Home

FIFA 17 Review

This is a discussion on FIFA 17 Review within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-26-2016, 07:33 AM   #25
MVP

OVR: 6
Re: FIFA 17 Review

I must say that i was a bit confused by the review in the sense you say games against CPU are great, but AI lacks personality and does a poor job defensively.

Even after all the other good things you mentioned in CPU AI, this two things seem like a cocktail for bad games against AI, not good games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2016, 07:46 AM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunogomes
I must say that i was a bit confused by the review in the sense you say games against CPU are great, but AI lacks personality and does a poor job defensively.

Even after all the other good things you mentioned in CPU AI, this two things seem like a cocktail for bad games against AI, not good games.
In terms of personality, it's a game that plays a very similar style of football across the board, but it does it really well in a CPU setting. So, personality is a negative factor, but the personality that it gives you plays out in a very effective manner. It's a difficult one to sum up -- games are excellent to play for the most part, but they aren't all that varied from a tactical standpoint. It will affect the enjoyment of the game in different ways for different people.

In terms of defense, I made a point in there of saying that when the AI slips up, it's almost always because of defensive issues. It doesn't mean that they happen all that often -- it's just that its biggest weakness is in that area. It becomes much more prominent in multiplayer. More often than not, the AI presents a fun challenge and does its job well when you're playing against the CPU.

Last edited by Fraser G.; 09-26-2016 at 07:55 AM.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:41 AM   #27
Rookie

Different people, different opinions. In the end for me, I prefer PES' tactics and development of a match. I do think the referees are not very strict in giving penalties. I got one on my first match, but in all the plus minus 49 I played after: non. That's not good and some fouls should have been called for.

What I love about FIFA is the atmosphere: pitch details, sidelines filled with players, substitutes sitting on the bench, all the different stadiums that breath football. That is what PES is missing for me. To me the ultimate football experience would be PES' on-pitch gameplay, but with the ability to have more fouls called for, speedy players actually be faster then the opposition, better menu's and FIFA's football atmospere.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:57 AM   #28
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: FIFA 17 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskins04
I think it was more of the goalie AI that killed the game for me last year. I've read some reviews where PES 2017 beats FIFA in the "on the pitch gameplay", but lacks in everything else. To me I need the graphics, the licenses, the career mode, and the gameplay. I need the whole package honestly.
That's a fair point and the kind of mature response we expect on here, especially if ever want to get into an adult conversation on OS in regards to a PES vs FIFA breakdown article(s) series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCB1990
The writer of this review is clearly not a "real football fan".
How anyone can infer that is beyond me.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:24 AM   #29
MVP

DBMcGee3's Arena

OVR: 7
I think I've finally decided to buy it. Truly loving PES, but I really love FIFA as well and the games just play so much differently from one another.

I love the added bit of control you get with FIFA. I've always found the dribbling to be a bit more complex and fun, and for better or worse I like the option to be able to shield the ball manually. If EA can get the formula just right on this it will be a key part of the game's foundation. I know a lot of people have complained about the speed being OPd for pacey players, but I feel like sometimes in PES my guys are stuck in the mud, particularly when trying to explode off a first touch or from a stand still. In FIFA you can burn by the right guys with the appropriate players, it just works better in my opinion, and it forces you to adjust your back line accordingly to defend an Aubameyang type of player.

I also find the graphics to be amazing this year. There's still a wonky face or two in there (David Silva inaccurate for 5 years running now) but most of the notable guys look really good, and I've found that EA does a great job of keeping boots and accessories updated throughout the season, which is always cool.

It's hard to argue about the lack of diversity in the CPU gameplan, which is frustrating because the tools are there if they would just assign the right strategies to each team. I guess at the end of the day I'm just lucky enough to be a bit of a noob in terms of the more in depth nuances of the sport, so it probably bothers me less than it does the guys in Europe.

2 great games this year, I'm stoked. Anyone know if there's any truth to the BPL presentation being patched in?
Old 09-26-2016, 10:09 AM   #30
Rookie

Very good review and too bad my concerns about the CPU AI seemed to be real, i was really hoping this year they could at least gave us a more variated and unpredictable AI to play against.

Since i´m more an offline player, gonna stick with PES for most of time but will probably end up getting Fifa for play online with friends, like all previous years.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:11 PM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 1
As i am the one that called PES "arcadey" in the first place, let me elaborate.A game must mimic the real thing.Animations must be realistic in spite of reaction times. It must be like watching a game on tv. No need to say more. A.I. is good in both games but in FIFA there are sliders that can help you ever further, something that PES really needs to implement. For me FIFA is more like watching and controlling a real soccer game.But that is just my opinion.I wish you good gaming.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2016, 03:28 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by WALTERBERRYPAOK
As i am the one that called PES "arcadey" in the first place, let me elaborate.A game must mimic the real thing.Animations must be realistic in spite of reaction times. It must be like watching a game on tv. No need to say more. A.I. is good in both games but in FIFA there are sliders that can help you ever further, something that PES really needs to implement. For me FIFA is more like watching and controlling a real soccer game.But that is just my opinion.I wish you good gaming.
Since I'm the second one that called PES arcadey, I agree with you 110%. The control I get with FIFA (this year) is nothing short of spectacular. One issue I had with PES for years is the way players shoot with the wrong foot. This happens ALL the time. You can tell that they're shooting with the wrong foot because it looks unnatural and awkward. Their body leans one way and the player switches his foot last second to take a corky shot. It's bothered me for years and FIFA does not have this issue.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »