Home

FIFA Beginners Guide.

This is a discussion on FIFA Beginners Guide. within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #1
Rookie

BradyBunch88's Arena

OVR: 2
FIFA Beginners Guide.

I've written up a "beginners guide" to FIFA. Now, there's a lot I haven't gone into and it's focused mostly on Career Mode. But I keep seeing so many threads on here that say "Need help going from one difficulty to the next" or "Career Mode help" or "How to loan players" etc.

I always like to help newcomers to FIFA, but it got a little bit tedious typing out the same advice in threads. So I thought it'd be a good idea to type up a beginners guide to career mode. This isn't just for you guys, it's also for me, if for whatever reason I lay off FIFA for a while and decide to pick it up again, I'll be able to remember how I used to play and remember some handy tips and tricks in FIFA.

Like I said, it's not amazing and there's probably a lot of stuff I've left out which maybe the more experienced FIFA players can help me out with.

I go into a lot of detail about progressing youth players because, for me, that's my favourite part of the game. Starting off with a 72 OVR rated 16 year old and then progressing them as the seasons go by to an 89 OVR beast!

So here is the document let me know what you guys think, if you have any info you'd like to add, any links etc.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxs...ew?usp=sharing

By the way I'm not getting any money or any recognition for posting the links at the end, they're just some links and websites that have always helped me when playing FIFA.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2014, 03:48 PM   #2
MVP

bvb24's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: FIFA Beginners Guide.

I just can't bring myself to use the saves and reload every time something happens that I don't like. That just feels like cheating to me.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:48 AM   #3
Rookie

BradyBunch88's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvb24
I just can't bring myself to use the saves and reload every time something happens that I don't like. That just feels like cheating to me.
And that's fair enough, I like to use it but only for scouting reports. I just wanted to try and cover all areas of career mode more or less. To tell everyone that the option is there if you want to use it or not.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:33 PM   #4
Rookie

How much of this is still applicable to FIFA 14? I'm a little late to the FIFA game, still playing last year's, and I don't want to give up my career mode team just yet ...
Old 11-11-2014, 01:44 PM   #5
Rookie

snyder5man's Arena

OVR: 0

I have a question.

You talk about getting players grades up and keeping them up.
You also talk about good times to sub.

Most games, my CBs have low grades. A good grade from one of my games is 6.8.......
Also, if you sub someone, their grade goes down. I took out my ST (who had 3 goals) came out with a 9.8 and at the end of the game he had 8.9......
The person I sub in has a good game and only gets graded as 5.1?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2014, 03:18 PM   #6
Rookie

BradyBunch88's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyquil99
How much of this is still applicable to FIFA 14? I'm a little late to the FIFA game, still playing last year's, and I don't want to give up my career mode team just yet ...
I was exactly the same! In fact, I held off playing FIFA for a couple days until I finished my last season on FIFA 14. In my opinion, FIFA 14 was one of the best FIFA titles of recent years. I’m really into FIFA 15 and if or when you make the jump, I’m sure you’ll like it too.

The good news is that all of this is still applicable to FIFA 14. In fact, that’s where I learned about most of these tips and tricks.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:29 PM   #7
Rookie

BradyBunch88's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyder5man
I have a question.

You talk about getting players grades up and keeping them up.
You also talk about good times to sub.

Most games, my CBs have low grades. A good grade from one of my games is 6.8.......
Also, if you sub someone, their grade goes down. I took out my ST (who had 3 goals) came out with a 9.8 and at the end of the game he had 8.9......
The person I sub in has a good game and only gets graded as 5.1?
I try not to control my back four and what’s interesting was, I saw Match of the Day last weekend and Martin Keown spoke about not moving your back four, you don’t want them out of position. It’s for obvious reasons. It’ll open too many gaps.

Players lose grades when they’re out of position. So try to keep them in position as much as possible, at least when defending. Making all of your passes helps too. When you have a corner and you have your CB’s ready to head the ball, try and cross it to them. Check out a corner tutorial on YouTube on how to score more frequently with corner kicks. Making tackles and I don’t mean sliding tackles or even standing tackles. But mark your man, stay in front of him, if he beats you, then your grade goes down because he’s run past you or whatever. I don’t know the controls for Xbox but for PS just be patient and use “X” to make the tackle when the time is right.

All these things combined should up your CB’s grades. I don’t think it does anything more than keep your players in form. Last year in FIFA 14, I believe that it helped the progression of players.

As for the substitutes, the good times to sub was something I saw in an article which, for me, was interesting. It has no affect either way in FIFA.
But yes, I know exactly what you mean. I saw this in FIFA 14 too. I’m not sure if it’s a bug, but when you do sub a player who might be 9.8 in a game, you sub him and then by the end of the game he’s like 8.9, it’s silly. And I don’t know why EA do that.

But I’ve had subs come into the game and score one or two goals and get a solid 8.2 grade. I think (just like real life) it depends on a few factors. What the situation is. If you’re 4-0 and your sub scores two goals, then maybe he’ll have a 7.2 grade. But, if you’re 2-0 down and your sub scores two or three goals, he could have a 9.5 grade. It depends how important the goals are. If he doesn’t score goals, but has a good game, then - also depending on how much time is left - he could get any type of grade.

So yeah, I don’t know about the player grades going down, that annoys me too. But I hope I answered your questions! Good questions too by the way!
Old 11-11-2014, 08:57 PM   #8
Rookie

snyder5man's Arena

OVR: 0

Good stuff! I do try to avoid using my back 4, but I do need to improve on that. As far as subs, I've become hesitant to sub.... I want to get appearances for my guys, but I often get poor form from a 80th minute sub.
If I'm up by 3, I might sub a ST/RW/LW for an extra CB and move from 4-3-3 to a 5-4-1.

Either way, great response. I'm constantly learning new things about this game. I'm unsure if I will ever get bored of it. Thanks for unlocking some new things for me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »