Home

NHL 09 PS3 Patch Released - Impressions

This is a discussion on NHL 09 PS3 Patch Released - Impressions within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-23-2009, 06:43 PM   #81
GSW
Simnation

GSW's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: NHL 09 PS3 Patch Released - Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXZeke
Redshirt,

Tell the guys at EA Canada "THANK YOU!!!" about a dozen times.

It was great that you guys did the first patch, but it also made scoring for me very hard to do. It turned me off from the game. Even sliders didn't really help things.

After getting the patch 2 nights ago, I'm able to score again from all sorts of places! I'm taking THE SAME shots I did before, but a realistic amount of them are falling in now. The game is FUN again, but also the scoring isn't overdone either. It's pretty damn good now!

From a guy that plays offline... This patch helped a lot.

Thank You!
im going to re-buy this tonight... i cant mess with nba 2k or live anymore too frustrating.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-24-2009, 03:04 PM   #82
Undisputed King Of Sports

Crown42Royal's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXZeke
Redshirt,

Tell the guys at EA Canada "THANK YOU!!!" about a dozen times.

It was great that you guys did the first patch, but it also made scoring for me very hard to do. It turned me off from the game. Even sliders didn't really help things.

After getting the patch 2 nights ago, I'm able to score again from all sorts of places! I'm taking THE SAME shots I did before, but a realistic amount of them are falling in now. The game is FUN again, but also the scoring isn't overdone either. It's pretty damn good now!

From a guy that plays offline... This patch helped a lot.

Thank You!
I guess I'm the opposite on the scoring. I haven't scored a goal in 7 games and I've never gone 3 games without scoring. I've had maybe 3 clear shot in those 7 games as the defense is just suffocating. I even turned on automatic aiming in my last game just to see if it would help; it made it worse I think.

I enjoy the fact that the players seem more random and not pre-determined in their movement and placement but not being able to score is pissing me off. Also, I've averaged 2-3 penalties in those 7 games and even 4 in my last game. It's like I can't touch someone without being called for elbowing or boarding or something. Again, frustrating.

I'm not a cheeser one bit but at this point I almost wish I had some kind of money play just so I could score. I've played over 200 games in BAP and for the first time I'm not enjoying it.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:12 PM   #83
Rookie

OVR: 3

The game plays way way better post patch. Has anyone noticed an increase in franchise injuries? I'm only a month and a half into a new season, but I still have not had anyone on my team injured.

Only disappointment is that manual line changes weren't addressed. You still can't see who the CPU is putting out and the home team doesn't get last change... so you can't match lines properly. The most important strategy in the NHL is still missing from this game.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:43 PM   #84
MVP

jsquigg's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown42Royal
I guess I'm the opposite on the scoring. I haven't scored a goal in 7 games and I've never gone 3 games without scoring. I've had maybe 3 clear shot in those 7 games as the defense is just suffocating. I even turned on automatic aiming in my last game just to see if it would help; it made it worse I think.

I enjoy the fact that the players seem more random and not pre-determined in their movement and placement but not being able to score is pissing me off. Also, I've averaged 2-3 penalties in those 7 games and even 4 in my last game. It's like I can't touch someone without being called for elbowing or boarding or something. Again, frustrating.

I'm not a cheeser one bit but at this point I almost wish I had some kind of money play just so I could score. I've played over 200 games in BAP and for the first time I'm not enjoying it.

I know you said you aren't a cheeser, but maybe it would help if you

a) stopped trying to score on the short side

b) stopped checking any and everyone, or

c) turn the difficulty down.

Just a little advice.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:26 PM   #85
Rookie

kornsined's Arena

OVR: 2

I don't know why but post patch my goalie (Dwayne Roloson) can't save anything. I don't have problems scoring but when I score 4 goals on 30 shots and the opposing team scores 4 on 12 shots it leaves you frustrated. I always control the D-man in front of my net because I know if anyone has the puck in front of the net, 95% of the time they score. So it's not like I'm running around in my end.

It happens on PRO and ALL STAR. Pro on pre patch was easy. Now I feel cheated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2009, 02:24 PM   #86
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornsined
I always control the D-man in front of my net
Are you screening your goalie? 09 recreates screens as well as any hockey game I've played (it still could be better), so if you're camping in front of him, that could account for some of the goals. Watch the goalie to see if he does the 'peek' animation before the shot where they move their head to side to get a better look. If a shot is taken when they're doing this, the chances of it going in are much higher...
Old 02-25-2009, 03:41 PM   #87
Rookie

kornsined's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Are you screening your goalie? 09 recreates screens as well as any hockey game I've played (it still could be better), so if you're camping in front of him, that could account for some of the goals. Watch the goalie to see if he does the 'peek' animation before the shot where they move their head to side to get a better look. If a shot is taken when they're doing this, the chances of it going in are much higher...
I did notice that so I adjusted by making sure I wasn't directly in front of him.

Funny thing, I played a game with catcatch22's sliders and had a great game. Still close but I was out shot and still came out with a victory. I find it easier to get scoring chances because the CPU AI actually moves around creating openings, were as on Pro they stand still.

I think I benefited with my increased team and goalie AI on defense w/ superstar. My players would attack and not let the CPU just walk in.

Who would of thunk it? Much more satisfying hockey.

Again I do love the variety in scoring now post patch.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:39 PM   #88
Undisputed King Of Sports

Crown42Royal's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquigg
I know you said you aren't a cheeser, but maybe it would help if you

a) stopped trying to score on the short side

b) stopped checking any and everyone, or

c) turn the difficulty down.

Just a little advice.
a) who said I did that?

b) checking is part of the game and my position rating every game is A to A+ so I'm not going out of my way to hit people

c) what's the point in that?

Thanks but......

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »