Home

FIFA 14 Impressions

This is a discussion on FIFA 14 Impressions within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #33
We Go Again

VTPack919's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: FIFA 14 Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibi310
That's what I don't understand.
Neymar and Reus couldn't get through Puyol, Terry and Kaboul. But his Higuain and Ba always got through Ramos, Pique, and Mascherano. I run a 352,just switched to a 41212 and got Alba and Alves seems to be a bit better. Also switched Neymar and Reus for Gomez and Guardado.

It just seems like my players are out of sync. They don't make runs even if I trigger them, defenders are always caught sleeping, and goalie, (Valdez) just loses track of the ball.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
Well the link between Reus and Neymar is 0 chem, so that could be effecting your offensive success. I don't know it's hard to say. I always try to keep my team at a 4.5 star overall in ultimate team because I seem to do worse the better the players are.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #34
jb1
Rookie

OVR: 7

Personally I think this game is much improved over 13. I haven't enjoyed playing any FIFA game offline this generation apart from the WC 2010 game but 14 looks like the game to change that.

Firstly the games feel much slower all-round which was needed, the CPU will no longer just look for the quickest route to goal and will actually move the ball around playing some nice football and staying patient. They will punish mistakes which they should and what I like is that if you keep your discipline and shape you can keep clean sheets. I haven't kept one yet in 5 games but thats my fault.

I've read some people annoyed with the first touches of players but that's football and should be replicated in the game. Honestly, try watching Marlon Harewood's first touch on a regular basis, it ain't pretty! I know it's not perfect of course and can lead to some ugliness but it's definetly a step in the right direction. Speaking of Marlon he's a big lad and that's something that I think FIFA has got wrong for many years, not letting big strikers be effective enough but this year Marlon (and other big men) are effective and not a chore to use or just put on the bench. Infact so far my quick striker has hardly got into the games which is actually pretty refreshing.

Holding the ball up with a big man is also a thing of beauty and this year as they should be they can be dominate in the air. Possibly they are slightly overpowered right now but still, it's a massive improvement of what we've seen so far.

The CPU getting in your face and clogging up the midfield is also much better, doesn't happen every game which is right but when it does you know you are in for battle but again this is realistic and can be beat by playing smart.

There are problems though, too many times i've seen my AI teammates stop when they should be going for the ball. Other than that I haven't seen too much that has really bothered me yet and sliders can certainly help in some apsects if necessary.

I do also play online a lot, both H2H and FUT and that also feels much better. It's slower and pace has clearly been toned down, you can still be caught out with the chipped ball over the top but nowhere near as much as in previous versions. It's got to the point in the past where I have simply not used that tactic as I've always felt guilty doing so but I'm pretty happy with it so far. In all my games online only in one game did I get beat like that. My advice to those struggling with that tactic is to look to force the opposition out wide, using two CDM's is my go to move in that regard but also three at the back when needed.

UT itself looks good this year, I love the new look of the menus and searching for players, consumables, staff etc is so much easier (although why it took them this long to make it so I don't know).

My only real problem with FIFA online is that it is still far too easy to score from corners. It's too easy offline aswell come to think about it.

One obvious issue is that slow down being experienced when navigating menus but we'll see whether that's an issue on the disc, I suspect it may well be but I can live with it.

Overall I think we have a great game this year, i'm not quite ready to proclaim it the best game on the pitch i've ever played but for the all round product on offer here this is the best football game I have ever purchased.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #35
MVP

razorkaos's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnemi
I'm sorry, but every time an online / UT pace kiddie gets upset about FIFA '14, I literally jump for joy. The most flattering thing that can be said about the new FIFA is that 12 year-olds might not like it.

AT LONG LAST...EA HAVE GIVEN SIM FANS A GAME WORTH PLAYING!
we share the same feeling! when i was reading the comments on the facebook (EA Sports page), i could see how angry these kids were, they were even saying "i'm not buying the game, this sh*t is horrible! It's soooo slow".

that made me smile and laugh out loud hahahahah
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2013, 01:17 PM   #36
Blowing bubbles

Cpre5's Arena

OVR: 17

Again I really like the play from different teams, after having West Ham just lob pass me to death. So far its the 1st team I played that kept trying to get runs by lob passing repeatedly. Nothing kills a game like watching each team play the same, and FIFA 14 has done a great job and separating team play style even more.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #37
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpre5
Here is a quick video Me as Chelsea vs West Ham My AI team doesn't try to defend but keeps a safe space from the CPU. If I'm in the CPU box I'm getting crushed

And Goal Kicks

1st is a CPU GK, my AI doesn't try for possession
Spoiler

2nd same thing but worse spacing
Spoiler

3rd is me doing the kick and you see the CPU is all over me fighting for possession
Spoiler

No one will argue with you about your findings. This conversation has been going on in the FIFA forum since FIFA 08. I even posted FIFA 08 videos myself that are similar to these. However, over the course of the last 5 editions of FIFA this type of nonsense can be overcome with a different approach to playing defense and now, finally, with slider adjustments. Use the options available, try different playing styles, and believe it or not, change your formation. Good luck!
Old 09-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #38
Blowing bubbles

Cpre5's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by therizing02
No one will argue with you about your findings. This conversation has been going on in the FIFA forum since FIFA 08. I even posted FIFA 08 videos myself that are similar to these. However, over the course of the last 5 editions of FIFA this type of nonsense can be overcome with a different approach to playing defense and now, finally, with slider adjustments. Use the options available, try different playing styles, and believe it or not, change your formation. Good luck!
I don't have an issue playing defense, I have an issue with my AI teammates defense and wondering why people just accept it. No sliders or Formation changes will make your AI team go for tackles in Manager mode, yet they can in Player mode. And I said I use sliders and again nothing changes the basic issue that the user must be all players in order to make it a fun game.

What sliders or formation will stop my AI team from backing away from a rebound/deflected? none

Also, teammate contain is disabled on legacy defense.

I want a better game, and that happens by people talking about the issues and coming together to pressure the developer to make changes. We shouldn't need to mask the issues with gimmicks.

I don't hate the game, but I'm getting tired of couple basic AI issues showing up every year. In FIFA 11 my AI team fought for possession on GKs, but in 12-14 they wont go near the ball unless I can click on them and do it myself.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #39
MVP

drunkenferret's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
I don't have an issue playing defense, I have an issue with my AI teammates defense and wondering why people just accept it. No sliders or Formation changes will make your AI team go for tackles in Manager mode, yet they can in Player mode. And I said I use sliders and again nothing changes the basic issue that the user must be all players in order to make it a fun game.

What sliders or formation will stop my AI team from backing away from a rebound/deflected? none

I want a better game, and that happens by people talking about the issues and coming together to pressure the developer to make changes. We shouldn't need to mask the issues with gimmicks.

I don't hate the game, but I'm getting tired of couple basic AI issues showing up every year. In FIFA 11 my AI team fought for possession on GKs, but in 12-14 they wont go near the ball unless I can click on them and do it myself.
Should be interesting to see, but EA are claiming that multiple players will go up and fight for the ball on set pieces on the next gen consoles. If that is the case, then maybe this issue, which annoys all, including me may finally be taken care of on FIFA 15. Here's to hoping!
Old 09-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #40
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:

Yes... and in its place is the arguably more useful secondary press. The nearest CPU teammate will close down the ball and even attempt a tackle, hence the suggestion you try it. Not a fix to all the issues with CPU teammate defending, but perhaps something to improve your experience.

Personally, I feel like my teammates do more when I play with manual switching. However, it makes defending corners much more difficult (although I'm experimenting with playing GK during set pieces now) and can costs me some chances on hard ground crosses.

Last edited by Qb; 09-23-2013 at 02:19 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »