Home

New player needing some advice

This is a discussion on New player needing some advice within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-13-2014, 09:55 AM   #1
Pro

markprior22's Arena

OVR: 7
New player needing some advice

This is the first FIFA game (or any console soccer game) I've ever purchased. I am a fan of the "big 4" sports in American but am intrigued by soccer. I know just a few basics. I know some of the formations such as 4-4-3, etc but don't know what players fit each formation best or what formation to use in different situations. So I have a couple basic questions

1) What type of playing difficulty and slider adjustments would you recommend for a brand new player?

2) What would be the best way to approach learning the game? Should I do some sort of coach mode and watch the games play out for a while? I did notice that there is a skills trainer available so I will definitely check that out.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2014, 10:50 AM   #2
Rookie

buziii's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: New player needing some advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by markprior22
This is the first FIFA game (or any console soccer game) I've ever purchased. I am a fan of the "big 4" sports in American but am intrigued by soccer. I know just a few basics. I know some of the formations such as 4-4-3, etc but don't know what players fit each formation best or what formation to use in different situations. So I have a couple basic questions

1) What type of playing difficulty and slider adjustments would you recommend for a brand new player?

2) What would be the best way to approach learning the game? Should I do some sort of coach mode and watch the games play out for a while? I did notice that there is a skills trainer available so I will definitely check that out.

This describes me as well! Big American sports fan, but I've never gotten into soccer. My son got me a bit interested and I followed the recent World Cup somewhat, so I decided to try this game. Now, I'm addicted to playing it!

I would also like to learn more about the game and also how to play the video game better. For the latter, I've seen some tutorials online, but I haven't taken the time to watch them yet. I think those should help understand how to improve playing the game.

I started out playing on amateur, then Semi-Pro, and I've now moved up to Pro, but I lower the speed and marking for the CPU players a bit. These settings seem about right for my skill level right now. You'll get a lot of advice to play at a high level and just learn how to get better. That's not fun for me when I have no chance against the CPU. So, just play and you'll figure out the right settings for you. The more you play, you'll probably want to move up the difficulty to match your improved ability, assuming you improve!
Old 10-13-2014, 11:56 AM   #3
3-4 Defense

roll2tide's Arena

OVR: 13
Cool Re: New player needing some advice

I am also new but can offer a few tips, I hope. With any EA sports game, always check the slider forums. It's often the difference between trading the game in disappointed and really enjoying it. I would suggest doing all of the skills drills both from the menu and prior to any matches. They will really help in learning the controls.

Team management is where I'm struggling. There is a similar thread to this one at FIFA Noob. HEEEELP if you wanna watch that one also.

[edit] I should also add that, as Americans, I think we tend to approach sports games with a 1-man-at-a-time-mindset. American sports is very singular, imho. Even in a game like Madden/NCAA with 11 players on the field, you really only play 1 guy at a time. FIFA, to me, is much more team oriented. One guy can't just make the big play all the time. You have to set up your scores through ball movement, anticipation, and field vision. It's a very big difference, philosophically.....at least to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
You're doing it wrong EA

Twitter roll2tide

Last edited by roll2tide; 10-13-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:05 PM   #4
Rookie

BradyBunch88's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:

I really enjoy trying to help FIFA players as much as I can because I’ve had a lot of help on these boards in the past. Not just FIFA but NBA 2K and Madden.

First off, I would say watch a couple of English Premier League games. It’s ok for you guys across the pond, you don’t have to stay up until 2/3 or 4 am to watch your beloved New England Patriots play!
So watch Chelsea play or Arsenal play. Two great managers Jose Mourhino’s Chelsea and Arsene Wenger Arsenal.
Why watch these? Well just like NFL players watch film and study their plays, you could bring the same aspect. Study how Chelsea pass the ball around, move their players around, keep the ball, build up an attack to score a goal.

For me, I watched Manchester United play for years before I picked up a football game. It just became printed into my mind of their style of play. Same with you for the NFL, I’m sure you watched the NFL way before you picked up a Madden game right? It’s in you DNA.

As a beginner, you don’t need to show off, so personally, I’d go with semi-professional. Learn the game, practice and have fun.
For sliders, that’s pretty much a big Madden thing, I used to - and will again when I buy Madden 15 - roll with Jarodd21s sliders.

But for FIFA, I’ve never used sliders, I’ve always felt the game plays great as it is! I think Madden gameplay is messed up so you need sliders to make the AI more tough, to match your style. With FIFA, if you play around with the sliders, I feel like you’re dumbing down the AI and giving yourself more of an advantage in certain areas. This year goalkeepers make a lot more saves. Some people want to “dumb” down the goalkeepers but, look at the World Cup. Look at a lot of goalkeepers around the leagues, not every game is 4-0! Sometimes it’s a 2-1 or a 0-0.

Other advice? Pick a strong team like Chelsea, Arsenal, Bayern Munich, Real Madrid, Barcelona, PSG. Whoever and play against lower rated teams like Chesterfield town, Yeovil town. This way, you’ll learn how to play the game, how to attack, how to pass the ball around. The up it, so you beat teams like that three times in a row. Try a team like West Ham or Leicester.

Shout out to PatrickHDGaming on youtube. Germans know how to play football extremely well. They’ve dominated numerous World Cups over the years and this year was no different. Patrick is German, he’s awesome at FIFA, go check his channel out. So many tutorials on there. I’m an 8th German, I can get away with saying all that right?

Also FIFA addiction dot com is another great website. For me, I love to be all X's and O's. And that website goes through a lot of that.

Finally what’s really great about FIFA in my opinion is that it plays like real life football. There are too many examples. But in Madden, I play as the Patriots. Brady doesn’t throw 4 touchdowns, 400+ yards for 20/25 attempts every game in real life!
Old 10-15-2014, 03:41 PM   #5
Madden PC

BadAssHskr's Arena

OVR: 9

thanks for the above post.

i'm like the others, only worse off yet, i don't even take the time to watch any soccer. however, as stupid as it sounds, we played in high school in PE, and it was a blast.

i heard last year how great of a game fifa is, and was intrigued, but never jumped on it, and now again, it has my attention.

we have soccer fields across from our house, and i have a son that's about to be only 1, however i just know, with this day and age, he's going to want to play this game first. i'd like to know something about the game itself when this time comes, maybe even have an interest in the sport. i can't stomach the fact of sending my kid off to play and i don't have any understanding of the game, and could offer no help to him in efforts to get better.

not saying fifa will help that, but at least i think i can learn enough of the game, and enjoy something new.

twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/cornbeaner

XSX: thirtydaZe
Online, Solo, CFM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2014, 04:02 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

Quote:

1. I would suggest that you use either beginner or semi-pro. And possibly no slider adjustments.

2. To be honest, I think the best way to learn the game is to watch it. I recommend watching the EPL/BPL on saturday and sunday mornings and monday afternoons. It's arguably the best league in the world.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:25 PM   #7
Rookie

BradyBunch88's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAssHskr
thanks for the above post.

i'm like the others, only worse off yet, i don't even take the time to watch any soccer. however, as stupid as it sounds, we played in high school in PE, and it was a blast.

i heard last year how great of a game fifa is, and was intrigued, but never jumped on it, and now again, it has my attention.

we have soccer fields across from our house, and i have a son that's about to be only 1, however i just know, with this day and age, he's going to want to play this game first. i'd like to know something about the game itself when this time comes, maybe even have an interest in the sport. i can't stomach the fact of sending my kid off to play and i don't have any understanding of the game, and could offer no help to him in efforts to get better.

not saying fifa will help that, but at least i think i can learn enough of the game, and enjoy something new.
I’ve noticed a lot more Americans are picking up FIFA this year than any other years. I’m guessing because the US had a great World Cup campaign right? It was really fun to watch that team play this summer.
Anyways, when I started out with Madden back in ’09 everyone was really helpful for me to understand the game and rules. So I’ve got to give back!

That’s fine if you don’t watch the games. I’m pretty sure you can watch some games on YouTube. Maybe as a Man Utd fan I’d say if you can find it Man Utd vs Bayern Munich ’99 the year United won the treble! Also Man Utd vs Chelsea 2008 is a good one. But YouTube is good for some old matches.

As a parent, would you feel safer your son playing soccer over American Football? Less injuries, not as impactful. It’s just interesting because maybe 10 years ago, an American kid playing soccer first, before football, must have been unheard of. Just interesting to see how the game is growing over there with the MLS.

I used to watch football all the time through my pre-teen years. Like 8-12 maybe 13. Huge Man Utd fan. Lost interest for ages. Then I wanted to get back into it, picked up FIFA and could hold a conversation about most teams, most player names. It’s great to teach you about the game, how it’s played, who plays for what team etc.

And if you don’t want to spend the full $60 or however much it is over there, you could always pick up FIFA 14 and play that game. It’s a solid game, you could get it cheaper for sure and still learn soccer. But IMO ’15 is a lot better and on the PS4 / Xbox One it’s insane! The graphics, gameplay, it’s so good.

Watch some YouTube videos of gameplay of FIFA 15 and see what you think.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:30 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyBunch88
I’ve noticed a lot more Americans are picking up FIFA this year than any other years. I’m guessing because the US had a great World Cup campaign right? It was really fun to watch that team play this summer.
Anyways, when I started out with Madden back in ’09 everyone was really helpful for me to understand the game and rules. So I’ve got to give back!

That’s fine if you don’t watch the games. I’m pretty sure you can watch some games on YouTube. Maybe as a Man Utd fan I’d say if you can find it Man Utd vs Bayern Munich ’99 the year United won the treble! Also Man Utd vs Chelsea 2008 is a good one. But YouTube is good for some old matches.

As a parent, would you feel safer your son playing soccer over American Football? Less injuries, not as impactful. It’s just interesting because maybe 10 years ago, an American kid playing soccer first, before football, must have been unheard of. Just interesting to see how the game is growing over there with the MLS.

I used to watch football all the time through my pre-teen years. Like 8-12 maybe 13. Huge Man Utd fan. Lost interest for ages. Then I wanted to get back into it, picked up FIFA and could hold a conversation about most teams, most player names. It’s great to teach you about the game, how it’s played, who plays for what team etc.

And if you don’t want to spend the full $60 or however much it is over there, you could always pick up FIFA 14 and play that game. It’s a solid game, you could get it cheaper for sure and still learn soccer. But IMO ’15 is a lot better and on the PS4 / Xbox One it’s insane! The graphics, gameplay, it’s so good.

Watch some YouTube videos of gameplay of FIFA 15 and see what you think.
Getting off track but I was thinking while reading your post, which sport would I want my son to play when I have kids soccer or football? There are concussion issues in both sports. But I am leaning towards soccer because I feel like he would be able to get more money that way and get to travel the world should he be good enough. I also think that there are too many other injuries that my kid could get by playing football.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »