Home

I need to learn how to play FIFA properly.

This is a discussion on I need to learn how to play FIFA properly. within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-27-2014, 05:31 PM   #9
Rookie

olliekse's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: I need to learn how to play FIFA properly.

this has sold many copies, great book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inverting-Py.../dp/1409128644
Old 11-28-2014, 05:22 AM   #10
Just started!

Icon14 Re: I need to learn how to play FIFA properly.

@olliekse hi i have also single copy of this book. that is really nice ..
Old 11-28-2014, 03:40 PM   #11

NewNapkin's Arena

OVR: 9

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

Yeah, I probably should have said that I am an offline sim-style player just looking to have some realistic gameplay.

My main struggles seem to be passing and defense. My passes are accurate (I do use full manual controls), but I just make stupid passes that make me throw my controller down constantly. On defense, I don't chase, but I can't stop them from getting into my box, resulting in highly skewed shot stats.

I am using the OS Community Sliders, and everything is good except for those two phases of the game that I struggle with. I know all of the positions and their jobs, all the rules of the game, so I just need to work on my decision-making and find a way to slow down the opposition whilst defending.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2014, 07:46 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmvp
Thanks for all the replies everyone!

Yeah, I probably should have said that I am an offline sim-style player just looking to have some realistic gameplay.

My main struggles seem to be passing and defense. My passes are accurate (I do use full manual controls), but I just make stupid passes that make me throw my controller down constantly. On defense, I don't chase, but I can't stop them from getting into my box, resulting in highly skewed shot stats.

I am using the OS Community Sliders, and everything is good except for those two phases of the game that I struggle with. I know all of the positions and their jobs, all the rules of the game, so I just need to work on my decision-making and find a way to slow down the opposition whilst defending.
You know, you might want to slow down game play for a while. There is a slider for that in Game Settings somewhere. Slow it down a bunch so you can start to recognize situations and how to react. Then slowly ramp it back up to "normal".
Old 11-29-2014, 01:21 AM   #13
MVP

moose141's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by olliekse
this has sold many copies, great book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inverting-Py.../dp/1409128644
I have this, it's a fantastic read for anyone interested. Though I'd say it's a bit long for someone just looking for the basics to play some good ol' FIFA. Like everyone has said, watching the real sport as well as playing FIFA and visually moves ahead of time both on and off the ball will really get you a feel for how you want to play the game.

And also, if you're playing career mode or FUT or whatever, the players at your disposal always will dictate how you should play the game as well. If you have fast wide players and a big striker, you'll probably get the ball up the wings and hit a lot of crosses into the box. If you have a technically skilled team, you'll probably play a more possession based style of play. Same thing with your formation, it really depends on the players you have at your disposal which affects both how you set the team up in a formation and then the style of football that you play.

So there is definitely plenty to learn but just through visuals and practice it helps to figure things out.

EDIT: Going off of what the O.P. said in reply above, I would offer the advice that don't always worry about what the "stats" say because I've seen games where shots I've taken just don't register with the game for some reason and have even won games where it said the CPU outshot me by a ton when I know that wasn't true just because things didn't always register. But as for keeping them from your box, just work on trying to force passes to the outside of the area into less dangerous positions to prevent shots. As for your passing, like I said about visualizing and such, I think this more or less comes down to the old adage of "practice makes perfect."

Pittsburgh Penguins - Pittsburgh Panthers - Pittsburgh Steelers - Pittsburgh Pirates - West Ham United
University of Pittsburgh Ice Hockey

Last edited by moose141; 11-29-2014 at 01:25 AM.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:19 PM   #14
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

Also worth mentioning it's good to get in the habit of holding LB/L1 for pace control when attempting to dribble through tight spots.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:17 AM   #15
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
Also worth mentioning it's good to get in the habit of holding LB/L1 for pace control when attempting to dribble through tight spots.
Pretty sure that's LT/L2. LB/L1 calls for your teammate to make a run. Another tight space dribbling tip is to pull both triggers, or both 2 buttons. This will make you slowly face up dribble, when you are ready to explode in a direction, release the Left Trigger only, keep holding the right tigger and the dirction you want to go.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2014, 11:25 PM   #16
Rookie

NightRaven3's Arena

Lb/l1 are for calling runs, though sometimes I feel it doesnt work as well as it should.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »