Home

The contain option

This is a discussion on The contain option within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-19-2014, 02:58 PM   #9
Rookie

half-fast's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: The contain option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Und Lahm
Re: online. I try every year, but it is always sprint, pressure and lob ball spamming. Gets boring very quickly. Very few people want to play a decent game of footy.
Unfortunately the game promotes these easy one button solutions. They need to make it harder for people to complete these or force manual on them imo.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:09 PM   #10
Rookie

saucerset's Arena

OVR: 0

I have been really trying to work on the pace of the game. I work the ball around but I seem to give it away just over the mid field line. I use the jockey on defense but the AI player will just keep dribbling in circles back and forth. Almost to the point where I just put my controller down because nothing is working. I have been trying the L2+R2 dribbling without much success. I just started using that and I need more work on it. I'm almost 44 years old, so my reaction times aren't what they used to be..lol

I play offline more than online. I pretty much only go online when I get bored of being worked over by the computer. At least on occasion you can plan on a human making a mistake. I played online all the time in Fifa 13 on the Xbox when I was with a UK futbol group, but since I moved back to the states I have not been on with them too much. Plus I switched to the PS4.

I appreciate all the comments.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:12 PM   #11
Rookie

saucerset's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by half-fast
Unfortunately the game promotes these easy one button solutions. They need to make it harder for people to complete these or force manual on them imo.
I tried full manual a couple years ago and it was fun. None of my friends that I played against used it so I just kind of fell out of it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2014, 03:56 PM   #12
Rookie

Und Lahm's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucerset
I have been really trying to work on the pace of the game. I work the ball around but I seem to give it away just over the mid field line. I use the jockey on defense but the AI player will just keep dribbling in circles back and forth. Almost to the point where I just put my controller down because nothing is working. I have been trying the L2+R2 dribbling without much success. I just started using that and I need more work on it. I'm almost 44 years old, so my reaction times aren't what they used to be..lol

I play offline more than online. I pretty much only go online when I get bored of being worked over by the computer. At least on occasion you can plan on a human making a mistake. I played online all the time in Fifa 13 on the Xbox when I was with a UK futbol group, but since I moved back to the states I have not been on with them too much. Plus I switched to the PS4.

I appreciate all the comments.
Hehehe, I hear ya! I'm 43. My stick jockey days are over.

Maybe if I ever decide to pay Sony for the privilege of playing online, we can have an old crusties FIFA matchup!!
Old 10-19-2014, 04:14 PM   #13
Some say he...

kerosene31's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucerset
I have been really trying to work on the pace of the game. I work the ball around but I seem to give it away just over the mid field line. I use the jockey on defense but the AI player will just keep dribbling in circles back and forth.
What difficulty are you playing on?

Don't be afraid to use your back 4. Pass it back, or even throw a lob pass to the opposite side. Don't try to beat the CPU 1 on 1 in midfield a lot. Save that for when you are in a good shooting position. In midfield, the CPU likes to push you to the sidelines and try to outnumber them. Go around them instead of through.

It can be annoying to watch the CPU dribble back and forth or pass back and forth, but if they are far away from goal and you aren't down late - let them. Wait for the right time to take the ball away. Get too aggressive and you chase them and leave a big hole behind you.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:43 PM   #14
MVP

wordtobigbird's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerosene31
It can be annoying to watch the CPU dribble back and forth or pass back and forth, but if they are far away from goal and you aren't down late - let them. Wait for the right time to take the ball away. Get too aggressive and you chase them and leave a big hole behind you.
Truth. I start out well but then frustration will set in. I will be mad because I blew a couple scoring opportunities or something and try to get too aggressive getting the ball back. I leave huge gaps whenever I feel myself chasing the ball. I notice how huge is it to keep guys in position because the AI is designed to fill in the gaps. So if you move someone out of position, the AI will compensate. I attack too aggressively with one player, CPU moves another player into his position, so I switch again and end up moving TWO players completely out of the play and messing up. Patience is the key.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:31 PM   #15
Rookie

saucerset's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerosene31
What difficulty are you playing on?
I have been playing on professional. Earlier today I switched it to semi-pro and it didn't really get much better for me. I did have one good game with Chelsea (I've been using Man U mostly) so I thought I would just see what it's like to use them at a higher difficulty. I switched to world class and played Liverpool to a 1-2 loss. I was playing alot better though using most of the suggestions here.

I also spent about an hour or so in the skill games working on the dribbling drills.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2014, 08:19 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

The most important thing is to remember that pace is everything - not just offensively but defensively even more this year.

When you hold down pressure or secondary pressure, make sure to let the button go so you can time the player's acceleration/full sprint to stop as they get near the dribbler. When you hold it too long, the player's can often find they have too much momentum and overshoot the path to the man in possession.

I've found, and some have seen on twitch (and hear me bitch at myself) that I get into bad situations when I rely on secondary pressure in the defensive line. So I'm practicing to get used to it in the midfield and sides more than ever now.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »