Home

CgyFlames PC (and PS2) Sim Sliders v. 1

This is a discussion on CgyFlames PC (and PS2) Sim Sliders v. 1 within the EA Sports NHL Last Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy > EA Sports NHL Last Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-21-2007, 04:16 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 2
CgyFlames PC (and PS2) Sim Sliders v. 1

My first set. Done without NHL view or TCE, so there's plenty of room for improvement.

*Although I prefer to play on the classic cam, these were developed on the broadcast cam for realism purposes. Using broadcast allows me to compare it to TV footage easier.*

Skill Level: Diff
Periods: 10 [edit: or 5. see note next to game speed]
Pens: 5
Fights: 3
Heroes: Off

Master:
*Leave these all alone except injury. They will change themselves*
Injury: 7

Skating:
*The "feel" of the game is most influenced by Game Spd, Spd Burst, and Player acc, IMO. I think that the combination of these three creates the best flow.*
*Some believe Spd Burst should be at 0. If you watch real hockey, though, there IS such a thing as skating harder. It's needed on the difficult level too, as the CPU gets a bult-in speed advantage. This helps balance that.*
*The Ftg. recov and effect sliders were designed so that leaving your lines out to long will still take them to 0%, but you should have 1 or 2 lines with good energy at any time.*
Game spd: 0 [edit: play at game spd 2 for 5 min periods]
Spd burst: 2
Ftg recov: 3
Player acc: 2
Puck Ctrl: 0
Ftg effect: 5

Checking:
*Not sure why, but this combination actually makes the CPU hit me a decent amount! I also wanted to make hitting less of a weapon for the human to force more creative defense.*
Hit Power: 0
Hit Diff: 7
Aggress: 7

Passing:
*Some like all these at 0, but I feel that 3 is closer to real life without making passing ridiculously easy.*
Pass Assist: 0
Rass Spd: 3
Saucer Ps Spd: 3
Goalie Pass: 0

Shooting:
*Still tweaking the Accuracy. 4 seems to be the balance between the random missed shots and the superstars still being able to pick their corners.*
Shot Acc: 4
Shot Pwr: 0

Defense:
Shot Blocking: 7
Hook Effect: 4
Poke Effect: 7
Pass Int: 7

Dumping:
Dump Spd: 3
Dump Ht: 5
SD Spd: 3
SD Ht: 5

Let me know what you think. I've been using all different teams in the NHL and AHL and have gotten a variety of results.

Last edited by CgyFlames; 09-23-2007 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Changes to sliders
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2007, 03:16 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 14
Re: CgyFlames PC (and PS2) Sim Sliders v. 1

I tried them, and they seem solid.

The pace of the game is way too slow for my liking, but I suspect it's closer to real hockey as a result.

I tend to prefer faster pace, with more hitting, and I'm a bit discouraged to discover that user hitting on Difficulty setting is next to non-existent, whereas the CPU can knock me all over the place.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:18 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimplication
I tried them, and they seem solid.

The pace of the game is way too slow for my liking, but I suspect it's closer to real hockey as a result.

I tend to prefer faster pace, with more hitting, and I'm a bit discouraged to discover that user hitting on Difficulty setting is next to non-existent, whereas the CPU can knock me all over the place.
The pace does seem slow on the classic cam, but it on the broadcast cam it matches best with the real game. Still, I'm thinking of speeding it up myself and moving to 5 minute periods. Hopefully when the TC editor is released we'll be able to do 7 or 8 minute periods, which is where I think it would play best.

Are you having trouble hitting? Maybe it's just me, but I can still outhit them. Just now its no longer a 5:1 ratio or something absurd!
Old 09-23-2007, 10:26 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CgyFlames
The pace does seem slow on the classic cam, but it on the broadcast cam it matches best with the real game. Still, I'm thinking of speeding it up myself and moving to 5 minute periods. Hopefully when the TC editor is released we'll be able to do 7 or 8 minute periods, which is where I think it would play best.

Are you having trouble hitting? Maybe it's just me, but I can still outhit them. Just now its no longer a 5:1 ratio or something absurd!
In general, on "Difficult" I find that user hitting resembles bumper cars, in that I will often check a defender only to bounce off him without either of us being affected. Other times I will check a player with the puck only to have my player fall to the ice, as if hitting a wall.

I am playing on PS2 and am not sure if there is a difference between versions.

I find that I get nice stats with 5 minute periods, and I actually find that the game plays decently on default sliders, but on the "Difficult" setting, hitting seems a bit annoying, and a bit unbalanced in the CPU's favor.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:03 PM   #5
MVP

Chrono's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimplication
In general, on "Difficult" I find that user hitting resembles bumper cars, in that I will often check a defender only to bounce off him without either of us being affected. Other times I will check a player with the puck only to have my player fall to the ice, as if hitting a wall.

I am playing on PS2 and am not sure if there is a difference between versions.

I find that I get nice stats with 5 minute periods, and I actually find that the game plays decently on default sliders, but on the "Difficult" setting, hitting seems a bit annoying, and a bit unbalanced in the CPU's favor.
I'm playing on PS2 as well, and since i've made the jump to Difficult I am finding the exact same thing regarding the checking. For that matter, it also seems like my poke check is barely effective as well!

For now i've just been playing 5 minutes on default settings, and while my stats are just a tad low (shots, goals) in general i'm pretty satisfied. I told myself i'm done with sliders... always ends up as a never ending search for perfection! I'm about ready to start my season, so we'll see how it goes. If I feel like a slower paced more realistic game i'll give this a shot... thanks for sharing!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2007, 01:12 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrono
I'm playing on PS2 as well, and since i've made the jump to Difficult I am finding the exact same thing regarding the checking. For that matter, it also seems like my poke check is barely effective as well!

For now i've just been playing 5 minutes on default settings, and while my stats are just a tad low (shots, goals) in general i'm pretty satisfied. I told myself i'm done with sliders... always ends up as a never ending search for perfection! I'm about ready to start my season, so we'll see how it goes. If I feel like a slower paced more realistic game i'll give this a shot... thanks for sharing!
The poke check being ineffective is exactly why I maxed it out; on the default sliders it seems checking is the #1 defensive weapon while pokechecks are virtually nonexistent. I tried to balnce that out as good as possible. If your having trouble with Difficult, then bump it down to Medium. The only reasons I don't like medium are: 1)I can't lose a faceoff, and 2)No matter the sliders, you can often skate right into the faces of the Dmen and they won't do a thing, they just keep backing up until they run into the goalie. And, yes, I don't mess with sliders often myself. I only did here because I found it wasn't challenging enough on the defaults.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:26 AM   #7
All Star

OVR: 20

Thanks, Flames. Normally it would be heresy for me to use anything devised by a Cowtown fan, but I appreciate your hard work and will give them a go!

Take care,
PK
Old 02-14-2021, 05:30 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CgyFlames
My first set. Done without NHL view or TCE, so there's plenty of room for improvement.
You're not gonna believe this but I read your post and since see you appear to still be active on the site I thought I'd reach out to let you know these sliders are great. It's a bit time-warpy and weird that a game I came here for sliders for over 12 years ago can still provide me with assistance today. STill playing 09 with mods. Still an awesome game.

Thanks and take care.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy > EA Sports NHL Last Gen Sliders »