Home

FIFA 15: Jostling, Jockeying, And You

This is a discussion on FIFA 15: Jostling, Jockeying, And You within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-26-2015, 01:48 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
FIFA 15: Jostling, Jockeying, And You

Yesterday I talked about scoring chances in FIFA 15, and today I'm here to change things up and talk about the jostle mechanic in FIFA 15.

First off, I have to explain how jostling/jockeying works in this year's game. The jostling mechanic, at its core, is a simple and smart gameplay mechanic that you can use on both offense and defense. On offense, you'll jostle/jockey for position by using L2 (on PS4) or LT (on Xbox One). On defense, you'll mostly use the B button (on Xbox One) or Circle button (on PS4) to "lock on" and fight for position against the ball carrier. (Take note: from here on out if I mention controls I'll be mentioning just PS4 controls for simplicity's sake). At its core, it's a mechanic that allows some push and pull to go on between two players as they fight for position and the ball.

Still with me so far? Cool, then after the jump I'll show off the jostling mechanic in GIF form as we get in to the meat of this breakdown.

Read More - FIFA 15: Jostling, Jockeying, And You
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2015, 02:17 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 8
Re: FIFA 15: Jostling, Jockeying, And You

Another win.

Please keep this coming.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:40 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2
Thank you for this article!! I had no friggin idea that you should double-tap the L2 on offense to jockey. All this time i've been HOLDING the L2 down, which now i realize was the reason why my offensive player would just slow down completely and stop, while the defender takes the ball. This is sooo friggin upsetting when you have the perfect lob through pass with your offensive player in front for the go-ahead score. I can't wait to try this when I get home because I've never understood jockeying on offense.

...defense I understood.

Also, great write-up about those damn "trip-ups". I cannot stand when the foul is not called as your offensive player gets tugged, as he does a friggin flip, while the defender simply takes the ball. Everything you show in your GIF images is ON POINT. Keep up w/ the articles.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:06 PM   #4
Rookie

snyder5man's Arena

OVR: 0

You've got some good articles. I've been playing this game for about a year and I am learning new things in every article.
I wouldn't mind a sort blurb on shooting. I used to think I knew how.....I've started playing with Accrington (because I want to start from nothing). Balls are flying everywhere, except where I want them. Do shots travel only forward of my body (meaning squared up with my body)? Does holding a directions while pressing B only affect the curve I put on the ball?

I ask because I hit a lot of balls straight down the middle of the goal or waaaaaay off target. I don't want to completely blame it on League 2 talent, as my opponents occasionally find the corner of the goal.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:48 PM   #5
Pro

speedtrucker's Arena

OVR: 4
slowly double tapping the offensive jockey "resets" the jockey so often what you'll see happen is the first "jockey" pulls the defender slightly off balance or turns his shoulder and then the 2nd "jockey" will often have your offensive player body off the defender.

be careful if the ball is flicked forward as often the 2nd "jockey" can completely have your offensive player body the defender so far away that you lose possession just by letting the ball run too far away.

there needs to be tighter reffing on the defender pulling because as it stands now, you basically have to be running for a long distance pulling the attackers jersey to cause a fall down foul to be called. and usually by that point it is now in the box and a PK...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2015, 04:48 PM   #6
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyder5man
You've got some good articles. I've been playing this game for about a year and I am learning new things in every article.
I wouldn't mind a sort blurb on shooting. I used to think I knew how.....I've started playing with Accrington (because I want to start from nothing). Balls are flying everywhere, except where I want them. Do shots travel only forward of my body (meaning squared up with my body)? Does holding a directions while pressing B only affect the curve I put on the ball?

I ask because I hit a lot of balls straight down the middle of the goal or waaaaaay off target. I don't want to completely blame it on League 2 talent, as my opponents occasionally find the corner of the goal.
I won't be writing any "strategy articles" really -- I don't really think this one even constitutes being such, but I'm happy you learned something! -- but here's a link to an official EA clip on shooting in this year's game that maybe will help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedtrucker
slowly double tapping the offensive jockey "resets" the jockey so often what you'll see happen is the first "jockey" pulls the defender slightly off balance or turns his shoulder and then the 2nd "jockey" will often have your offensive player body off the defender.

be careful if the ball is flicked forward as often the 2nd "jockey" can completely have your offensive player body the defender so far away that you lose possession just by letting the ball run too far away.

there needs to be tighter reffing on the defender pulling because as it stands now, you basically have to be running for a long distance pulling the attackers jersey to cause a fall down foul to be called. and usually by that point it is now in the box and a PK...
The bolded is something I thought about talking about in more depth, but figured I would save it for an article that will probably run over the weekend. But in short, I agree.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:32 AM   #7
Pro

With regard to both the jostle and tackle ... am I supposed to release the L-Stick before I begin holding down (to pull on the jersey) or mashing (to tackle) the [ B ] button? Will my defender continue to move if I am no longer holding the L-Stick in a direction?

Also ... how does holding LT ("jockey") differ from holding the [ A ] button ("contain")? Is there a *right* time for either of those ideas? Should I, again, release the L-Stick before I attempt to "jockey" or "contain"?

Last edited by SpHSpH; 02-27-2015 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:02 AM   #8
MVP

PPerfect_CJ's Arena

Excellent as always, Chris. I think a few of those examples show why there really needs to be a slider added for fouls and penalties. I played a game last night where I swear you coulda got away with MURDER in it.
#WeAreND

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »