Home

NHL 09 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here

This is a discussion on NHL 09 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-03-2008, 11:44 PM   #49
Banned

OVR: 31
Re: NHL 09 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerosene31
Yeah, NHL isn't nearly as problematic in this area as other EA games.

Still, lots of us don't want to play online 1 on 1. The be a pro mode looks like it might be fun, but all sports games online end up with cheezers. I mean, there is no avoiding it for any game.

Also, the teammate AI problems will still show, except on 6 v 6.

I've got to give it more time though for sure. A few games isn't enough. Just overall I was let down after hearing all the high praise, but then again most loved 08 and I wasn't a fan of either game last year.
Er the controls are clunky?? Have you played the 2k9 demo? You want clunky there ya go.
Personally I'm loving the demo myself, I love that powerplays feel like actual powerplays now due to the goalies being more human. I love that in Be a Pro mode my AI teammates actually have puck awareness rather than just stand around doing nothing, I love the new defensive controls and I don't have the slightest idea where you get the skating feels weird or uncontrolable, I'm fine with it but then again I was fine with 08.

I also love that the AI will try and deflect passes going thru the neutral zone and actually forecheck in my end rather than just retreat out of the zone. The demo is getting high praise because it deserves high praise. Its that good.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:53 PM   #50
MVP

phillyfan23's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Er the controls are clunky?? Have you played the 2k9 demo? You want clunky there ya go.
Personally I'm loving the demo myself, I love that powerplays feel like actual powerplays now due to the goalies being more human. I love that in Be a Pro mode my AI teammates actually have puck awareness rather than just stand around doing nothing, I love the new defensive controls and I don't have the slightest idea where you get the skating feels weird or uncontrolable, I'm fine with it but then again I was fine with 08.

I also love that the AI will try and deflect passes going thru the neutral zone and actually forecheck in my end rather than just retreat out of the zone. The demo is getting high praise because it deserves high praise. Its that good.

you see, I actually agree with a lot of the things you say, and disagree with a lot of kerosene's views ( cheating AI, useless defense skill stick,bad skating feel, etc)....but why bring 2k9 into it ? Regardless of the content of the rest of your post, this is recipe for a game war . I know you're an ea fan realm, I am too, let's just leave it at that. No need to take digs at 2k9...

Last edited by phillyfan23; 09-03-2008 at 11:55 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:53 PM   #51
Or should I

catcatch22's Arena

OVR: 23

After playing with the demo some, I definitely like it more than 2k9. Much better visually, gameplay wise and control wise. Presentation in 2k9 in terms of opening sequence and intros is awesome and I am not sure if NHL 08 will be able to match that but that is ok.

As for the actual gameplay it looks very good, lots of improvements and there are still some areas that they may have been addressed but without sliders I am not sure if they can be or are lingering problems.

On All Star the AI forechecks well and so does your guys however during backechecking the forwards on both teams go to far in terms of forechecking leaving the defenseman alone and backing up.

Not enough forward backchecking. Which is wierd because in be a pro on the same difficulty level the opposite can be said with the forwards on your team and theirs, they actually do a good job of getting back. Be a pro plays more sim than the regular play now.

One pet peeve of mine since last year has been the lighting. The arenas are just too well lit. Last year the player models did not have no shaded lighting effects on them so it blended well. However this year they added shaded lighting effects to the player models and yes it looks great on the players and all but now it looks wierd because the arena is still well lit thus there is an all encompassing light source. How are these guys having shadows and such when there is no true light sources around the rink. Its an esthetics bash but last year was tolerable not it just looks overdone with no true light sources. I guess I will have to get used to it .
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2008, 03:17 AM   #52
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan23
you see, I actually agree with a lot of the things you say, and disagree with a lot of kerosene's views ( cheating AI, useless defense skill stick,bad skating feel, etc)....but why bring 2k9 into it ? Regardless of the content of the rest of your post, this is recipe for a game war . I know you're an ea fan realm, I am too, let's just leave it at that. No need to take digs at 2k9...
Fair enough man, and with hockey I am much bigger on EA's title, I'm the first to say that, kerosene seems pretty big on 2k's game, so I was kinda confused at the clunky control comment as I found the controls in the 2k demo pretty clunky for the second year in a row, thats pretty much the only reason I even brought 2k up really.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:01 AM   #53
Rookie

StatMan79's Arena

OVR: 5

Very impressed with everything I've seen in this demo.

Be A Player is going to be huge - HUGE.

The addition of having the Three Stars skate out on the ice is also a very nice presentation touch as well.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:53 AM   #54
Rookie

tmac55's Arena

OVR: 6

EA did not include the intros in the demo.. They have already said they will match the ones from the teaser video coming out of the tunnel from the dressing room etc..

As for the gameplay... the 360 stick on D is sweet... very nice option for blocking shots and passes. I am also a big fan of the dump button now... I have to admit that that first thing that jumped out at me was the player models and the authenticity that goes into every player. Granted guys like Datsyuk and Malkin look more real to life then say a Jiri Hudler, but you can still see the resemblance.

Finally, I love the action cam, this year and I will definitely be playing with that view. 3 stars is nice at the end, and if a guy like Malkin or Crosby gets it, you will notice the fans booing and you can see Malkin or Crosby give them the glove as if to say "whatever" which is a nice touch as well.

Last thing... for anyone with an HDTV, NHL 08 and NHL 09 are night and day in terms of HD quality and lighting/detail. Well done EA. So pumped for this game. Will be at Wal Mart on Midnight Monday to buy it and start it off with a Datsyuk be a pro

Go Wings!!

Old 09-04-2008, 09:11 AM   #55
Some say he...

kerosene31's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
kerosene seems pretty big on 2k's game,
Really? The only place I mention 2k is the backwards skating thing.

You see someone criticizing your game and automatically think "2k fanboy".

Let the 2k vs EA thing go. I actually didn't like either hockey game in 08, and after playing both demos in 09, I'm not sold on either game yet again.

I didn't play through either game last year, because they both had annoying flaws. It was the first time in many years I didn't take at least one game to the cup.

It seems like we just argue about which one is better, and then we follow it like a religion. Me? I see flaws in both games and bring them up all the time.

Sorry, but I'm just one of those people in the minority who aren't getting much enjoyment out of EA's games. They just don't "feel" right.

Anyway, nobody else feels the skating engine is different? I mean, that's one area I thought 08 nailed perfectly. This year, I feel like I'm floating side to side at times, and not skating on a straight edge. I'll have to pop in 08, but like I said, that's one of the few areas I felt EA got right last year and now it feels different.

Last edited by kerosene31; 09-04-2008 at 09:15 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2008, 09:23 AM   #56
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Can we please refrain from the EA/2K BS? I realize at times the two games may be used to draw parallels and make comparisons, but for the most part, there isn't a need to bring one game into the discussion of the other. Thanks...

And Kerosene, I played a few games of 08 last night on the slow online game speed setting and it was noticeably different in terms of skating feel. There's something different about it to me, but I can't put my finger on it at this point. It strikes me as more of a 'feel' issue as opposed to engine/mechanic changes. As I said before, I used speed and acceleration at zero last year, so I'm hoping that fiddling with these sliders may help.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »