Home

Understanding CPU actions in FIFA

This is a discussion on Understanding CPU actions in FIFA within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-25-2018, 08:54 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Understanding CPU actions in FIFA

The biggest misconception with FIFA is how the CPU works. There are a multitude of people who say there is scripting... or that the CPU simply cheats etc... There are also numerous threads on sliders with many trying to "fix" the game. Many of these suffer from the same faulty reasoning that is simply down to not understanding how the CPU AI works in the game.

In FIFA you have the ability to make changes to a teams tactics by utilizing the Custom Teams Tactics (CTT). This allows customization of playing styles for the team and individual positions. To be clear these changes are only temporary if you're playing against the CPU.

After you start a match there are several ways to change a teams playing style. On the D Pad you can press up or down to change the CTT's and/or you can change the defensive and attacking levels by pressing left or right on the D Pad. All of these actions have a huge impact on the game.

The biggest misunderstanding by gamers is that the CPU is always static. Meaning that once the game starts the tactics remain the same as the default... not true. The CPU changes strategy within the game to adapt to what you're doing.

This is why there are times the CPU will suddenly become very different. Its NOT CHEATING the CPU has simply changed tactics. This means that if you do not use the D pad OR refuse to recognize the fact that the CPU changes, then the game will forever feel scripted to you. You must learn to counter the CPU to be effective.

For example: If suddenly the CPU is all in your face and you can't get out of your own end, which seemed to come from nowhere, then the CPU has gone into a high press and/or changed the attacking levels. You must counter that action to be effective.

Now how you do that is your choice. depending on your CTT's you can defend deeper or counter with more aggressive attacking levels etc... choice is yours BUT you must do something. Think of the D Pad as a manager screaming on the sidelines... you can yell for your players to get forward OR press high but if a manger does NOTHING? Well then your team will usually lose. That's NOT scripting people. It's called AI and you must learn to counter it and when you learn this aspect of the game it changes for the better.

And for you guys obsessed with sliders? This is the biggest misconception on those threads. So much time is spent trying to fix the animations or running patterns of the defenders when in fact all of those elements are handled within the game and within the D Pad strategies.

Simply put. If you learn to effectively use the D Pad in the game and counter the CPU's actions the game is a lot more fun and very realistic as long as you're on the appropriate difficulty level.

Advice

Here are some tips for you on D pad useage.

Finding balance in play is the key to success, The biggest problem in the D pad strategies is the way the devs named the settings. If you push left or right on the D pad it effects your attacking and defensive levels (Park The Bus to All Out Attack etc...) But the D pad attack and defence levels are really more about how aggressive your players are. In other words, when you apply "attack" your really telling your players to be aggressive and vice versa. This means that if you're being pinned back by the CPU then it is usually best to use more attack minded levels than the defensive. It seems illogical I know but if the devs had just changed the wording then I think people would be less confused.

Here's my advice. Set your CTT's to mid level settings (40-60). This way your team has basic balance. Then in the game be aggressive with the attack/defend levels. If you do the opposite then you can hit problems. For instance... if you have your CTT's set to high pressure AND you use very aggressive attacking levels then your players will take those really weird angles to the player in possession. You'll see the CPU do this from time to time. To eliminate that YOU DO NOT HAVE TO CHANGE SLIDERS you slimply change the aggression levels you have your players set at.

The game is simple to understand when you get this idea of team balance right. Basically FIFA is a game that is about getting these D pad strategies correct and making the right adjustments within the game as the CPU makes changes too.

Last edited by roswell0075; 04-29-2018 at 08:21 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2018, 04:31 PM   #2
Rookie

face2face's Arena

Re: Understanding CPU actions in FIFA

if I press the D pad while playing and select, let's say:
Counter Attack.
how long my team will stay with this tactic?
Old 04-25-2018, 06:18 PM   #3
YNWA

~LiverpoolRed~'s Arena

OVR: 24

It will stick with that tactic until you change it again.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:11 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 3

I also think people misunderstand that when down late in a game by a goal or two teams usually put pressure on the opposition, pin them in their third and maintain possession to help set up tying goals. The first time this happened to me I was glad because it mimicked real life. In the current iteration of the game I found myself tinkering with my tactics if I was up late to keep my darned fullbacks and CDM from streaking into the opposition box. So if they turn up the heat on you and you want to keep playing your player's start of game tactics, you'll find yourself out manned in your third when you don't want it and voila, they score on you. Maybe the 'scripting' in lieu of true AI is more to dictate the opposing style of play and if you don't counter properly, they can beat you.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:59 AM   #5
Can't spell antetokounmpo

Bahnzo's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by roswell0075
For example: If suddenly the CPU is all in your face and you can't get out of your own end, which seemed to come from nowhere, then the CPU has gone into a high press and/or changed the attacking levels. You must counter that action to be effective.
It's more than just the CPU changing attacking levels. If you play squad battle, even the lowest bronze teams become impressive icon-like players in the last stages of the game when behind. They suddenly become great at playing passing lanes and *never* fall for feints and tricks.

It's something that's been in FIFA and other EA sports games for a LONG time. Instead of having some sort of AI that becomes smarter when you increase the difficulty, they resort to increasing their ratings and outright cheating. It's one of my pet peeves about EA for many years now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2018, 12:34 PM   #6
Rookie

face2face's Arena

found this page explaining the D-Pad custom tactics:

https://www.upfifacoins.com/news/975...ction-work-for
Old 04-26-2018, 09:33 PM   #7
Rookie

face2face's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~LiverpoolRed~
It will stick with that tactic until you change it again.
is there any way to come back to the default team tactic?
Old 04-26-2018, 10:15 PM   #8

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2

The best thing to do is just embrace how the game was built to be played, and play 6 minute halfs with controls set to assisted.

When you try making the games longer, and try to make the CPU play the way you want (or think they should) play via tactics/sliders, you are going to be disappointed. Even when you think you've hit on some secret to fix everything, you'll realize that there's too many variables at play under the hood.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »