Home

Help with FIFA's strategy.

This is a discussion on Help with FIFA's strategy. within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-11-2016, 01:11 PM   #1
Banned

Roscosuper's Arena

OVR: 2
Help with FIFA's strategy.

On xbox one, if I use the d-pad left or right, I have options for more attack or more defense. Now, I know what that means but what does it actually do?

What will it have my teammates do?

What are appropriate situations to move that slider?

When (by the game clock) are appropriate times to move that slider?

I'm using the Redbulls in career mode and I'd like to develop a game plan, but I don't fully understand FIFA's parameters ('17 is only my second FIFA).

Based on the Redbulls default settings, moving up at a moderate pace and attacking when the midfielders are setup and in position past midfield seems to be the best strategy as far as the AI's patterns. Sometimes the wingers will call for runs before midfield, but this usually leads to that winger being outnumbered and without options as the rest of the team takes their time moving up.

I also noticed, when playing player career mode, my coach would change formation late in the game if we were trailing, going to a 442. Is that tied to the d-pad or would I have to actually change the formation in the menu? Does anyone agree with this formations change?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2016, 04:23 PM   #2
Rookie

flo182's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Help with FIFA's strategy.

-> you have to change formation in the menu. Could be improved :/

-> "but this usually leads to that winger being outnumbered and without options as the rest of the team takes their time moving up."
Thats why I prefer tactics with a faster build-up speed. Normally I like to play at a slower pace but in FIFA 17 it really takes a lot of time for the team to move up the pitch, so I changed tactics a bit.

-> in terms of offensive/defensive setting. I hardly ever use the highest/lowest one. I go offensive if I play against weaker teams. Defensive if I play against great offensive teams like Barcelona, Bayern etc.
I only use the second highest/lowest option if I really want to defend or I'm down 2 goals, because they already push the team a lot in that direction.
A friend of mine always plays with Ultra-attacking as his standard setting and I think it's waaay to easy to counterattack him this way because all of his defender so far up the pitch.

I guess it really depends on your playing style and the AI difficulty. But if you play on world class I'd be really careful with the ultra-attacking / all-out-front settings.
Playing online I think the defensive setting is great for the beginning to adjust and learn about your opponent.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:11 PM   #3
Banned

Roscosuper's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo182
-> you have to change formation in the menu. Could be improved :/

-> "but this usually leads to that winger being outnumbered and without options as the rest of the team takes their time moving up."
Thats why I prefer tactics with a faster build-up speed. Normally I like to play at a slower pace but in FIFA 17 it really takes a lot of time for the team to move up the pitch, so I changed tactics a bit.

-> in terms of offensive/defensive setting. I hardly ever use the highest/lowest one. I go offensive if I play against weaker teams. Defensive if I play against great offensive teams like Barcelona, Bayern etc.
I only use the second highest/lowest option if I really want to defend or I'm down 2 goals, because they already push the team a lot in that direction.
A friend of mine always plays with Ultra-attacking as his standard setting and I think it's waaay to easy to counterattack him this way because all of his defender so far up the pitch.

I guess it really depends on your playing style and the AI difficulty. But if you play on world class I'd be really careful with the ultra-attacking / all-out-front settings.
Playing online I think the defensive setting is great for the beginning to adjust and learn about your opponent.

Interesting, I hadn't considered changing it based on my opponents. I guess I'll have to experiment with it. Thanks for the response.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:43 PM   #4
Banned

this is a mentality changer. offensive is for when you're against a much weaker team or when you concede a lead and needs to score asap. defensive is for the opposite. i don't usually use this before half-time, except when both situations happen at once, haha.

the extreme options are for desperate situations, when you want your team to give up defending or give up attacking. usually for the very last minutes of games, when the losing team has to go all or nothing.

as for the effects, it changes how low or high your defense sits on the pitch. if your defensive line is high, your whole team is pushed forwards and it puts more pressure on the opposition so you can regain the ball fast and closer to the final third. it's an offensive strategy. the downside is you leave holes on your defense and become more vulnerable to counters.

defensive is the opposite. the line sits deeper. defense is solid, but you put less pressure.

the arrows also change how many players are positioned in the opponents' box in set pieces. in ultra attack, you'll see a lot of your defenders going for it when you have a corner.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:51 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscosuper
I also noticed, when playing player career mode, my coach would change formation late in the game if we were trailing, going to a 442. Is that tied to the d-pad or would I have to actually change the formation in the menu? Does anyone agree with this formations change?
this isn't tied to the d-pad. playing as manager, you'd have to change it manually. as for the change to 4-4-2, it wouldn't be my only option but it's alright. populating the midfield to make your defense more solid.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »