Home

The Case for...Default?

This is a discussion on The Case for...Default? within the EA Sports FIFA Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-17-2016, 07:57 AM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: The Case for...Default?

I've tried default recently after getting frustrated with the endless rabbit-hole that is sliders and I've gotta say, I think I might be sticking to it. On the most recent update (whenever that was), it's not perfect, but I'm happy enough with it I think.

The only changes I've made are putting Injury Frequency to 99 and Injury Severity to 70 as the number of injuries are far too low otherwise (you should never have all 32 members of a squad fit).

I've also reduced Run Frequency just down to 40 for both teams as the game is a little frantic otherwise and none of your players stay in position. So I guess I'm not quite quite playing on full default, but I think minor changes to sliders are fine, as opposed to changing every single one and changing the fundamental way in which the game is played.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2016, 07:16 AM   #42
Rookie

Sorry for the double post (but it's been 3 days), but I've definitely decided that as close to default as you possibly can is absolutely the best way to go.

It can be tempting to change seemingly every slider to suit your needs, but in doing so you're drastically changing the fundamentals of the game and how it plays, which is equally as harmful as it is helpful.

I've reduced CPU acceleration by only 1 (so 49), upped injuries considerably as they're far too low on default (but this doesn't change actual gameplay whatsoever) and I've reduced run frequency slightly. That's literally it. I'm having a lot of fun and the game doesn't feel frustrating at all.

I certainly trust myself to know more about how I'd like a football game to feel, but I'd trust game developers a lot more to know how to make a smooth/coherent gameplay experience.

I definitely think I'll start adopting this approach from FIFA 17 and beyond.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:30 AM   #43
Rookie

mind posting your slider set? and which level are you playing at? how many minutes and controls?
Old 06-21-2016, 11:12 AM   #44
Rookie

I'm playing 7 minute halves, slow game speed.

Controls-wise, I've got:

Pass Assistance: Assisted
Through Ball Assistance: Manual
Shot Assistance: Semi
Cross Assistance: Semi
Lob Pass Assistance: Manual
Tactical Defending

Sliders are:

(USER/CPU)
Acceleration: 50/49
Injury Frequency: 99/99
Injury Severity: 75/75 (might up this though)
Run Frequency: 35/35
User Power Bar: 60 (purely my personal preference)

Everything else on default/50.

Been really enjoying it so far. Only tweaking things slightly but trying to keep as close to default as I possibly can.

I've decided it's better to try and keep FIFA 16 'fun' as opposed to desperately trying to turn it into a realistic simulator, which I unfortunately think is impossible.

Last edited by Bixer; 06-21-2016 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:40 PM   #45
Pro

adoptedscouse's Arena

Bixer, what level are you playing???? World Class, Leg, Pro?????
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2016, 06:18 AM   #46
Rookie

Oh sorry, I'm playing on World Class

Honestly, having a pretty good time. It's not completely realistic (but what football game in history ever has been?), but matches are competitive without being overly frustrating, which is just about all you can ask for.

I also think using the 'Instructions' tab in Team Management is quite important in making games realistic. I tend to use a 4-3-3 Holding formation, and I have my 1 CDM set to 'Stay Back While Attacking', so that the midfield aren't just all over the place. If I play 4-3-3 Defend, I'll set both my CDMs to that setting.

I'm also a fan of setting my Striker to 'Stay Central', so that you actually have someone capable in the box to attack crosses.

I do also make use of the Custom Tactics sliders and set them to my own preferences. Most are relatively near default (some slightly higher, like shooting, crossing and pressure), but I put passing to quite low/safe (around 30), so that players will actually come to the ball to receive it, as opposed to everyone making stupid runs constantly.

Last edited by Bixer; 06-22-2016 at 06:22 AM.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:17 PM   #47
Rookie

When Fifa 17 comes out, could we have a thread in the spirit of "minimal change set"?

After noticing that some slider sets induce ADD (attention deficit defending) I have gravitated towards small changes in sliders. I am playing full manual. Currently I am playing against legendary with almost entirely symmetrical sliders (same for CPU and human), except that like Bixer I have also decreased CPU acceleration by 1 to 49. For other settings see my signature below.

I am only playing exhibition matches: I don't understand why you can't play a non-career league in Fifa. But I digress... The matches have been really, really entertaining and exciting. Some of the latest results include 0-0, 1-1, 1-0, 3-2, all matches in MLS. (Upcoming matches where I choose my side randomly.)

Next I am going to try to drop pass speed to default and see how that would work.

This is a great topic.

Last edited by jamesbeaver; 07-11-2016 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:13 AM   #48
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbeaver
When Fifa 17 comes out, could we have a thread in the spirit of "minimal change set"?

After noticing that some slider sets induce ADD (attention deficit defending) I have gravitated towards small changes in sliders. I am playing full manual. Currently I am playing against legendary with almost entirely symmetrical sliders (same for CPU and human), except that like Bixer I have also decreased CPU acceleration by 1 to 49. For other settings see my signature below.

I am only playing exhibition matches: I don't understand why you can't play a non-career league in Fifa. But I digress... The matches have been really, really entertaining and exciting. Some of the latest results include 0-0, 1-1, 1-0, 3-2, all matches in MLS. (Upcoming matches where I choose my side randomly.)

Next I am going to try to drop pass speed to default and see how that would work.

This is a great topic.
Whole-heartedly agree. As I mentioned before, if you tweak sliders too much, you end up breaking as much as you fix.

'Minimal change' hits the nail on the head. I do think keeping everything on default wouldn't be ideal, but I do feel that the closer sliders are to default, the more cohesive the gameplay experience.

The only things I've moved from default now are Injury Frequency, Injury Severity, GK Ability and Run Frequency. The only one of those that actually affects a 'big' portion of the game is Run Frequency, but on default it's simply too hectic.

I've since moved to Legendary difficulty and I've realised that was what I should've done originally. As has been suggested by many people as far back as FIFA 13, World Class difficulty just feels broken as a whole. Legendary sounds like it'd be even worse, but it's quite the contrary. While the CPU are of course tough, on Legendary they actually try to attack you, making for a realistic game of football. Not like on World Class where they're quite happy to pass between their defenders for 80 minutes, score a goal on the counter, then park the bus.

Last edited by Bixer; 07-13-2016 at 10:16 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Sliders »