Home

FIFA 17: The Beautiful Game Reigns

This is a discussion on FIFA 17: The Beautiful Game Reigns within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-29-2016, 10:38 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
FIFA 17: The Beautiful Game Reigns

As a somewhat late adopter of digital purchases, my consoles have a strictly monogamous relationship with footy games on disc. FIFA 17 on the Xbox One and PES 2017 on the PS4 are both on disc format, living peacefully under the same roof with only the TV input separating them. Let's just say I'm married to the game, just don't tell my wife.

As the new titles release, following their evolution and subsequent patches is a ritual all in itself. From tweaking sliders to staying abreast of the impressions from the community, the commitment to FIFA 17 requires time and your full attention. It's with that being said that I'll take a look at the current state of affairs.

Read More - FIFA 17: The Beautiful Game Reigns
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2016, 01:32 PM   #2
Rookie

ImmortalMindz's Arena

OVR: 0
Yes, this FIFA is mostly definitely a beautiful game. The problem is that it doesn't play or feel like the beautiful game it's meant to reflect.

I've been using the community sliders as they're released, however I'm increasingly thinking it's a lost cause. FIFA is quite simply just not a very intelligent game. PES has it's issues to be sure but just as FIFA for much of the last decade felt a generation beyond PES, PES now feels, at least in terms of intelligence and depth of gameplay, a generation beyond FIFA.

FIFA looks like football. PES plays and feels like football. That's a shame because I desperately wish FIFA were better. What a monumental disappointment that FIFA is all looks, no substance.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:12 PM   #3
All Star

OVR: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalMindz
Yes, this FIFA is mostly definitely a beautiful game. The problem is that it doesn't play or feel like the beautiful game it's meant to reflect.

I've been using the community sliders as they're released, however I'm increasingly thinking it's a lost cause. FIFA is quite simply just not a very intelligent game. PES has it's issues to be sure but just as FIFA for much of the last decade felt a generation beyond PES, PES now feels, at least in terms of intelligence and depth of gameplay, a generation beyond FIFA.

FIFA looks like football. PES plays and feels like football. That's a shame because I desperately wish FIFA were better. What a monumental disappointment that FIFA is all looks, no substance.
Excellent assessment, man. Bull's eye.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:53 AM   #4
MVP

DBMcGee3's Arena

OVR: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalMindz

I don't know man, they're a lot closer than that in my opinion. I'd love to see more tactical variety from the CPU in FIFA, but it's really my only gripe with the gameplay, at least in terms of offline. The pace feels right to me, the passing and shooting feel good, the shielding works pretty well, the GKs are solid. The refs are done well, still much better than PES in that area. They actually play the advantage, which simply doesn't happen in PES. I'd love to see the defensive AI come around a bit, particularly the 'teammate pressure' command, but overall I'm playing 30 minute games on World Class and seeing realistic numbers, other than the passing %s being a tad high.

PES definitely feels great, and I really love that the teams can be tactically edited to at least somewhat accurate represent different playing styles. There are also some upcoming option files that should have tactics perfected even more. That said, the CPU opponents (players) in PES do not accurately reflect their real life counter parts in my opinion. Guys like Neymar, Ronaldo and Messi should be an absolute menace when they have the ball, but in PES they frequently just run directly into a defender, even at the Superstar level. I can only think of 2 or 3 times in 3 months that I've been been legitimately juked by the CPU, they really only score from nice through balls and crosses, with the occasional rebound goal thrown in there as well.

2 great games overall in my opinion, if only we could take the best parts from each and make the Football Frankenstein we all desperately want.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »