Home

Discussion: What is UEFA Thinking?

This is a discussion on Discussion: What is UEFA Thinking? within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-10-2015, 10:51 AM   #25
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Discussion: What is UEFA Thinking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFig
Another year of Fifa is rolling on in and another year having to settle to play the Champions Cup instead of the officially licensed UEFA Champions league. I don't know what the specifics of PES licensing Champions League and how they got it. Was it money or UEFA's decision? Regardless of money or a decision, it's mind boggling that UEFA would license the far less successful soccer series on the market. Fifa is the most successful soccer game so why is UEFA settling for the less successful game? Thoughts?

I would like to pose probably dumb a question or scenario because I am quite certain of the answer. Or maybe I don't know the answer.

If you could foresee the future with EA finally acquiring the UEFA license exclusively, but the drawback is the game subsequently deteriorates at a steady pace and goes through rocky times. There is still competition so to speak, but the competition no longer has the license to keep it afloat. PES is still an available option for a few years, despite massive improvements to its gameplay and presentation that even surpasses your own expectations along with highly acclaimed reviews, sales has drastically improved but still rather lackluster, and in turn, Konami has announced it will leave the soccer business in a couple more years. PES's final release creates a product that smashes all competition. It becomes the gold standard in the world of soccer and only second to 2k basketball, followed by MLB the Show in 3rd. Unfortunately fans can't swallow the fact that PES doesn't have licenses. FIFA essentially becomes the next Madden, rich with licenses, still selling massive units but the overall product suffers, still playable and readily enjoyed by many but also flooded with even more complaints. Not analogous to the Madden that is now, but the Madden state of the PS3/XBox360 era. No longer do fans consider FIFA a solid product. It's just another game in the industry, albeit still a rather popular product with casual crowd.

All hypothetical of course, but if this is the case, do you still believe or would you want EA to go after the UEFA license exclusivity knowing well that it will be the downfall of FIFA, still playable, but not what FIFA is today or could have been with PES still around?
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2015, 11:07 AM   #26
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

With Konami's new mandate I could see PES getting scaled back to a mobile title with fewer licenses in a few years. Maybe even a return to a kind of ISS title like it was in its early days. I have a hard time believing PES breaks even any more. Of course it would be best if there was no exclusive licensing whatsoever and each game could procure licenses at it saw fit, but hey, licensed sports gaming is a big business these days as evidenced by how few survivors there are.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:12 AM   #27
The Kaptain

gopher_guy's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneBlitz
Think like a businessman or businesswoman. With the UCL license, you will get the fans that love it. You possibly drive PES out of the market, and now you get all of their fans as well. Plus, I hear PES actually outsells FIFA in South America or at least Brazil. If that's the case, then you always welcome more business. Plus, you can possibly expand the amount of people that play it. So, there are tons of benefits for that license.
Doesn't PES have the Brazilian league and Copa Libertadores fully (and exclusively) licensed?

I would think that's what puts PES ahead in Brazil, rather than the UEFA licensing.

"The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back."
-Herb Brooks
Old 09-10-2015, 12:29 PM   #28
Rookie

NikeBlitz's Arena

OVR: 6

Not a lot of people seem to remember but EA had the Champions League license, i think it was 2003, 2005 and 2007... then they dropped it and Konami took the opportunity.

Each time they released a "full game" (like the World Cup games) instead of including it in FIFA. I heard they were some issues with mixing the FIFA and UEFA licenses into the same game (no idea if true though).

See here http://www.amazon.com/UEFA-Champions...=operasport-20

EDIT : TexasFan2005 mentioned it earlier.

Anyway EA could at least include the Champions League balls. PES 5 had one or two while the license was EA's.

Last edited by NikeBlitz; 09-10-2015 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:16 PM   #29
---

TexasFan2005's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneBlitz
If FIFA gets the UEFA license, then that's a death knell for PES. The immersion factor in FIFA is simply light-years beyond anything that PES provides.

There is another death knell for PES that FIFA can do: make teams play like they do in real life, and make them use real life strategies such as focusing on a low rated or new play on another team. If EA makes FIFA play real soccer using team strategies, then it is officially over for PES. Period.
I'm a fan of both PES and FIFA, and I buy both yearly because they are both very good at producing in their areas of focus. However, not to turn this into a PES vs FIFA discussion, but the first part of your post is simply not true. While there are a lot more licenses, shinier/more appealing menus, and much better music in FIFA, there's a lot more emphasis on team & player individuality in PES that creates a much more immersive experience on the pitch.

As for the day PES is no more, then so to is FIFA as we know it today. If the past is any indication, then I actually hope for someone else to produce a soccer game that's even better than FIFA and PES to spark more creativity & competition among everyone.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:31 PM   #30
Pro

stevostl's Arena

OVR: 0

right... I'm a fan of both as well.. especially this year

and for all those that do love FIFA so much... better hope PES is around always because that's the reason they are both good games I think..

I have already seen PES advertised during soccer matches on the ad boards watching matches lately on TV more than I have seen for FIFA so far.

I also would not be surprised if PES gets some higher scores than Fifa this year in some of the European gaming sites. PES2016 won best sports game at the gamescon event in Germany over FIFA2016 in August for example..

So sales of PES might be up this year.. They are not going to surpass FIFA but they might be good for it's own right.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:57 PM   #31
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

I really don't think the UCL is THAT big of a seller. Don't get me wrong, it's a cool immersive add-on when you're in Master League/BAL (I still get chills thinking about my first match in the UCL with my 2011 BAL) but I don't think it moves units which is why I think EA let it go.

I really think Konami dropped the ball with it big-time. There should weekly challenges, replays, and historic matches available to play in an offline mode.

How cool would it be to play the Liverpool - Milan final from 2005 starting as Liverpool or Merseyside Red at halftime down 0-3?

Or every week corresponding with the competition is in real life there's a classic matchup from that round. Real-life is in the Round of 16, The 2010-11 Bayern-Inter 2nd leg is available to play or Bayern beating Arsenal in 2012/13 on away goals.

Playing all of those with classic uniforms (short shorts if applicable), balls, etc...

They have classic players now (some as Regens) and even some classic teams.

Basically, like a lot of things, they could be doing a lot more.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2015, 11:05 PM   #32
Zac
World-Class Diver

Zac's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevostl
right... I'm a fan of both as well.. especially this year

and for all those that do love FIFA so much... better hope PES is around always because that's the reason they are both good games I think..

I have already seen PES advertised during soccer matches on the ad boards watching matches lately on TV more than I have seen for FIFA so far.

I also would not be surprised if PES gets some higher scores than Fifa this year in some of the European gaming sites. PES2016 won best sports game at the gamescon event in Germany over FIFA2016 in August for example..

So sales of PES might be up this year.. They are not going to surpass FIFA but they might be good for it's own right.
Exactly. Its why I buy both games every year. I don't Play PES as much as FIFA. But its good to support both to help make sure the competition lasts. Otherwise the one that out lives the other will most likely go stale. Look at 2K. They crushed live. Live went away, 2k was just so so for those few years. I don't mean they had bad games, but they stopped improving. Then Live came back, and boom. They were on the ball again. Competition in gaming is good for the gamer. Also why console wars have always confused me.

Also PES coming out a week before FIFA this year is a god send.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »