Home

FIFA 17 Hands-On Impressions (FSB)

This is a discussion on FIFA 17 Hands-On Impressions (FSB) within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-16-2016, 09:22 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: FIFA 17 Hands-On Impressions (FSB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterZ
Of course, FIFA has a lot of good things going for it. Just saying this one area is an obvious oversight.
This is because FIFA is still operating on legacy code of 2002. You can see the coding on the PC, and how the different "scenarios" result in a certain script to be ran. As a former gameplay editor, I know these legacy codes very well. They were in FIFA 16, and I don't think there is any reason to remove them, in EA's mind, in FIFA 17.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:16 AM   #18
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
This is because FIFA is still operating on legacy code of 2002. You can see the coding on the PC, and how the different "scenarios" result in a certain script to be ran. As a former gameplay editor, I know these legacy codes very well. They were in FIFA 16, and I don't think there is any reason to remove them, in EA's mind, in FIFA 17.
Apart from legacy issues they need the individual traits to mean something. Messi is a dribbler, perhaps the best ever but in FIFA he's neutered much like Hazard, Neymar, and other dribblers.

I actually think the lack of distinct team styles (NOT differences in quality from say a Barcelona and Watford) coupled with lack of individuality is the biggest issue facing the series. It creates generic'ness and can lead to stale repetitive gameplay. What's odd is that when you play with those guys you can feel the difference in players but it somehow doesn't translate to the CPU.

I picked up Hazard in my Milan MM and on the ball he's as dangerous as he is in real life when on form. Same with Neymar who I use when managing the Selecao. Even players like Higuain who are primarily "ball-to-feet" #9's feel unique but I never get the feeling that they're dangerous when playing them. It's always obscure players that cause me issues.

The only real big time player I have had to play close attention to was Pogba. Big, strong, fast, and with a lethal shot from distance I had to actually recognize where he was at all times.

Back on topic....I don't expect wholesale gameplay changes from FIFA 17 because to be honest, it's not needed. What's needed is refinement and tweaks here & there mixed in with the above.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:25 AM   #19
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

Would be nice if instruction, and "organized" tactics actually meant something when it came to player behavior.

Too often I see my CDM or even CB in an advanced position. The other day I was trying to counter and the damn CB was running out in front around of me for midfield some reason and I lost the ball when he decided to cut in front of me and knocked it away.

It sounds like the AI revamp is supposed to address some of this. I also hope this means they do a better job balancing AI difficulty/momentum. I understand adaptive difficulty needs to be a thing for gameplay variety purposes, but it needs some work to feel more organic.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:38 AM   #20
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

FIFA, for years, has not been designed around individuality. The code clearly states on Overall (OVR) values, not individual player ID's.

The main problem with FIFA's determination code is the fact that it operates on Overall values. Such as Team Overall, Player Overall, etc.

The reason PES of the old days was so great is because it didn't use OVR values. FIFA's code is built on that, and then on situations.

What would be best, to me, is add in a rating such as "tactical discipline" for each player. This rating would determine just how disciplined the player is to sticking to their prescribed instructions on the tactics. Obviously, the lower value, the lower chance he is to carry out the instructions, and the higher, the more "rigid" and unwavering he is.

All of that doesn't matter if the CTT's aren't fixed. Player individuality will stand out when OVR is removed or they take a page out of PES book and add in the player cards (fox in the box, anchor man, etc) to force recognize those individuals.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:21 AM   #21
All Star

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
All of that doesn't matter if the CTT's aren't fixed. Player individuality will stand out when OVR is removed or they take a page out of PES book and add in the player cards (fox in the box, anchor man, etc) to force recognize those individuals.
Yes, that addition could have a ton of value for the series!

And I have to think they could really run with the marketing for it too ...

"Messi plays like Messi!"
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2016, 02:16 AM   #22
MVP

Brahvocado's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG
Apart from legacy issues they need the individual traits to mean something. Messi is a dribbler, perhaps the best ever but in FIFA he's neutered much like Hazard, Neymar, and other dribblers.

I actually think the lack of distinct team styles (NOT differences in quality from say a Barcelona and Watford) coupled with lack of individuality is the biggest issue facing the series. It creates generic'ness and can lead to stale repetitive gameplay. What's odd is that when you play with those guys you can feel the difference in players but it somehow doesn't translate to the CPU.

I picked up Hazard in my Milan MM and on the ball he's as dangerous as he is in real life when on form. Same with Neymar who I use when managing the Selecao. Even players like Higuain who are primarily "ball-to-feet" #9's feel unique but I never get the feeling that they're dangerous when playing them. It's always obscure players that cause me issues.

The only real big time player I have had to play close attention to was Pogba. Big, strong, fast, and with a lethal shot from distance I had to actually recognize where he was at all times.

Back on topic....I don't expect wholesale gameplay changes from FIFA 17 because to be honest, it's not needed. What's needed is refinement and tweaks here & there mixed in with the above.
This has been one of my biggest pet peeves for a while now. Drives me nuts when I'm doing say a La Liga cm, and it's the end of January and the top scorer in the league is my 81 rated striker on like 12 goals, with Ronaldo down the list sitting on 8 and Messi with 6.

Or playing in the prem, where Santi freaking Cazorla is almost always the top scorer in the league, but my 71 rated fullbacks can easily pocket Sanchez and Ozil can hardly complete a pass.

Honestly though, I'm not sure they would even change this. As much as I personally would love to see cpu-controlled Messi and Ronaldo scoring 40 per season and pooping all over my team when I play against them; I'm pretty sure a lot of people would complain about it.

At the end of the day, people who love winning every game by 10 goals and field teams of 3 strikers and 5 attacking mids wildly outnumber the people who want everything to be realistic and challenging.

Not that there's anything wrong with the way people enjoy playing the game, but it's also sort of the reason we can't have nice things.

Last edited by Brahvocado; 06-21-2016 at 02:20 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:29 PM   #23
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahvocado
This has been one of my biggest pet peeves for a while now. Drives me nuts when I'm doing say a La Liga cm, and it's the end of January and the top scorer in the league is my 81 rated striker on like 12 goals, with Ronaldo down the list sitting on 8 and Messi with 6.

Or playing in the prem, where Santi freaking Cazorla is almost always the top scorer in the league, but my 71 rated fullbacks can easily pocket Sanchez and Ozil can hardly complete a pass.

Honestly though, I'm not sure they would even change this. As much as I personally would love to see cpu-controlled Messi and Ronaldo scoring 40 per season and pooping all over my team when I play against them; I'm pretty sure a lot of people would complain about it.

At the end of the day, people who love winning every game by 10 goals and field teams of 3 strikers and 5 attacking mids wildly outnumber the people who want everything to be realistic and challenging.

Not that there's anything wrong with the way people enjoy playing the game, but it's also sort of the reason we can't have nice things.
Have you tried increasing difficulty?
Old 06-21-2016, 12:51 PM   #24
MVP

Brahvocado's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
Have you tried increasing difficulty?
Well **** me, I hadn't even considered that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »