Home

Best way to spend coins...

This is a discussion on Best way to spend coins... within the EA Sports NHL Hockey Ultimate Team forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Hockey Ultimate Team
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-08-2017, 03:38 PM   #1
Pro

spoofrice11's Arena

OVR: 3
Best way to spend coins...

I've been saving up my coins (mostly) since I got the game doing the team challenges. And have about 80,000 now.

I really want a good player like Stamkos, Kucherov, Ovechkin, Kolzig, etc. Is it best to just keep saving and buy one (over 100,000)? Or should I buy a thing of packs (although I know some people have said don't waste coins on them). Are the specials like Cancer ones better than normal Gold ones? I've unlocked a few gold ones in the challenges, but I get mostly players around 80-83. I've bought a few cheaper cards in the lower mid 80s like Simmons and Koivu. But would like a stud or two on my team.

Also, I don't understand all the trading cards and stuff.

Thanks for any help!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2017, 10:25 PM   #2
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Best way to spend coins...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoofrice11
I've been saving up my coins (mostly) since I got the game doing the team challenges. And have about 80,000 now.

I really want a good player like Stamkos, Kucherov, Ovechkin, Kolzig, etc. Is it best to just keep saving and buy one (over 100,000)? Or should I buy a thing of packs (although I know some people have said don't waste coins on them). Are the specials like Cancer ones better than normal Gold ones? I've unlocked a few gold ones in the challenges, but I get mostly players around 80-83. I've bought a few cheaper cards in the lower mid 80s like Simmons and Koivu. But would like a stud or two on my team.

Also, I don't understand all the trading cards and stuff.

Thanks for any help!
Packs are a crap shoot. I wouldn’t recommend using your coins on them. Lord knows I have serious issues with this game and cards and ratings mean very little. If your team isn’t deep and your not looking to give EA your hard earned cash (don’t) buy 3-4 good cards with it. Don’t spend crazy on a goalie because my 86 Crawford played just as good as my 93 Brodeur. You can get 3-4 solid guys for 16,000-25,000 each

Last edited by jake19ny; 11-08-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:06 AM   #3
Pro

spoofrice11's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake19ny
Packs are a crap shoot. I wouldn’t recommend using your coins on them. Lord knows I have serious issues with this game and cards and ratings mean very little. If your team isn’t deep and your not looking to give EA your hard earned cash (don’t) buy 3-4 good cards with it. Don’t spend crazy on a goalie because my 86 Crawford played just as good as my 93 Brodeur. You can get 3-4 solid guys for 16,000-25,000 each
Thanks for the reply. I did buy a couple more guys in the 84-85 range. And most of my team is now at least an 83 overall with some 84-85s.

I was kind of wanting a stud though (Stamkos, Kucherov, Ovechkin), but they are all over 100,000 coins and that will still take me a while, plus I spent some last night on a few players.

Who are some players that you would recommend getting, that stand out?

Thanks!
Old 11-09-2017, 11:17 AM   #4
MVP

Turbojugend's Arena

Seconded about packs being a crap shoot. They're fun to open no doubt, but once you're done with that you realize the odds really are not in your favor. Better off saving up your coins and spending them on that one player you really want.

As for players, I like to collect legends. There are quite a few in the 90 OVR region, and since they're part of the earlier releases they usually tend to drop in price faster. Plus I just like them seeing them out there on the ice.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:34 PM   #5
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoofrice11
Thanks for the reply. I did buy a couple more guys in the 84-85 range. And most of my team is now at least an 83 overall with some 84-85s.

I was kind of wanting a stud though (Stamkos, Kucherov, Ovechkin), but they are all over 100,000 coins and that will still take me a while, plus I spent some last night on a few players.

Who are some players that you would recommend getting, that stand out?

Thanks!
Of the 3 guy’s you mentioned I like and do best with Kucherov the most. Even his base gold at 88 overall is good and should only run about 58,000. Ovie is great but overpriced and I’ve never done well with Stamkos. I’m basing this on last year and this year. Legends are cool but don’t do any better than a good gold card.

Last edited by jake19ny; 11-09-2017 at 06:36 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-14-2017, 09:33 AM   #6
Rookie

Starducket Moon's Arena

I'm new to HUT and playing against live competition on NHL series. Was always a franchise player. I'm starting to enjoy it but there's so much I don't know. I've learned how to snipe good players in the market. Yesterday I even grabbed Tarasenko for 16k. But what I don't know is will these guys ratings change throughout the season like in The Show? Are certain card series with identical ratings better? And really how much impact does matching lines and synergy have on ratings? For instance: PWF\SNP\PLY? vs HT\S\DZ?
Old 11-15-2017, 09:02 AM   #7
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starducket Moon
I'm new to HUT and playing against live competition on NHL series. Was always a franchise player. I'm starting to enjoy it but there's so much I don't know. I've learned how to snipe good players in the market. Yesterday I even grabbed Tarasenko for 16k. But what I don't know is will these guys ratings change throughout the season like in The Show? Are certain card series with identical ratings better? And really how much impact does matching lines and synergy have on ratings? For instance: PWF\SNP\PLY? vs HT\S\DZ?
Ratings won’t change. If the rating changes it’s on a new card that you need to buy or land in a pack. EAs greasy way of making you spend money. Just get good at the game and don’t worry about line matchups or Synergies they matter very little. Also get ready for frustration as this game has so many bugs and half of the HUT games you play will be decided by a glitch, bug, bad AI, bad connection to opponent, or bizarre random event. Good luck
Old 11-15-2017, 12:22 PM   #8
OuttaNaptown

punx317's Arena

Icon14 Re: Best way to spend coins...

The the best way to spend coins is to give them to the needy around Christmas. Do it for the kids
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Braveheart_70337.jpg (28.6 KB, 35 views)

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Hockey Ultimate Team »