Home

FIFA 18 Demo: What We Like and What We're Unsure About

This is a discussion on FIFA 18 Demo: What We Like and What We're Unsure About within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-18-2017, 07:29 AM   #9
Rookie

BSDShoes's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: FIFA 18 Demo: What We Like and What We're Unsure About

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusWJP
I though I'd try this one more time.
This game is actually disgusting!
Crazy stupid!
EA have sabotaged their own game, CB's don't seem to have a position anymore, my FB's thay I'm not using actually run away from their ball carrier.
This is also happening in PES 2018.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:01 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0

CPU Passing – To be blunt, it’s way too precise resulting in very high passing percentages by the CPU. This can be toned down by sliders, but even some of the lesser squads on the demo can ping the ball around with ease on the higher difficulty levels. On the flip side, this does help the CPU hold better possession making the battle for midfield more balanced.

“In-the-Box” – For me, FIFA 18 shines from box-to-box but suffers a little once you enter the eighteen. An odd combination of CPU passiveness and loose marking leads to far too many successful passes in the penalty area. In matches against Bayern Munich, I have seen the likes of Lewandoski and Robben dribble aimlessly around the box without the malicious intent they display in real-life.

This is exactly what has been wrong with FIFA for years...On legendary, its 10x worse. CPU will never take a chance as they are to concerned with not turning the ball over. Then they end the game with 95% pass accuracy.. 3 shots. 3 on goal. 3 goals (because the shots end up from 3 feet away).
Old 09-19-2017, 02:25 PM   #11
pissed, or parkinson's?

adayinthelife's Arena

OVR: 22

This game isn't developed by EA Tiburon as far as I know, as mentioned in your first list item...

Glad to see player weight mentioned though - it's the first thing I noticed vs. 17. Hopefully it's not just because it's shiny and new, but I'm really enjoying the feel.

Also, have they said anything about the highly stylized filtering for the different locations/times of day? Are these going to be consistent and are they going to be based on stadiums themselves, or specific start times?

Last edited by adayinthelife; 09-19-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2017, 03:27 PM   #12
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by adayinthelife
This game isn't developed by EA Tiburon as far as I know, as mentioned in your first list item...

Glad to see player weight mentioned though - it's the first thing I noticed vs. 17. Hopefully it's just because it's shiny and new, but I'm really enjoying the feel.

Also, have they said anything about the highly stylized filtering for the different locations/times of day? Are these going to be consistent and are they going to be based on stadiums themselves, or specific start times?

Oh yeah you're def right. It's EA Canada. Been lurking in the Madden forum for too long lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2017, 03:57 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody.stevens

This is exactly what has been wrong with FIFA for years...On legendary, its 10x worse. CPU will never take a chance as they are to concerned with not turning the ball over. Then they end the game with 95% pass accuracy.. 3 shots. 3 on goal. 3 goals (because the shots end up from 3 feet away).
While I think you have valid points regarding pass accuracy, I can't agree with this. On default settings sure.. but I'm still playing 17 on Legendary with the OS sliders and I literally NEVER see the 3 shot, 3 goals.

FIFA is far from perfect, but I'd ask you to show me a single sports video game that nails everything. Even 2k and The Show, often the most acclaimed franchises, suffer from limitations.

I think with proper sliders, we are going to have this thing tuned up nicely. I do agree with you regarding the box play, I think the CB's are just a too passive here in the demo. Swing over to the Community Sliders thread after release and see if you like what you see!
Old 09-20-2017, 12:54 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody.stevens
CPU Passing – To be blunt, it’s way too precise resulting in very high passing percentages by the CPU. This can be toned down by sliders, but even some of the lesser squads on the demo can ping the ball around with ease on the higher difficulty levels. On the flip side, this does help the CPU hold better possession making the battle for midfield more balanced.

“In-the-Box” – For me, FIFA 18 shines from box-to-box but suffers a little once you enter the eighteen. An odd combination of CPU passiveness and loose marking leads to far too many successful passes in the penalty area. In matches against Bayern Munich, I have seen the likes of Lewandoski and Robben dribble aimlessly around the box without the malicious intent they display in real-life.

Except the 3 shots and 3 goals, everything else has been my exact experience with FIFA 15, 16 and 17. Around the box they were terrible, only shoot sure shots after they pass the ball around aimlessly and without any purpose. And this was true with sliders also, in fact, i thought that altough Community Sliders fixed or reduced a lot of issues, it never solved this one, sometimes i even felt that it handicapped the CPU on offense.

However... in this FIFA 18 demo im not seeing any of that! Honestly, im not! CPU shoots more, passes less around the box, when it does it makes sense most of the times, and shoot near the box a few times if the situation allows it.

Im keeping my fingers crossed it keeps this up on the full game!

Last edited by nunogomes; 09-20-2017 at 12:57 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »