Home

Commentary

This is a discussion on Commentary within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-23-2019, 05:23 PM   #17
Pro

jrnlgrn's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Commentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat_Fan
I don't think in-game commentary will improve drastically and sound natural until developers begin to utilize audio AI. Google has started to push development on audio AI.

Recently Google demoed it's audio AI and had it make a call to a restaurant to make reservations. The human on the other end had NO clue they were talking to a robot. The AI conversation sounding that natural.

Just imagine when devs start to use audio AI in their games were it sounds like Martin Tyler is calling a Live broadcast of a Manchester United game in a FIFA video game. It will take time but I think we are at a point where graphics can only get so good. It's time for audio AI development.
Having truly adaptive/dynamic commentary would be amazing.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2019, 11:51 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 2

After 5 and more years is commantary bad any how. Regen players should have audio name, atmosphere is nowhere close than in first couple season in career mode.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:37 AM   #19
Pro

The commentary has been repetitive from year 1! I only use it for uploading games to YouTube as I’m on Xbox and don’t have a separate microphone and game capture card for editing. Otherwise it’s off! In my Portsmouth career mode (which I’ve stopped uploading as nobody watches it), Martin Tyler keeps going on about how poorly Sunderland are doing and that every year is a relegation fight and this year seems no different. After 36 games they are top of the league! It just completely spoils the whole cm experience when you hear this ! It’s the same quotes over and over again. I understand it must be difficult to adapt up to date, in the moment commentary, and don’t see it happening anytime soon. Definitely remains off for me now.

Sent from my iPad using Operation Sports
Old 05-18-2019, 12:31 PM   #20
Rookie

"This AI-generated Joe Rogan fake has to be heard to be believed

The most realistic AI voice clone we’ve heard"

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/17/1...=pocket-newtab
Old 05-18-2019, 01:39 PM   #21
Pro

jrnlgrn's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat_Fan
"This AI-generated Joe Rogan fake has to be heard to be believed

The most realistic AI voice clone we’ve heard"

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/17/1...=pocket-newtab
I could definitely see EA or a company that actually cares using this to make some really cool commentary. Also I would imagine that they will eventually just bypass even hiring and licensing real announcers and just create an AI announcer.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2019, 02:11 PM   #22
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrnlgrn
I could definitely see EA or a company that actually cares using this to make some really cool commentary. Also I would imagine that they will eventually just bypass even hiring and licensing real announcers and just create an AI announcer.
Based on past history, EA has typically used real announcers just like they use full licensing throughout their Sports videogames. "If it's in the game, it's in the game". The trend has shifted to using real announcers as commentary started getting better with the PS2 and original XBOX. That's the trend that continues even to this day as gamers are wanting more realism when it comes to Sports titles and generic voice actors might not appeal to vocal gamers as real broadcast announcers would.

The only notable exception was NFL2K who used voice actors. So I would expect EA continuing the trend of using the voices of real announcers if in the future they decided to explore Audio AI. These announcements are what I expect to possibly have the big videogame companies kickstart and pursue Audio AI.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:02 AM   #23
Pro

boxers's Arena

My $0.02 -- I've played this game for many years and I still enjoy the commentary. I like the addition of Rae and Dixon for Champions League but they absolutely must add record more dialogue for FIFA 20. Same comment applies to Tyler and Smith -- I find this really sounds like EPL weekends and non-FIFA players that hear it often can't tell the difference. Again, they need to continue adding new dialogue, specifically more banter and more dialogue related to what's happening in your career mode.

I'll also note that, for me, NBA 2K has the most engaging commentary in video game sports. They clearly put a lot of time and effort to recreate the TV presentation and it shows. That said, basketball commentary is a different style and allows for much more banter and excitement.

All in all, FIFA does a good job on commentary and they have taken a positive step by adding Rae and Dixon for the European competitions. I would also add that FIFA's commentary, for me, much more enjoyable on the ears than NHL, Madden, PES or The Show. Credit where credit is due.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »