Home

Hard Cuts / Dribbling vs. Press

This is a discussion on Hard Cuts / Dribbling vs. Press within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #1
Rookie

Gnemi's Arena

OVR: 7
Hard Cuts / Dribbling vs. Press

Quick question for anybody: how do you make a hard cut in this game when dribbling? Has that simply been removed from the game?

In FIFA '14, thus far from what I've experienced, you are punished for trying to sprint away from a pressing defender. Not always, but most the time you'll push the ball in front of you too far and another defender will come nick it.

So if you don't sprint and you hold your space, even when you're using the L1 (LT), you're still likely to get the ball toe-poked away by the CPU. Instead, you just kinda walk the ball around without pace or even agility for that matter.

E.g. When you have a holding midfielder or a competent dribbler in midfield and a defender gets aggressive pressing, you are more or less forced to pray that you don't get dispossessed. In FIFA '13, there was the overpowered (in the opinions of some) Precision Dribbling thing where you could hold both the L2/R2, then sprint laterally. Yes, it was overpowered but at least it made sense hypothetically. Even centre halves have the ability to protect the ball and avert an oncoming defender.

I just don't feel like that's all that practical to do in FIFA '14. Am I missing something? What are you guys doing to keep away from zealous CPU defenders? Please don't say skill moves.

If sprint doesn't work, surely WALKING the ball away from a defender isn't the only option. Can we not do anything to cut quickly with the ball that doesn't require some form of 3+ button combination?

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
Rookie

Gnemi's Arena

Re: Hard Cuts / Dribbling vs. Press

Maybe it's using the right stick that I need to try? Does that produce results? The more specific any examples are the better.

Thanks guys...I realize this is probably 75% my own weakness in the game. I just need a couple ideas of how to avoid defenders when there isn't a pass available and I'm tired of dribbling backward!
Old 10-28-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

I know that RT is a hard stop and that LB is a hard stop that faces goal. You could try and use those to then cut. With some combination of RT/LB then using LT to shield the ball for a moment, then exploding in a direction with RT, I'll get past my man. It doesn't happen very often. The ball is usually poked away.

I think the closest thing you're looking for is what you've found for yourself. Maybe try using some change of pace though? Glide along slowly, just using the left stick, then explode inside with RT? I feel like I've done this a lot and end up getting dispossessed, but that should happen.

That's probably the closest answer I could give for your question. My entire answer is a bit longer and off point, but has some relation...

If you get stymied on the attack, your best chances are to either fire a cross into the box, or simply, pass back. Find the man with some open space. Once the defenders get numbers behind you, it's tough to create 1v1 because you're right, another defender will come over and will likely dispossess you.

To my knowledge, there is no sure fire way to get by a man in a 1v1 situation. Especially not in the midfield. If you try skill moves in the midfield half-heartedly or without any direction or purpose, in all likelihood the ball will be taken from you.

If I do attempt a skill move, I usually just do stepovers or feints to the left or right with my wingers. Occasionally I'll use LT+RT to strafe while looking forward, but sometimes my player will turn his back to the goal, kind of defeating the whole purpose of the move. But I generally only use LT+RT when I have some open space to observe the field and weigh my options.

The move where you move the right stick 180° from right to left and vice versa, can create some space as well. It might serve as a 'soft' hard cut to the inside.

Maybe go into the arena and practice some skill moves? To see for yourself exactly what you can do on the ball and when. You can build some situational awareness by spending time in the arena.

Last edited by SaylaB; 10-28-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
Rookie

Gnemi's Arena

Thanks dude. I'm not looking for a sure-fire way of getting around a defender, just something I can do when the defenders are getting a little carried away and pressing a dangerous attacker.

I just had a EUREKA moment. You can still use the sprint button to dart around players. If you hold down L1 on PS3 (LB on 360), then use the sprint button to release your holding player, you can definitely create an instant bit of space without losing control of your dribble.

Phew. So it's still in the game, it's just not compatible (as far as I can tell) with holding L2+R2 at the same time.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #5
MVP

BL8001's Arena

Gnemi. Good find.

The thing that bothers me in Fifa is how often the toe poke dispossessions occur. Any real match I watch you may see it 4-5 times tops. And when it does happen it is much more likely to go to space then right to the foot of the defender.

The vast majority of changes of possession in real soccer is based off errant passes. And second place would fall to 50-50 balls that are created off the defender and receiver of the pass trying to occupy the same space as the ball arrives.

I find you can still use the rt + lt method, particularly to do moving drawbacks but yes the knock on that occurs after letting go of lt is basically asking to be dispossessed.

I wrote in another thread that there needs to be a moving drag back on the r stick. Just make it hold it reverse of the way you are heading. And additionally there should be a lift/scoop move when you hold or flick the r stick the way you are heading. If you could elevate the ball slightly CPU toe pokes would not be so dominant.

It's stupid there are no moves with a simple "up" or "down" on the r stick.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

Have you tried using the fake shot/cross? It works really well to cut inside. And if you angle your L stick at a 45 degree angle you'll perform a scoop turn
Old 10-28-2013, 10:00 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aruthless
Have you tried using the fake shot/cross? It works really well to cut inside. And if you angle your L stick at a 45 degree angle you'll perform a scoop turn
Pretty sure you have to be holding LT (L2) while doing a fake shot/pass to initiate a scoop turn/heel chop
Old 10-28-2013, 10:29 PM   #8
MVP

jesmith29's Arena

OVR: 6

I concur. My retain possession stats in CPM is terrible.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »