Home

Can we talk about the CPU (slide) tackling?

This is a discussion on Can we talk about the CPU (slide) tackling? within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-10-2015, 10:39 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 8
Can we talk about the CPU (slide) tackling?

Seriously ... what is the deal with this?

There seems to be an unrealistic frequency and amount of success that the CPU enjoys with their tackles against me (often slide tackles). Their timing is always so perfect ... both in terms of not getting called for the foul, and in terms of tackling me *immediately* before I try for a pass/cross/shot.

I do not enjoy the same tackling goodness when I am the defensive team against the CPU offense - that is for certain.

The CPU *does* get called for a foul every once in a while ... I am not saying that it is a complete cheat ... but, in a typical match, the CPU has about 25 tackles against me (with maybe 2 fouls called against the CPU) and I have about 12 tackles against the CPU (with maybe 2 fouls called against me) ... the fouls/tackle is not proportional for the CPU.

There are two appearances of this particular annoyance ... (1) in open play I see a lot of crushing slide tackles (my team leads the league in "getting back up off the ground") that disrupt my attempt at a build-up when I am on offense, and (2) whenever I reach the edge of the 18-yard-box the CPU becomes excessively aggressive (and successful) at dis-possessing my player before I am able to turn and look at goal, or pass to a teammate, or attempt a shot, you get the idea ...

There is a good chance that, in addition to this being a bit of a CPU cheat, I am also doing something wrong ... I am probably doing something wrong. If you have any idea what I am likely to be doing wrong - please let me know what I should try to do differently.

Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-11-2015, 10:19 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Can we talk about the CPU (slide) tackling?

the computer is super accurate with their tackles and they do have good timing. I'm not entirely sure if this is due to an overpowered AI or just due to my skill and using a predictable path in build play. I do find when I'm playing with more agile and pacey players and I use their agility to create space, I get more fouls on slide tackles whereas if i'm using a slower player and playing the ball into a predictable path.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:43 AM   #3
Pro

Personaly I havenīt experienced this in a superpowered way. Maybe its the way I play and maybe thatīs why I feel this game is so balanced. I do find it hard to attack but thereīs a balance between CPU tackles and my own mistakes/bad decisions. To be honest, this dificulty makes us find other ways to create real chances. Of course if I play with weaker players against a top team its going to be harder, but still I can get lots of fouls. When I have the ball I always avoid too much time with it. Either run with it to space or pass it to a team mate. Receiving a pass is also important, and dependind on the player, I always walk/run in the direction my player is facing first. If I try to control and turn imediatly when in pressure, the CPU will likely take the ball away.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:00 PM   #4
All Star

orion523's Arena

OVR: 21

There is a simple answer to this, slow down. And by slow down I mean lay off the sprint button so that when the CPU goes for the slide you can use a quick evasive maneuver to either draw a foul or skip right by. Saying this isn't conjecture on my part, it works, but, its not easy. Our first instinct is to mash the sprint button because, well that's what's always worked in the past. Thankfully however that's not the case anymore and smart patient play most times wins out almost always, the trick though is adjusting.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:46 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 8

I am pretty much anti-sprint already ... I have been working hard over the past few years or so to train myself to play without using RT. I need to get better at the quick side-to-side or darting moves to help me with possession of the ball.

It just seems that in the risk/reward consideration about a slide tackle ... there really is no "risk" for the CPU ... they rarely miss the tackle (which would be a risk since I would be able to take advantage of the defensive player having gone to ground) and they rarely get called for a foul or get a card (which would be a risk in giving me a free kick).

I plan to start another one of my "talking points" threads - one which focuses on the different kinds of dribbling - this might be the crux of what I need to get better at to offset the CPU defensive mentality. If I am "too patient" ... waiting with the ball, looking for a teammate to move toward an open space ... the CPU is able to tackle the ball off my stationary player just the same (so it is not only in situations where I am advancing too quickly with the ball).

Thanks for the thoughts so far ...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2015, 10:36 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 1

I feel like the primary way the AI cheats on WC and above is acceleration. Reducing this even slightly results in a lot of the magic stuff the AI does just going away (like the inch perfect slide tackles from behind against a faster opponent in the box). This is because their supernatural accel allows them to cut and react to everything faster as well as make small movements and adjustments. The problem is it also nerfs their offense.

I've been experimenting with playing with the same sliders for myself and the AI, lowering accel and other values for both while increasing shot and pass speed. It seems to have helped somewhat. Essentially I'm playing with sprint speed 48 and accel 49 for both. It does seem to change the way the AI plays on both sides of the ball a bit, though in key matches all their players get insane 'magic' boosts where they suddenly all play like superheroes again. I play 9 minute halves and wanted more scoring on both sides (since 0-0 was my most common result) and this does seem to help a bit.

My biggest problem with the AI cheating is that it results in football that looks utterly unlike anything resembling reality. The slide tackle is pretty rare in the modern game, and slide tackling someone in the box will get you a penalty most of the time even if you do it perfectly. Crunching follow throughs that are legal by the traditional definition are now punished with yellow cards. But in FIFA these aren't just legal, they are commonplace!

I do think this wouldn't be quite as bad if the refs weren't so obsessed with playing advantage. Seriously, a foul 25 yards out in front of the box I want the frickin free kick! Also I've seen advantage played when I have the ball in my OWN box. Insane. Just call the damn fouls. I have noticed that nimble players can draw a lot of penalties from the AI in the box, to the point where playing on vanilla WC, I was scoring half my paltry number of goals from penalties.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:05 AM   #7
MVP

JHedges2's Arena

OVR: 12

Love these 'talking points' threads. Please, keep them coming. Often very informative to get the 'experts' feedback!
Old 01-12-2015, 06:06 PM   #8
Rookie

I agree with a lot of the points said on this thread. At times it does seem that the AI is very precise with their tackling, but you also need to know when to lay off of the sprint button.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »