Home

Serious Question - Is Career Mode Even Playable and Do Sliders Even Matter?

This is a discussion on Serious Question - Is Career Mode Even Playable and Do Sliders Even Matter? within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Serious Question - Is Career Mode Even Playable and Do Sliders Even Matter?

The reason I ask is that my frustration level with this game is beyond ridiculous now. I have spent the last week or so trying to get a set of sliders that I believe is reasonable. I realize the game plays differently this year and I do believe I have adjusted. I kind of like the fact that every chance you get or create has to be taken advantage of because you don't get that many, just like real football. My main goal with my sliders was to have a fair game where the CPU doesn't blatantly cheat (for instance with speed and acceleration) and where if my Spurs are playing a weak team, they should have an easy time and dominate play, but if they are playing a good team, the game should be very competitive and hard to win. I don't think that's asking too much.

I finally thought I had a good set of sliders after playing a decent amount of games against good and bad teams and getting fair results. I went into career mode to start one up and all three of my friendlies were good. None were against great teams (Lazio was the best one) but all games were competitive and felt fair.

Tonight I played my first BPL game as Spurs going against Crystal Palace. Obviously in terms of quality and ratings I expected to have a fairly easy match and again felt comfortable with my sliders.

Well, I guess I can forget it. As soon as I started playing, I knew something was wrong with this stupid game and I don't know if it can be fixed. Crystal Palace dominated possession. They were all of the sudden faster than my players (sliders be damned I guess). They psychically knew exactly where I was going to dribble and stole it off me at will. My players would suddenly stop even when I was controlling them and not go after balls even though I was directing them to go in a certain direction. Suddenly my passes that were relatively accurate in all previous games were going all over the place and nowhere near my intended targets. Suddenly CPU defenders would break on almost all passes made and cut in front of my player who would not move toward the pass even if I was controlling them. The score was 3-0 in the 89th minute before I just shut the whole thing down. I couldn't take it anymore. Remind you, this was Spurs against Crystal Freakin' Palace, not Spurs against Madrid or Bayern Munich.

Seriously, what explanation is there for a slider set that worked for a number of games very well and produced fair results to just stop working and for such a completely different (and I would say unfair) gaming experience to take over? This is what I can't take about this game right now. If I was playing poorly or doing stupid things, I would understand. That's not it. I didn't play any different in this last game than I did in the others. The problem is that suddenly a team that is rated at least 10 points below my team turns into Barcelona, passes and dribbles all around me, steals all of my passes, and my players stop doing what I try to get them to do on my controller. The sliders that gave such good fair results in a bunch of previous matches suddenly produce a completely different game experience.

So I ask - do sliders even matter in career mode? Is this stupid mode even playable in this version of Fifa? Seriously EA - WTF? I am really starting to regret trading in 13 to get this game. A string of great game experiences can be ruined immediately with the frustrating mess of programming/coding that I experienced tonight.

Last edited by mac_rmm; 10-04-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-23-2013, 02:40 PM   #2
Just started!

Re: Serious Question - Is Career Mode Even Playable and Do Sliders Even Matter?

I dont know if this helps, but I started CM with the Seattle Sounders in MLS. Pro difficulty is too easy so I choose to play world class obviously. And just like you've said, I get dominated. They control the ball, fatigue my players in the second half from chasing them and I usually lose 1-0. It is so hard to score, even when you have faster strikers.

So then I decide, okay let me play with Bort. Dortmund and used skilled guys. Well same old story. I cannot create effectively enough to get a clear shot more than once a game. They clog all passing lanes.

So at this point I am fed up and decide let me try AC Milan. The thing is I dont want a powerhouse team like Barcelona. I mean I actually want a challenge and not the best players. I figured okay they have Ballotelli, but no one else that is crazy good. Anyway...

I dont know if it was the formation and AC Milan tactics or not, but the ball was spread so effectively for me. Players spaced out, ran away from defenders to collect long passes, it was great. I am 2-1 in 3 games and have scored 2 goals in each game. Ballotelli has scored half my goals, but the fluidity is there regardless.

Long story short, try AC Milan or at least their formation and tactics and see how it works. I only played a few games, but so far so good on world class mode and I do not use sliders.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
All Star

orion523's Arena

OVR: 21

I'm almost 30 games into my CM now and I can say with 100% confidence that sliders work just as they do in kickoff mode. What you have to understand is that every game is different, and regardless if you're playing as Spurs, Liverpool, or Barcelona there will be times where you struggle and lose, even against weaker clubs. It happens every single week in real football and you have to expect in in FIFA. If it just so happened that your first game was away at Manchester City and you won, would you still be up in arms? Losses happen, upsets happen, don't let it bother you, just play out each game and whatever happens happens.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:21 AM   #4
Too old for manual FIFA

hedache's Arena

OVR: 4

Sliders work!!! Different sliders work better for different people obviously. I found a nice middle ground a while ago and have been going with it since then, without touching it. It gives me a very realistic result/overall story line with Newcastle United. It's just the right stuff for my playing style and skill level.

I finished 5th in my first season. Keeping transfers and such at a reasonable realistic way. It's all about finding the right settings for yourself, and it doesn't come easy.

Now, I saw something that caught my attention. "Playing with Spurs against Palace, fairly easy game". There are no easy games in real world my friend. If you underestimate the opposition, they will bury you. The sliders I'm playing with, no game is impossible mission, and yet I can't win all my games either. The minute you think you have it in the back pocket, they will punish you. Same goes for real BPL teams. Any team in that league is up for a win on any given day almost, as soon as you think it'll be a walk in the park.

With extreme focus and a little bit of luck, I've won some games that I shouldn't have. And the same way, I've lost some stupid games along the way. And you also realize each team plays different styles. And in terms of Palace playing like Barcelona, well if you let them they will. You gotta adjust and defend and not let them do that to you.

There is one problem that's hard to look the other way. There's this god mode of some sort that teams go into at some point. They will pass in and around your box for a good amount of time and you know that they'll score. It's hard to survive those.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:39 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

^

To the guy above, you wanna tell me your sliders?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-24-2013, 11:36 PM   #6
Too old for manual FIFA

hedache's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemaster20007
^

To the guy above, you wanna tell me your sliders?
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...wc-normal.html

First post has the latest ones I'm using with all the other settings. Note that it's on manual controls, so unless you're on all manual and have a skill level close to mine, result will be very very different.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:08 PM   #7
Rookie

Career mode is absolutely playable - just relax during games and enjoy the good times and bad times. Sliders do work as well. I'm currently using one of the older versions of gonira's current-gen sliders. I think I kept man marking to 48 for Hum & CPU since it gives me space to score beautiful goals, just a preference.

The experience has been absolutely perfect. I'm using Man Utd and my transfers have been the following:

IN:
Ravel Morrison
Marco Reus (got him for Nani + 20m)
Ryan Gauld
Fabio Coentrao

OUT:
Alex Buttner and many deadweight (ie youth players whose rating were too low to progress like Larnell Cole, Will Keane -- I kept Lingard, etc)

So far, I've had brilliant games. My opening game against Swansea started out 2-0, with me conceding two goals in the opening 12 minutes. I then dominated the rest of the half with no goals to show for it. The 2nd half was an absolute onslaught as I managed to grab 5 goals. Headers from RvP, Carrick, and Fellaini and two well-taken goals by Reus.

I've lost twice this season and both were games wherein I felt that I could've won if I had more luck. (2-3 to Shaktar thanks to Bernard's brace, I was already up 2-0 courtesy of Welbeck and Young; 0-1 to Liverpool at Anfield thanks to King Suarez's godly goal)

So just take it easy and relax. Enjoy it! If it helps, I'm also using Krebstar's CTT and I think it gives gameplay a much needed variety. Liverpool and Swansea both killed me with their possession play. (My goals against Swansea were: 3 from counters, 2 from corners)

I think the best match I've played so far was against Man City. I took the lead with Wayne Rooney's poacher goal. Joe Hart mishandled the first shot which he should've easily caught and it deflected off Thiago Silva which I gratefully dispatched to an empty net. Then it was RvP's brilliance for the second. City then had their customary comeback through Jovetic and an Aguero penalty thanks to my stupid bump on Silva on the edge of the box. I then went on to snatch victory at the death through a Marco Reus goal off a rebound. Beautiful stuff.

I think that the main difference between great and subpar teams is the fact that great teams pounce on every error you commit. Jovetic's goal was through a single error while the others goals I conceded from poorer teams were simply my poor defending costing me. (or it might've been the very slow Rio)

Note: I also have other CMs like AC Milan, PSG, Madrid, BVB (they are my teams for the major leagues) and they have been ok as well.

I play 10 minute halves with all-manual settings. All-manual takes some time to get used to and it's annoying when you misplace your passes but I honestly feel that it should be part of the game wherein supposedly easy passes are also misplaced due to your error as a player in aiming. It also sucks when you're 1-on-1 against the keeper and you place the shot wide. Yet it makes the goals and key passes all the more fulfilling to pull off. You really have to play to your team's strengths. In my Dortmund CM, I rarely use wing play and dominate teams through the center of the park. In my Madrid CM, Bale, Isco, and Ronaldo wreak havoc every single time. For PSG, Zlatan's hold-up play is King. For AC Milan, I purchased Yaya Toure to have the ultimate box-to-box CM. For Utd, most of my goals come through the counter as RvP and Rooney are extremely lethal. Reus isn't half-bad either as his quickness and finishing are pretty good.

Last edited by rai27; 12-29-2013 at 09:21 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »