Home

FIFA 21 Next-Gen Available Today - Let's Hear Your Impressions!

This is a discussion on FIFA 21 Next-Gen Available Today - Let's Hear Your Impressions! within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-03-2020, 01:45 PM   #33
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: FIFA 21 Next-gen update now out on Xbox Series S|X (And PS5 Now Too)

Saw a couple comments about the ball... I noticed something different as well. It might be entirely visual and be related to being able to see rotation/spin with more clarity. But I saw a few instances where it seemed to come off the foot with more natural action based on how it was struck. Again, might be entirely visual fidelity, but they did put out a tweet about ball impact effects that showed Haaland's foot meeting the ball (and the ball deforming at impact) so perhaps there's tech involved that wasn't there before. Seems like a stretch but I saw a few slices and flubs from awkward positions that looked more lifelike than last gen.
Old 12-03-2020, 02:15 PM   #34
Pro

OVR: 0

Can someone check to see if the Adidas All-Star Team issue is on the PS5 version with those players not showing up in the Club Transfers? I know it got fixed in the PS4 version but just wanted to make sure

Last edited by cdub71323; 12-03-2020 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-03-2020, 02:36 PM   #35
All Star

OVR: 20

Did we ever get information about whether fatigued players result in heavier triggers on PS5?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2020, 02:36 PM   #36
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Saw a couple comments about the ball... I noticed something different as well. It might be entirely visual and be related to being able to see rotation/spin with more clarity. But I saw a few instances where it seemed to come off the foot with more natural action based on how it was struck. Again, might be entirely visual fidelity, but they did put out a tweet about ball impact effects that showed Haaland's foot meeting the ball (and the ball deforming at impact) so perhaps there's tech involved that wasn't there before. Seems like a stretch but I saw a few slices and flubs from awkward positions that looked more lifelike than last gen.
Feels a lil heavier too Q.

Time to get the band back together!
Old 12-03-2020, 02:38 PM   #37
Pro

jrnlgrn's Arena

Have they added any goal keeper animations?
Old 12-03-2020, 03:09 PM   #38
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrnlgrn
Have they added any goal keeper animations?

Haven’t seen any new ones but tbh I’ve only played a few matches.

They’re still suspect at the near post from what’ve seen so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2020, 04:00 PM   #39
Rookie

Anyone else think the frame rate is a bit choppy on PS5?

Also 'Tele' camera view doesn't have shadows which makes it unplayable as you can't sense depth etc..
Old 12-03-2020, 04:28 PM   #40
MVP

CarryTheWeight's Arena

OVR: 30

(Preface: I didn't play a lot of 20 and skipped 21 entirely before next gen, so my impressions may be a bit skewed toward the experience feeling newer than many of yours.)

Very impressed so far. The lighting and crowds in the opening cinematic jumped out first as being substantially better than current gen FIFA. Subtle "little things" like bubbles floating over the pitch well after kickoff for West Ham add a lot to the uniqueness of certain stadiums.

Player models (minus lighting) don't seem a ton different than PC on Ultra settings, but star player faces look absolutely stunning, even on MLS teams.

I'm not a huge fan of gameplay running at 60 FPS and all off-ball cutscenes (even ones running at real time) locked to 30. It's a strange stylistic choice that is even more noticeable on next-gen than it ever was on PC and PS4/XB1. Madden has this same issue and it's absolutely jarring.

Gameplay itself, at least to me, isn't the massive leap forward I expected but it still feels new and fresh in some ways. This is very much a FIFA game even if it's been refined in certain areas.

I'm convinced the children walking out with the players may only be for the opening cinematic. Haven't seen it again since, but, as an OS'er above also said, the cutscenes before the match look really cool. I just don't know if any stadiums other than Anfield get any detailed exterior shots. Didn't see any for Vancouver, West Ham or Real Madrid.

Overall, this still feels next gen to me, even if it's the same type of refinement we saw from PS4's FIFA 14. That, to me, isn't a bad thing. I don't see any gamebreaking flaws so far, and the graphics seem to look as good as the "next gen teaser" EA released earlier this summer (not so much with Madden). The PS5 controller feedback is really nice, especially while defending after chasing down an attacker.

As I said in the Madden impressions thread, this generation will live and die by the amount of effort EA wants to put in. More work needs to be done to push this hardware to the limit, and I have my doubts that EA actually wants to do it with the Ultimate Team money coming in. This is a solid start, but this series (and Madden, and NHL) needs to innovate over the next 8ish years, no excuses.

Last edited by CarryTheWeight; 12-03-2020 at 04:33 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »