Home

Looking for the basics of the game

This is a discussion on Looking for the basics of the game within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-30-2013, 09:31 AM   #1
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5
Looking for the basics of the game

The last time I played a soccer game was on the Sega Genesis. The last time I paid attention to soccer, Hagi was still an elite player. I have a solid understanding of the rules of the game and some of the basic strategies (enough to recognize a well-executed play) from a college friend who was from Romania (thus the Hagi reference).

Now, I picked up FIFA 14 (PS4....yes, I know this isn't the next-gen forum, but this isn't a thread about that version). It's a beautifully crafted game that I could find myself getting immersed in over the cold winter months before baseball season begins. The problem is that I am lacking a fair amount of knowledge about the game of soccer itself (and FIFA 14 has so much depth). Some of the areas where I am lacking are as follows:

• What are the roles and responsibilities of each position? What traits should players at each position have? Now, I understand forwards, midfielders, and defenders; I am going deeper than that (i.e. a fullback).
  • What are the strengths and weaknesses of each formation and what strategies go best with them?
  • What's a good solid league to start with (I only play offline)? I only know a handful of players and teams. I'd like to use a good, solid team, but not one that is elite. I thought about starting with my hometown Columbus Crew in the MLS, but not sure if it would be a good choice starting out.
Aside from the last question, I am not necessarily asking for people to spend a ton of time answering my questions in this thread (though it would be awesome). I'd love it though if people know of other good websites that can help begin to answer my questions.

I have to understand the strategies of a game to derive enjoyment from it; I am hoping those of you here could help me out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
Pro

doyce7's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Looking for the basics of the game

As for a team to start with, it pains me how boring MLS gets the deeper into CM you get. I almost always just play in Europe as there are so many leagues. My personal favorite countries to play in are Italy, England and Russia(always try to be the first Russian club to win Champions league). If you want to use one of these leagues then I can go into the teams that you could use and base strategies that can be used with said teams.

The traits and uses of different positions depend on how you like to play(playing wide and trying to cross in or playing through the middle with short passes ect..) and also the formation you use.

Some like to have their LB/RBs move up the field and help on attact whereas others(myself included) like to have them stay back in defense.

I generally play either a 4-4-2 diamond wide, or a 4-2-3-1 with one CAM and two wingers. I like to play wide and spread the pitch, as such these two formations give me the freedon to do that. A fairly easy formation to use would be a 4-3-3 where the wingers play farther forward to help the striker and the 3 Center Mids help in both attact and defense. In a 4-3-3 formation IMO it's better to have Fullbacks(LB/RB)s that have good speed and can get up field to attact.

Wraping up, player roles are only determined by how you want to use that position.

Last edited by doyce7; 12-02-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
MVP

eyeamg0dly's Arena

OVR: 15

I think you are asking the right questions, so I can assume you know more about sports strategy then the average player. I have found soccer strategy to actually more about tactical advantages rather then just simply strategy.

For example, if I ran a 3-5-2 formation against 4-3-3. I will have a huge advantage in the midfield by the numbers. I can afford to keep one defensive midfielder back to help defend and use most of the other 4 to press hard into the midfield to cause turnovers and then quickly counter off of them. My weakness will be down my flanks, but I can play my centerbacks narrow to deny cheap goals while my DM plays a libero style role and harasses the ball handler. The other weakness is all the pressing can tire my players out, so it is not the best tactics with younger squad members or players with lower stamina.

That is not to say that there is no real strategy to the game, it just means the strategy is very generalized. A good example is Barcelona style of holding possession of the ball and playing short passes till something opens up. It is a very patient style of play. The idea is that you control the flow of the game and deny the other team scoring chances.

So try to develop your style of play first, then you will see how the rest starts to fall in line. I think you will find that soccer players are more versatile then those in other sports.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

These are some wonderful answers guys, thank you both!! I am still mentally processing what you both had to say and I am sure I will have more questions....

That said, I am pondering going with one of the Premier League teams (not an elite one) for starters....not sure who though.....thoughts?
Old 12-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #5
Pro

doyce7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
These are some wonderful answers guys, thank you both!! I am still mentally processing what you both had to say and I am sure I will have more questions....

That said, I am pondering going with one of the Premier League teams (not an elite one) for starters....not sure who though.....thoughts?
Uhh Newcastle United, Southampton, Liverpool, Stoke City and Swnsea City are all 3.5-4* teams. Lverpool to me is the most fun amoung those because I sell Daniel Sturridge and bring in wingers and play a 4-2-3-1 with Suarez as the lone striker but thats just me haha
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-04-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
Pro

RonMexico1992's Arena

its a passing game. Most new players want to get it to their fastest/best player, that will work against the CPU on Low difficulty, but as you get more into fifa, its a passing game
Old 12-06-2013, 02:56 AM   #7
MVP

eyeamg0dly's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMexico1992
its a passing game. Most new players want to get it to their fastest/best player, that will work against the CPU on Low difficulty, but as you get more into fifa, its a passing game
not just low difficulty but in lower leagues vs less skilled players as well. Lower skilled or quality players don't take good touches and because of that you can play long ball and try to win the 50/50 chances. The problem is that your players also have the same issues with heavy touches.

You won't see this happen very much in the higher divisions but it is nice to take advantage of till you get there.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #8
Pro

torpidbeaver's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeamg0dly
not just low difficulty but in lower leagues vs less skilled players as well. Lower skilled or quality players don't take good touches and because of that you can play long ball and try to win the 50/50 chances. The problem is that your players also have the same issues with heavy touches.

You won't see this happen very much in the higher divisions but it is nice to take advantage of till you get there.
Do you have any suggestions for how newer players can learn to take better first touches, especially on over-the-shoulder through balls? I know to keep my finger off of turbo (and have learned to almost completely abandon it, except in breakaways and runs up the flanks), and I do okay on low-stress crosses in my own zone and around the mid-field where I can tap L-1 to try and trap the ball.

But I seem to be dispossessed almost every time I get a one-on-one situation where my striker or CAM is running neck and neck with a back to catch up with a ball.

It seems as if the computer always wins these battles on both sides, which is especially frustrating.

Sort of similar follow-up: when my player is dribbling along, and a computer-controlled player runs in to jostle and elbow to win possession, I always seem to lose. Again, when it's the computer dribbling, I never seem to win that jostling battle and the computer retains possession.

Last edited by torpidbeaver; 12-08-2013 at 02:56 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »