Home

NHL 14 Revamped Attribute Suggestion Thread

This is a discussion on NHL 14 Revamped Attribute Suggestion Thread within the EA Sports NHL Last Gen Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy > EA Sports NHL Last Gen Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: NHL 14 Revamped Attribute Suggestion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SENS_AK27
One suggestion would be to change the players that don't fight or have under 5 NHL fights to NEVER, that way you don't have a guy like Spezza or Turris sticking up for their teammates automatically and getting beat up and in the box for 5 minutes.

Maybe just have fighting turned on for known Middle and Heavy Weight fighters.
Yes, it would be nice to have that option in the game. But we don't. I can't even find the right words to describe this sub-standard bungle that they call a hockey game. And to make things worse, they dare to call this a hockey simulation, or at least they keep telling us that there's an option to have a sim or arcade style of play. I'm having a hard time calling this a simulation type of game, when Patrick Kane keeps beating the hell out of Shawn Thornton...

Sorry, I just had to...
Old 09-28-2013, 06:33 PM   #18
Pro

puckhead73's Arena

OVR: 6

If it makes you all feel better, with the progress made on the possibility of an editor over the last few days, that would all be possible, and was my original plan all along for fighting.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
NHL13 - http://goo.gl/Gmb9sf

CYCLONIAC'S MUSIC PACK - http://goo.gl/oPQtZt
Old 10-02-2013, 01:14 AM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 0

One possible idea I had was to switch everybody to TWF or TWD to kind of balance out some of the stupid ratings with grinders, enforcers and defensive defenseman since for example Joe Finley is better than Matt Donovan. Is this possible with the editor? Here are the numbers as to how bad Joe Finley actually is:

Quote:
Joe Finley touched the puck over 60 times in the Defensive Zone in games tracked by Shutdown Line. Joe Finley got the puck out of the D zone a total of twice in those games.

Joe Finley was the worst Islander besides Eric Boulton in the neutral zone, and his zone entry rate was one of the smallest we’ve ever tracked.

When Joe Finley was on the ice, the Isles were outshot 3-2 (using Shots on Goal) at 5 on 5 (SO% of 40.4%). With any other DMen on the ice, the Isles were not outshot at EV (SOG% of 50% or better).
With Finley on the ice, the Isles managed about 17 SOG/60 at Even Strength. Without him, the Isles managed 30 SOG/60. No other Islander D Man was below 27.

With Joe Finley on the ice, the Islanders scored about .24 goals per 60 EV Minutes. Without Joe Finley, the Isles scored .883 Goals per 60 EV Minutes.
Also, I'll try to give my input on all goalies (and just goalies) tomorrow.

Last edited by hockeygoalieeh; 10-02-2013 at 01:39 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:38 AM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygoalieeh
One possible idea I had was to switch everybody to TWF or TWD to kind of balance out some of the stupid ratings with grinders, enforcers and defensive defenseman since for example Joe Finley is better than Matt Donovan. Is this possible with the editor? Here are the numbers as to how bad Joe Finley actually is:

This is actually not a bad idea for all of the players whose ratings are goofed because of their player type, like the situation you mentioned. I wouldn't advocate turning ALL players to TWD/TWF because guys like Semin, for example, need to stay SNP, but for players who aren't standouts in a particular role, like Semin, this would make sense.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:19 AM   #21
Pro

emericaridr11's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose24x
Even with my hitting sliders at 0, I am seeing too many huge hits. I would suggest that all skaters have their hitting bumped down by a few points.
agreed, I honestly think this is more of a Aggression Slider/Attribute issue though
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2013, 07:01 AM   #22
MVP

Simple Mathematics's Arena

OVR: 11

To the guys saying to change every player to TWF and TWD, I'm not sure if this is what you meant or not, but the game no longer generates overalls based on player type. All forwards use the same overall formula, and all defenders use a different formula.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #23
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by emericaridr11
agreed, I honestly think this is more of a Aggression Slider/Attribute issue though

I don't think so. You don't want less hits, you just wants less hits that send guys flying and look like highlight reels. I actually experimented with this pretty extensively. I edited every played on Anaheim through Dallas to have lower checking ability (the really big hitters topped out at like 86 and the average, not overly physical forward had around a 77). I actually INCREASED a lot of players aggressiveness attribute, based by looking at every team's players' hit totals from the last couple of seasons. I then played multiple games against the CPU. Initially I only had the CPU aggression slider at 4 and while the size of my collisions was much more realistic (lots of bumps, small tumbles, etc.) I out hit the game badly and they didn't register a realistic number of hits. After a few games with the same results, I upped the CPU aggression to maximum. Now the hits are toned down a bit, but the hitting is even and games end with hit totals in the neighborhood of 25 vs 32, etc.

I will say, however, that even with a maximum of 86ish for the bigger hitters, the big hits are still a bit too frequent (still much noticeably less than before) so I am probably going to go back through and knock everyone down another 2 points, making my top hitters around 84/85 and the average guys who aren't known for laying people out around 75-77. Obviously, I'll use the entire range in between as well, depending on the player.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #24
MVP

Simple Mathematics's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose24x
I don't think so. You don't want less hits, you just wants less hits that send guys flying and look like highlight reels. I actually experimented with this pretty extensively. I edited every played on Anaheim through Dallas to have lower checking ability (the really big hitters topped out at like 86 and the average, not overly physical forward had around a 77). I actually INCREASED a lot of players aggressiveness attribute, based by looking at every team's players' hit totals from the last couple of seasons. I then played multiple games against the CPU. Initially I only had the CPU aggression slider at 4 and while the size of my collisions was much more realistic (lots of bumps, small tumbles, etc.) I out hit the game badly and they didn't register a realistic number of hits. After a few games with the same results, I upped the CPU aggression to maximum. Now the hits are toned down a bit, but the hitting is even and games end with hit totals in the neighborhood of 25 vs 32, etc.

I will say, however, that even with a maximum of 86ish for the bigger hitters, the big hits are still a bit too frequent (still much noticeably less than before) so I am probably going to go back through and knock everyone down another 2 points, making my top hitters around 84/85 and the average guys who aren't known for laying people out around 75-77. Obviously, I'll use the entire range in between as well, depending on the player.
I did the body checking ratings for NHL 14 Revamped. I'll post them later today and you guys can see what you think. I separated forwards and defenders. We decided on an average body checking rating of about 76 I believe. Then I made a bell curve around that average. So, fewer players were rated in the high 80s and 90s as well as on the lower end in like the low 60s. And a large chunk of players were around a 76.

We actually took this bell curve approach for a lot of the attributes.

Last edited by Simple Mathematics; 10-03-2013 at 11:53 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy > EA Sports NHL Last Gen Rosters »