Home

New Tuner set is BAD

This is a discussion on New Tuner set is BAD within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 09-13-2010, 12:17 PM   #25
NHL 13 Developer

OVR: 22
Re: New Tuner set is BAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by stew514
What specifically was changed with the push puck, when the game came out I thought it was pretty solid because it would put you about even with a defender who was hustling to catch you. Now it just seems like every time you push the puck to try and get that extra burst to the outside, the other player just picks the puck up.
The speed and acceleration it gives you was reduced considerably. This wasn't really done because we wanted to, but because there was an exploit related to push puck that allowed you to get the benefits of it without the negatives. You can still use puck puck and hustle in combination to get more or less the same result as before.

Even though the change was forced by the existence of an exploit I'm actually pretty happy with the end result. Push puck has always bothered me a bit because there's nothing inherent about pushing the puck ahead that would make you faster than someone without the puck. Now pushing it ahead just takes away the speed/acceleration penalties that go along with carrying the puck, and puts the puck ahead with might be advantageous in avoiding a poke or stick lift. It is definitely more realistic now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2010, 12:18 PM   #26
Pro

Lubey's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stew514
The reason everyone gets frustrated is because year after year cycling and trying to set up plays is not nearly as successful as using the left stick to just stop, start, and wiggle your way to the net. Point shots are useless.
This is my least favorite part about the game by far. Players in EASHL constantly starting and stopping until they eventually get to the front for a shot. Worst part is it's nearly impossible to catch them as a defenseman.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:37 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 2

I haven't played as much as others (10 ranked online versus games, I am 7-3) but I agree with a common complaint that it is just too hard to score. I looked at my stats and the average score in my game is me winning 2.3-1, which means there are only about 3 total goals per game, I know the NHL average is typically somewhere around 5.8-6. Good opportunities that should go in just don't seem to go in very often so everyone relies on dekes which makes for a less realistic game. I don't know what the average goals per game is for all players in ranked online play but I would encourage EA to tune the goalies so it ends up in the 5.8-6 NHL range instead of the soccer scorelines that are prevalent now. In fact I would bet EA a Molson 6 pack that the scorelines in the first month of FIFA 11 will be higher than the first month of NHL 11.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:55 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 2

Redshirt do you know when we can expect another tuner update? Also can you give us any details as to what we can expect to see addressed in the near future?

thanks
Old 09-13-2010, 01:39 PM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshirt_EA
As long as you understand exactly what was changed. Push puck, shots from the goal line and slap shots in close. If you think those specific things ruined then ok, you don't like the tuning update.

Anything else and it is something else causing it. Maybe the honeymoon period has passed, maybe people have adjusted to the game and are playing it differently, I don't know.

There will be more tuning. I'm not happy with the game balance right now and there are a bunch of things we'd like to improve. When we do I just hope people can focus on the things in the tuning notes if they want to give feedback. We aren't making secret changes or trying to fool anyone, and tuning updates aren't mysteriously causing changes in random systems.
I appreiciate the reply. I have read about and know the things that were changed in the tuner, and have a something for you in that respect.

With the reduction in the effectiveness of push puck it seems like there is less "room" on the ice. By less "room" I mean in terms of the openings it created in the computer skater defense and options for the player to move the puck. By eliminating those options that the push puck speed afforded you, the overall team gameplay aspect has suffered, in my opinion.

With fewer passing options, it becomes harder to keep the puck alive in the offensive zone and the scoring opportunities that presented themselves previously, are no longer available.

With the previous push puck speed, I didn't notice people blowing by defensemen and streaking in on the net one on one with the goalie. Instead, I saw wingers taking the play wide with passing options behind the net, or to the point.

Are the computer skaters affected by using hustle? It seemed like the extra push puck speed casued the Computer skater defenders to hustle and tire them out. Thus leading to comptuer skaters out of position/opening lanes/and adding some randomness in the game I hadn't seen before. Perhaps that extra speed was enabling us to catch the computer at of position at times?

If that was the case, I would like to see the reintroduction of the previous push puck speed with the bug/exploit that was in there fixed. I know you feel it is more realistic now and with "more or less" the same results as before with the push puck/hustle combo but I disagree. I feel you had a nice randomness/user skill balance with the previous push puck speed. And changing it has brought about a game wide flow change, for the worse.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:50 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 1

Consider my thoughts to mimic yubfuzz exactly.

I'd add, there are so many interactions happening in this game that I don't see how it's so easy (Redshirt) to dismiss the idea that what was changed in the tuner affected other areas of gameplay like setting up plays and having a lot more trouble scoring. You are saying you tuned "shots from the goal line and slap shots in close". That is a complete separate event that would not affect the change is shooting from any other spot like say a wrist shot near the goal line but with a good angle? (like bottom of the circle or whatever).

I just find it really hard to believe that you made a tuner adjustment and all these people commenting on the gameplay since the tuner are just flat out wrong since you didn't tune what people are complaining about. It just seems like there would be more cause and effect to other portions of the game with tuners updates than what you are allowing us to believe - which I am comprehending as goalies were not tuned so skaters can score just as easy as before. I find it hard to take in, but I am ignorant in terms of computer programming.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:42 PM   #31
Rookie

HawkeyMediaPlus's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicLegend
True, but nothing has changed like I said earlier.
I thought they made the goalies react better to an exploit. If that is the case then yes they DID tweak goalies which is why your seeing robo goalies
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2010, 03:44 PM   #32
Rookie

HawkeyMediaPlus's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshirt_EA
Nothing in this list was changed by the tuning. The closest thing is slap shots, from further than the top of the face-off circles they are unchanged.
what about the exploit shot that you said was gone. That means you had to tweak the goalies right to remove the exploit. That is what has probably cause them to act so robo now.
99f4a9fd-e815-4542-a1d5-bf23e7f6aee9

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »