Home

FIFA 22 Gameplay Improvements and Changes Detailed - New Gameplay Trailer

This is a discussion on FIFA 22 Gameplay Improvements and Changes Detailed - New Gameplay Trailer within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2021, 11:08 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
FIFA 22 Gameplay Improvements and Changes Detailed - New Gameplay Trailer

EA has posted a new Pitch Notes article discussing the gameplay improvements and changes that have...

Written By: Steve Noah

Click here to view the article.
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2021, 12:24 PM   #2
Pro

jrnlgrn's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: FIFA 22 Gameplay Details - Pitch Notes

Maybe my understanding of the sport is wrong or I'm not seeing it correctly but the defensive AI moved as a unit and tracked until the ball bypassed the midfielders. Once the ball got around the penalty area the midfield just stood back.

Up until that point I was on board with what they were saying.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Operation Sports mobile app

Last edited by jrnlgrn; 07-29-2021 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-29-2021, 01:10 PM   #3
Rookie

Re: FIFA 22 Gameplay Details - Pitch Notes

fully agree, as soon the ball got near the penalty area, the "HyperTacticalNextGenAI" shows it flaws. While all positioning was good when the ball still was in midfield, from the point the No. 20 of RMA got the ball, the flaw starts.

No. 4 of Milan instantly had to move to No. 9 of RMA and either shut down the passing line or stick to No. 9, because no one else from RMA was even near Penalty Area.

Reference : https://youtu.be/b_M8ppY48sg
Old 07-30-2021, 03:26 AM   #4
Rookie

Re: FIFA 22 Gameplay Improvements and Changes Detailed - New Gameplay Trailer

Their obsession with 1v1s is getting old now.

What's worrying about all this:

Deeper Match Analysis: detailed stats are nice but that's not about realism... From the image they posted: PSG - CITY 5-2, 1 foul, zero cards. That's not football is it?

Interceptions: "The goal here is to disrupt the course of the pass, even if that means not retaining the ball. These Disrupt Interceptions can only be performed by user controlled players".

Again the whole game reduced to 1v1s. Just play around the 1 player who can defend. That's not football. It's simplistic, childish & stupid, but it's not 11v11 football.

AI: "We re-wrote defending Competitor Mode CPU AI, with something we call Threat-Based Defending, with the CPU better understanding who the players they should mark are, which off-ball runs they should chase, and which dribblers they should close down."

Ok, does anyone have any contacts at EA, because they want to give options, but I cannot for the life of me understand their thinking. Competitor mode was all about stupid skill moves. Why limit better AI defending to this mode? Someone who doesn't want to use competitor mode probably wants a more realistic game and that should include defending...

I just don't get it. Have an option for better AI defending and less of that 1v1 nonsense available to all who want to play a more realistic game offline. How hard can it be to grasp? Competitive Fifa has ruined the game for anyone interested in a football game and not in e-sports and I'm not sure they get it or care.

Last edited by Chrisx; 07-30-2021 at 05:30 AM.
Old 07-30-2021, 05:53 AM   #5
Rookie

All in all, I believe this could be the one of the better fifas in recent years. Hopefully it will be better than the last era of fifa games (19,20,21).

I recently played a couple of games on all the demos from fifa 15 to fifa 20.. You could easily tell where the gameplay started rolling downhill (for me it was fifa 18). I played a game on world class on fifa 15, and I got wrecked.. The gameplay in fifa 15,16,17 might not be realistic, but it was a lot more challenging in my opinion.

If only EA could find it in themselves to please all the football loving gamers and give us the option to have a more realistic gameplay experience instead of all the E-sport driven gameplay. Like the post above me says, the gameplay in recent fifas does not reflect how a realistic football match is played.
And for me, the biggest flaw in the gameplay is that the midfielders does not seem to mark or track any opposing players. Even though their positioning is better than in fifa 21, I still think it's not good enough. They need to track back and at least try to position them between the goal and the attacking players.

This issue is what causes the unrealistic scorelines and defenses being overwhelmed by attacking players. It's just painful that this basic football understandig is totally ignored i favour of "1v1" high octane insane scoreline gameplay. At least give us the option to choose which type of gameplay experience we want.

I am excited about fifa 22 though. I think it could be the best since 17. But I must say that I am not as impressed with the gameplay as I hoped to be. But I guess i'll have to actually play it to judge it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2021, 09:20 AM   #6
Banned

It's so good
Old 08-01-2021, 06:59 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisx
Their obsession with 1v1s is getting old now.

What's worrying about all this:

Deeper Match Analysis: detailed stats are nice but that's not about realism... From the image they posted: PSG - CITY 5-2, 1 foul, zero cards. That's not football is it?
I don't think this is entirely fair, "realism" isn't the goal, otherwise you'd typically need to play a 90 minute game to ensure most games don't end up 0-0. Foul and card counts aren't going to align with games either, and whilst they want the frequency of goals to be higher than "realism" so people can actually play a 10-20 minute match and score some goals, I don't think its desirable to increase fouls and cards in the same way. I'm sure there is some room for improvement, but you can't compare with "real" games unless you're playing a 90 minute game in FIFA.
Old 08-01-2021, 12:11 PM   #8
Rookie

saints0221's Arena

So, am I correct in assuming PC will have some sub standard version to PS5? If so, dislike.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »