football then I'm more than happy with it. Is FIFA 14 perfect...no, but it seems much better than any of the previous incarnations of both FIFA and PES.

The only negative in my mind at the moment is that I now have to play 15min halves to get realistic results, which means it will take me longer to get through a season than in years past, but that's an issue I'm willing to deal with.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #19
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush
Question: Any updates to player editing?
Anyone?

Old 09-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #20
We Go Again

VTPack919's Arena

OVR: 22

I have been playing all weekend and I have to say. Pace is NOT king anymore. If anything, the strength attribute means more. In my ultimate team I tested this with two CBS lower than 65 pace and had no problems defending fast players.

If you would have attempted to do this in 13 you would have been skinned alive by the pacier players. I don't know if my game plays differently then what a couple of you are seeing but it is a stark contrast to last years game in that regard.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #21
We Go Again

VTPack919's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibi310
I still can't believe that pace is all that matters in this POS game. So much for defending the ball.
I never really bought into the handicap on UT, but of course I never had a really good team. This time around I have a pretty solid team, (Isco, Ramos, Neymar, Reus) and I can't win an online game to save my life. I'm not losing by 1 or 2 goals, I'm getting beat 0 to 5+.
The only game in was winning 3 to 0,the guy scored two goals in the 45th minute and went on to score another 5 in the second half. My defenders just stood there and watched his attackers go through every time. He had a very pacey front line and a dead slow back line, but still, Terry and Puyol can keep up with Reus and Neymar without a problem.

I'm seriously thinking of selling my whole team and just make a good silver team, gold teams are apparently overrated and useless.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
If pace is all that matters how are you losing with guys like Neymar, Reus, and Ramos? I am dominating with Michu and I think he is around 70 pace.

If you are getting beaten by through balls try running a 3-5-2. The 3 center backs and 2 CDMs will help clog the middle and stop the through balls. You will be exposed on the flank but it might be a good trade if that is your weakness.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #22
Rookie

pezone's Arena

OVR: 7

am I the only one who thinks this game plays really sluggish this year?

At least Online it does...not sure about offline.

First Touch is just horrible IMO.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #23
MVP

drunkenferret's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezone
am I the only one who thinks this game plays really sluggish this year?

At least Online it does...not sure about offline.

First Touch is just horrible IMO.
No, it does play slower, and feels sluggish at first, but that is because you're used to players ignoring physics, and moving about the field as if they're riding on rails. After close to twenty hours playing, I don't really notice it anymore, as it has become the new normal. Give it a little time. If you watch a lot of soccer, you can see that the game better reflects the actual game now, I think.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #24
We Go Again

VTPack919's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenferret
No, it does play slower, and feels sluggish at first, but that is because you're used to players ignoring physics, and moving about the field as if they're riding on rails. After close to twenty hours playing, I don't really notice it anymore, as it has become the new normal. Give it a little time. If you watch a lot of soccer, you can see that the game better reflects the actual game now, I think.
Agreed. This is a much better reflection of the sport. Comes of as sluggish at first because of how far from reality fifa had been.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »