Home

FIFA 18 OS Community Sliders

This is a discussion on FIFA 18 OS Community Sliders within the EA Sports FIFA Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-23-2017, 09:07 AM   #113
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: FIFA 18 OS Community Sliders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure10Beezer34
Really appreciate you streaming Matt! Was able to watch for about 90 mins or so. Exciting stuff. The Coutinho goal after the chaos in the box was really cool to see. Can't wait to get the game on Friday!
Glad you got to join in and watch. Yeah, that mess in the box reminded me of old PES days. It's what PES used to be known for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPERNUT
Great stuff. Maybe first touch causing those odd shooting animations where it is drawing the ball to the foot more? At least most are misses, so not game breaking.
Yeah, it's possible. I think there is room to increase it a tad. I know the shooting values may not be relevant to that wonky shooting animation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDeicide
ok i twitched a few games. Jimmydeicide.

Games felt better but something is a miss. Ai are just way too clinical i feel.
Is it a result of my play ? i know i wasnt great but Vardy geez.
The Bundesliga game I dunno check it out its the third game think i lost 8-1.

Just doesnt look ,well feel the same as what i was watching on Matts feed tonight.

Maybe i just got to keep possession better and play keep away.
I'll check them out JD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1860fan
Hello Matt have seen your stream video, was very interesting how do you play now on slow still, or normal?
because game is slower I find on the demo tested ..
Playing on slow, mate. 15 mins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron458f
@matt10 hey bud missed the stream last night gonna watch it back today, but how did it go? Anything serious?

Definitely CB need looking at and GK
a lot of runs off the ball to so RF
Fullbacks look touch narrow to at times
More on FT not seen many bad touches
Pass speed abit slower

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Hey man. Yeah, there are some things to look at. I think anything on-the-ball is a higher priority than off of it. FIFA 18 has really done well at adhering to the CTT's, and modifying too much with HLW+Marking may affect that. This is the first time in FIFA that I have ever felt that way, as usually we have to look at so much positioning.

There is just so much subtlety to the player's movements off the ball though. Runs, yes, could be toned down, but I still felt they weren't flying right down the middle. I do think pass speed can be looked at though - have to reduce that driven pass, mainly because it is freezing the defending player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomba
Watched your stream and immediately watched stream of pes 2018.

No comparison

That said

The problem with Fifa 18 is the individualism

Some of the new animations have wonderfully correct running for those individuals who EASports deemed enough of a star.

But what this does is KEEP all the regular secondary players with the same animations from before.

making the look of the game at times GREAT and then even worse than last year because it stands out SO much now.

play with neymar...

looks amazing beautiful turns and running

play with some not so great winger and hes hunched over trying to speed up to the ball...awful

this is where fifa falters this year.

graphically? yeah ok its good BUT the camera angles are poor

Matt you played in broadcast and it didn't look good to me but that's me
There really is no comparison between the two. PES is completely spread out from endline-to-endline. There is no compression and decompression in PES. Take it from someone who has been going non-stop at trying to fix it. The only way to get PES playing properly is to reduce the gaps in the banks/lines.

I didn't feel that way about the players. I felt that a lot of them had their own individuality. Wijnaldum stood out the most for me with his Cruyff turns, and mazing runs through the middle, and then passing when he needed to distribute. Then when I played against that 3rd div German team, their big center forward held the ball up really well, and would set himself, or others, up. I was able to beat their LB with my RM a couple times, and even scored putting pressure on his terrible clearance. He firmed up later on and started to check my RM earlier, which made it tough to put any kind of counter going.

I think FIFA wins in the subtlety department. PES is no comparison because PES brings in all the rare/subtle moments of the beautiful game - and makes it the norm. This reduces the effectiveness, or more passionately the SOUL of PES. Nothing stands out because it's just the same ol Amazing Save, Shot, Pass, Cross, that I have seen hundreds of times.

Camera angles are personal preference, I had it zoomed in more than usual, but was pleasantly surprised with how the broadcast camera looked at Anfield, compared to St. James and then a generic Stadion Neder.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:17 AM   #114
MVP

OVR: 0

@matt10 those weird leg animations could just be a patch thing doubt a slider will stop a ball going through a leg lol

Old 09-23-2017, 09:54 AM   #115
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10

Hey man. Yeah, there are some things to look at. I think anything on-the-ball is a higher priority than off of it. FIFA 18 has really done well at adhering to the CTT's, and modifying too much with HLW+Marking may affect that. This is the first time in FIFA that I have ever felt that way, as usually we have to look at so much positioning.

There is just so much subtlety to the player's movements off the ball though. Runs, yes, could be toned down, but I still felt they weren't flying right down the middle. I do think pass speed can be looked at though - have to reduce that driven pass, mainly because it is freezing the defending player.

There really is no comparison between the two. PES is completely spread out from endline-to-endline. There is no compression and decompression in PES. Take it from someone who has been going non-stop at trying to fix it. The only way to get PES playing properly is to reduce the gaps in the banks/lines.

I didn't feel that way about the players. I felt that a lot of them had their own individuality. Wijnaldum stood out the most for me with his Cruyff turns, and mazing runs through the middle, and then passing when he needed to distribute. Then when I played against that 3rd div German team, their big center forward held the ball up really well, and would set himself, or others, up. I was able to beat their LB with my RM a couple times, and even scored putting pressure on his terrible clearance. He firmed up later on and started to check my RM earlier, which made it tough to put any kind of counter going.

I think FIFA wins in the subtlety department. PES is no comparison because PES brings in all the rare/subtle moments of the beautiful game - and makes it the norm. This reduces the effectiveness, or more passionately the SOUL of PES. Nothing stands out because it's just the same ol Amazing Save, Shot, Pass, Cross, that I have seen hundreds of times.

Camera angles are personal preference, I had it zoomed in more than usual, but was pleasantly surprised with how the broadcast camera looked at Anfield, compared to St. James and then a generic Stadion Neder.

After playing the demo of pes I was in awe of how much they made the game look better animation wise. the whole field had players with worth to them nothing looked out of place and for once I saw literally no need for sliders.

pes is a game I go to to just enjoy. fifa is a game I go to to fix. nuff said.

That said hopefully some of my own findings help you with the community sliders and ill post them below.

1)if we're talking game engine. do this test.

Set the game on slow speed.
Set both the player and cpu to 0/0 speed
and 100 acceleration with both player and cpu pass speed set to 80.

Now play THIS way for about 5 minutes.

you'll start to notice the formulaic way the game plays.
It all looks staged or fixed.

Its at THESE settings and everything else AT default that you get to SEE what really needs to be done in movement and in human control.

If you have the patience and guts to pay in 5 minutes like this you can subtract things. Its always better to Subtract rather than to add.

Seeing the game at this extreme points out what the internal game engine is doing.

This is KEY. I advise you try my friend. been editing "EASports " games for ages and they are ALL very similar and how their game engine handle things. In many ways at this extreme setting is how nba live 18 plays this year. Robotic.

As a rundown make the game FIRST play robotic then you make it human...or for lack of a better analogy lifelike.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2017, 09:55 AM   #116
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

Here's my "3 matches in" thoughts:

There is so much subtlety in this year's FIFA that after playing the samey PES is so refreshing.

Positioning. Feel like I don't have to control all 10 players anymore. The human reactions of see the ball get the ball are there. The defenders gets past the halfway line to meet the forward. Do you know how long I've been waiting for that very fundamental concept to happen in FIFA? On default nonetheless. There is a sense of compressed, building of numbers, on both sides. You know the type of team you are playing if you just take a quick look at their CTT's. I played a heavy crossing team in the Div 3 Bundesliga, and it was true to form, they crossed at every opportunity - but played very narrow defensively. Liverpool plays very wide, and very aggressive, while Everton played down the middle to Sigurdsson and Rooney, but had the backing of Baines to prevent Ritchie from doing anything.

Ball physics. Yes, FIFA has decent ball physics. One little blemish would be the driven passing, but even then it's not terrible. Will be looking at reducing it though as it does "freeze" the defending players. at times. Noticed on short passes, even if overhit, they don't fly out of bounds. However, cross field ball, with a lesser skilled player brings in a lot of risk/reward. The ball doesn't just dip dramatically like in years past though. It floats for a decent amount of time. On manual, the pass speed needs a tad extra holding as I felt like I had underhit some passes, and resorted to using manual through pass as my choice. I used L1 cross a bit, and it was just a floating cross, that really posed no threat. Regular crossing felt fine. Shooting felt good, possibly a tad too floaty in some instances, so a slight bump in shot speed may be needed.

Physicality. You can't just glide by players like last year. There is a strong sense of physical match ups off, and on the ball. The players get in between the ball and player very well. Shielding is more contextual than ever. You no longer see the terrible False9 forward just shield the entire time, and noone able to get the ball off.

Fatigue. I felt like the fatigue kicked in at different times of the match, primarily later of course, but the effect of the fatigue seemed to result in some poor decision making by CPU - or just poor execution. Wide open passes going off the mark, more physicality, less direct passing. Was a very nice touch.

Player ID. Star players stand out. Wijnaldum alone stood out for me the most because of all the things he does in the middle of the pitch. He would distribute the ball as much as he could, but when faced up, he would try to dribble past, or fake me out with his Cruyff turns. On the user side Napoli's Koulibaly was an absolute beast for me. He was so reliable and such a force that I felt so confident in defending with him. He wasn't the fastest player, but his size and strength were sublime. The 3rd div Bundesliga opponent had a stand out, tall, striker, who just held the ball up. Again, not using cliche shielding like FIFA 17, but more so holding the ball to either set someone up. He had a decent shot on him too, but I managed to hold onto the win.

Atmosphere. Incredible reactions from the crowd. You can feel they are truly watching the match. The standout from last night's stream was how the home side of the Div 3 Bundesliga team was cheering on every good tackle, interception and terrible passing by me. It was exactly how real matches sound, it was a brilliant thing. That's what I'm talking about with FIFA's subtlety this year. The pan over to the crowd is also a very nice touch because that just engrosses you even more.

Areas to improve. So far, there doesn't seem a whole lot. However, some stand outs are wonky shooting animations. What is positive is that the CPU chooses to shoot from anywhere - the problem is they shoot a lot, and in some cases the animations don't make sense due to warping and terrible foot planting. The stream I'll post below shows so much of this, and having 25 sim enthusiasts on the stream with me did not let this go unnoticed. I also feel the shooting speed is floaty, and kind of strange at times. Raising shot speed up did show some much better physics, and goalkeeper animations. Speaking of goalkeeper animations, they are still not that good. They stretch out so much, that they forget to shuffle their feet. The best animations I saw was from Reina as he seemed to react more naturally and didn't try to fly with full extension every time. Eitherway, there are a lot of the same animations from 17 in the goalkeeping department. Drilled/driven passing will start to become an eyesore if the defending players don't have time to react, and/or the first touches aren't somewhat altered relevant to the skill level.

Overall. I am completely impressed and dumfounded that this is FIFA. Yes, the frostbite engine still has some rough edges in terms of lighting. However, there is some subtlety to the lighting as well with floodlights shining on the player's face, and you can see the sweat glistening, and or rain for that matter. It makes the close up replays/cutscenes that much better. The ball size is just a hair too small for me, especially after playing PES, but it's not as bad as 17. Like I said though, FIFA isa welcomed change of pace and a breath of fresh air so far. Some of the touches in Career Mode as well will help with being engrossed. I do hope that the areas such as wonky shooting animations can be fixed, but done without breaking the incredible display that is appearing right now.

Here is the twitch stream from last night. Sorry for some audio/video sync issues. My rig may be needing an upgrade soon:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/176806188
Old 09-23-2017, 10:17 AM   #117
MVP

OVR: 6

What I saw last night was quite simply the best out of box FIFA in YEARS. I mean everyone has personal tastes, but as a footy fan I don't know how you can watch that and not see "Sim"

The variety from CPU and from each of the 3 very different teams Matt played against was apparent. Pass % very high but never really looked artificial where it's just pass for pass sake. In fact I was amazed at how many of the CPU passes were missing the mark, particularly as the game grew and players energy levels went low.

I know Jimmy mentioned he was seeing a different game on XBOX, so something to keep an eye on, but we need more data. Next Friday can't come quickly enough for me.

Last edited by GoBlue81188; 09-23-2017 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Spell check
Old 09-23-2017, 10:23 AM   #118
Banned

BucksInSix's Arena

Quote:

There is so much subtlety in this year's FIFA that after playing the samey PES is so refreshing.

Positioning. Feel like I don't have to control all 10 players anymore. The human reactions of see the ball get the ball are there. The defenders gets past the halfway line to meet the forward. Do you know how long I've been waiting for that very fundamental concept to happen in FIFA? On default nonetheless. There is a sense of compressed, building of numbers, on both sides. You know the type of team you are playing if you just take a quick look at their CTT's. I played a heavy crossing team in the Div 3 Bundesliga, and it was true to form, they crossed at every opportunity - but played very narrow defensively. Liverpool plays very wide, and very aggressive, while Everton played down the middle to Sigurdsson and Rooney, but had the backing of Baines to prevent Ritchie from doing anything.

Ball physics. Yes, FIFA has decent ball physics. One little blemish would be the driven passing, but even then it's not terrible. Will be looking at reducing it though as it does "freeze" the defending players. at times. Noticed on short passes, even if overhit, they don't fly out of bounds. However, cross field ball, with a lesser skilled player brings in a lot of risk/reward. The ball doesn't just dip dramatically like in years past though. It floats for a decent amount of time. On manual, the pass speed needs a tad extra holding as I felt like I had underhit some passes, and resorted to using manual through pass as my choice. I used L1 cross a bit, and it was just a floating cross, that really posed no threat. Regular crossing felt fine. Shooting felt good, possibly a tad too floaty in some instances, so a slight bump in shot speed may be needed.

Physicality. You can't just glide by players like last year. There is a strong sense of physical match ups off, and on the ball. The players get in between the ball and player very well. Shielding is more contextual than ever. You no longer see the terrible False9 forward just shield the entire time, and noone able to get the ball off.

Fatigue. I felt like the fatigue kicked in at different times of the match, primarily later of course, but the effect of the fatigue seemed to result in some poor decision making by CPU - or just poor execution. Wide open passes going off the mark, more physicality, less direct passing. Was a very nice touch.

Player ID. Star players stand out. Wijnaldum alone stood out for me the most because of all the things he does in the middle of the pitch. He would distribute the ball as much as he could, but when faced up, he would try to dribble past, or fake me out with his Cruyff turns. On the user side Napoli's Koulibaly was an absolute beast for me. He was so reliable and such a force that I felt so confident in defending with him. He wasn't the fastest player, but his size and strength were sublime. The 3rd div Bundesliga opponent had a stand out, tall, striker, who just held the ball up. Again, not using cliche shielding like FIFA 17, but more so holding the ball to either set someone up. He had a decent shot on him too, but I managed to hold onto the win.

Atmosphere. Incredible reactions from the crowd. You can feel they are truly watching the match. The standout from last night's stream was how the home side of the Div 3 Bundesliga team was cheering on every good tackle, interception and terrible passing by me. It was exactly how real matches sound, it was a brilliant thing. That's what I'm talking about with FIFA's subtlety this year. The pan over to the crowd is also a very nice touch because that just engrosses you even more.

Areas to improve. So far, there doesn't seem a whole lot. However, some stand outs are wonky shooting animations. What is positive is that the CPU chooses to shoot from anywhere - the problem is they shoot a lot, and in some cases the animations don't make sense due to warping and terrible foot planting. The stream I'll post below shows so much of this, and having 25 sim enthusiasts on the stream with me did not let this go unnoticed. I also feel the shooting speed is floaty, and kind of strange at times. Raising shot speed up did show some much better physics, and goalkeeper animations. Speaking of goalkeeper animations, they are still not that good. They stretch out so much, that they forget to shuffle their feet. The best animations I saw was from Reina as he seemed to react more naturally and didn't try to fly with full extension every time. Eitherway, there are a lot of the same animations from 17 in the goalkeeping department. Drilled/driven passing will start to become an eyesore if the defending players don't have time to react, and/or the first touches aren't somewhat altered relevant to the skill level.

Overall. I am completely impressed and dumfounded that this is FIFA. Yes, the frostbite engine still has some rough edges in terms of lighting. However, there is some subtlety to the lighting as well with floodlights shining on the player's face, and you can see the sweat glistening, and or rain for that matter. It makes the close up replays/cutscenes that much better. The ball size is just a hair too small for me, especially after playing PES, but it's not as bad as 17. Like I said though, FIFA isa welcomed change of pace and a breath of fresh air so far. Some of the touches in Career Mode as well will help with being engrossed. I do hope that the areas such as wonky shooting animations can be fixed, but done without breaking the incredible display that is appearing right now.

Here is the twitch stream from last night. Sorry for some audio/video sync issues. My rig may be needing an upgrade soon:

Andddddd with that I have preordered on PS4 Pro... it’s a darn shame you are not scoring commission on this sale, as you have sold me on it!

Was a little worried from the impression thread that they had completely changed it from the way the demo played. Thanks for putting that to bed.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:21 AM   #119
Rookie

ImmortalMindz's Arena

Quote:

Wow, such an enthusiastic and positive impression - thanks for that; after reading most of the other early impressions, I really needed to hear this!

A couple follow-ups if you have time:

1. Overall, how would you say what you're playing compares to the demo?

2. You said that you didn't "Feel like I don't have to control all 10 players anymore". Is that a change from the demo, because I felt the opposite in the demo; I felt like my teammates were hardly a help. With all the feedback from online players that last year was to easy to defend by relying on CPU teammates, this has been a major worry for me.

3. "You can't just glide by players like last year." I found that in the demo, and this is on Legendary, that dribblers were super overpowered and I could get past defenders easily. Is this different from the demo, or maybe you're speaking of something slightly different?

4. One of my biggest issues with the demo gameplay was how easily it was to dribble into threatening positions, especially in the center of the final third. CPU defenders - defenders in general really - seemed to lack aggression and allowed too much space. Is this different?

5. You mention noticing CTTs. Does that mean you're experiencing the new Team Styles feature? Because it seems like so far the consensus has been that it feels like this "big new feature" has been absent.

Again, thanks so much for the in-depth impressions. With all the negativity and very shallow feedback, it's great to read a more detailed writeup from someone who actually knows what he's talking about!
Old 09-23-2017, 11:26 AM   #120
Hall of Fame

jb12780's Arena

Matt you should plug in Kreb’s tactics from last year and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Sliders »