Home

NHL 12 "Be A GM" Mode Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on NHL 12 "Be A GM" Mode Discussion Thread within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-01-2012, 04:58 AM   #801
Pro

Bloop33's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: NHL 12 "Be A GM" Mode Discussion Thread

Stanley Cup Finals. St. Louis (2) vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (6)

St. Louis has basically the same top forwards they do for real, as well as Paul Adams, who was traded there for the 1st overall pick last season (yeah, they finished last, then made the cup finals). Their defence is comprised of Alex Pietrangelo, Kevin Shattenkirk, Zach Bogosian and Michael Del Zotto. A Formidable back-end, to be sure.

Game 1

Game 1 started out with a physical tone. We started our big 3rd line against their top line, and quickly dumped and hit the crap out of the defence of the Blues. We scored first on a tipped shot, but Jake Allen was standing on his head, and we couldn't get a 2nd goal by the end of the first.

In the 2nd, we got a little undisciplined, and Don Varnarsky (called up defenceman) was ejected from the game for a 5 minute Boarding major. While we killed the PK very well, they wound up getting a goal, tying it 1-1. By the end of the 2nd the Blues were up 2-1, with their defence shooting a lot from the point and their big forwards causing problems for our defence.

In the 3rd, we had 24 shots directed towards the Blues net, but Jake Allen was more than up to the task, and with 1 minute remaining, we had to edit some lines and pull the goalie. After numerous shots, and many failed clearing attempts by the Blues, Vladimir Fedotov managed to get the puck behind the net. Using his great speed, he went across the ice, making Allen move, and fed Clint Foy in front! 2-2!

In Overtime, the two teams traded chances, but our depth was overrunning that of the Blues. Outshooting them badly, they managed to hold on for Double Overtime. Quickly though, we managed to get a 3 on 1 opportunity with the Russian line, and after a nice passing play, Svitov scored the game winner!

Game 2

In game 2, St. Louis got out to a 1-0 lead, but we managed to battle back by the end of the 1st, tying the game at 1. In the 2nd, we came out hard, and managed to get a lead!

In the 3rd, St.Louis capitalized on some defensive mistakes though, and wound up winning 3-2 with Bogosian's winning goal scored with 48 seconds remaining.

Game 3

Game 3 started out quickly, both teams scoring within 10 minutes, and with the score being 2-2 after 1. In the 2nd, St.Louis got 3 powerplays in a row, scoring on one to make it 3-2, and Jake Allen stood on his head to close the period.

In the 3rd, we created numerous chances, but a bit of miscommunication led to another St. Louis goal. In the last minute, we scored with about 30 seconds left, but were unable to get another goal, losing 4-3.

Game 4

In Game 4, we played a much more disciplined game, and took advantage of the 4 powerplays we got. We wound up winning 4-1, quite comfortably after Wayne Simmonds had tied it at 1 early on.

Game 5

Game 5 was a defensive battle, with both sides not giving each other much in the way of opportunities. We heavily outshot the Blues, 35-17 by the end of the game, but most of our shots were from the point with little to no traffic. We had a 1-0 lead late into the 3rd period, when they managed to slip a check from Riley Guenther and score on a breakaway. But with 2 minutes left, they took a penalty, and we took our timeout and blasted the puck from the point with Jeremy Tanabe, knowing he can position it well enough for tips. On about his 8th shot of the PP, Clint Foy managed to tip a shot over Allens glove! 2-1 victory, and a 3-2 lead in the series!!!

Game 6

Game 6 was a very tense game. With 4 of the Lightning players having injuries, we didn't take many chances early on, but still managed to score 2 goals halfway through the game to St. Louis' 1. In the 3rd period, we got a little undisciplined once again, and wound up going down to a 5 on 3 powerplay. Predictably, they tied the game at 2-2 on that powerplay, but on the 5 on 4, Vladimir Fedotov, who had not done much scoring this season in the playoffs, did some magic.

Arguably the fastest skater in the league at the moment, he blew past Zach Bogosian and sniped the high glove corner on Jake Allen! 3-2 on a shorthanded goal, our first of the post-season! We continued to take penalties however, and were just clearing the puck at every opportunity, trying to hold on. One clear was deflected, allowing Trent Lofthouse to get to it though, and he sent it in front to Fedotov again, who sniped low blocker this time! Add a Fedotov hat-trick on the empty net, and The Stanley Cup Champions Repeat in Tampa!

Alex Galchenyuk named winner of the Conne Smythe (2nd time in his career) and the Tampa Bay Lightning win their 3rd Stanley Cup with myself as GM!

Will do some roster updates tomorrow, not planning on changing a lot, just have to trade some players to create cap and roster space for some emerging stars. Enjoy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2012, 08:07 AM   #802
Rookie

amplify57's Arena

OVR: 6

Nice job! It seems you can actually win in the playoffs. I have yet to do another season, but I'm not really sure why I lose in the playoffs. I win 4 out of 6 or 7 games on a regular basis in the season, so it's completely weird. Anyway, it's nice to see that Galchenyuk became good for you. I drafted him with high hopes, but he didn't pan out like I wanted to and only became 75 with C potential and going nowhere fast. I think I still have him under contract, but he's not doing much for me. I've tried experimenting with the different offensive approaches in COL/P. Behind the Net seems to be the best because I like one-timers, but Crash the Net works well, too. Overload is good for the power play, but not for 5 on 5. That's my opinion.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #803
Pro

Bloop33's Arena

OVR: 19

Yes, my team is built so I can edit my line-ups quite easily depending on who I'm playing. It's nice now, but in the future, and even now, it's causing me headaches with my roster/cap.

I use Behind the net on my top lines normally, Crash the Net with the grinder lines. Sometimes one of my top 2 lines go Overload, but only when I don't have a playmaker who controls the pace of play for me.

For Powerplay I use a Shooting strategy, and either take a lot of one timers or work the puck around until someone is open in a good position to score.

As for Galchenyuk, yeah, this is the first time he's panned out for me on one of my GM Modes as well (this is my 3rd that I've played for more than 3-4 seasons). For some reason, even though he is a playmaker, he plays like a power forward for my team, and really uses his size and speed to his advantage. He also scores numerous timely goals, and usually when the rest of the team is struggling. When the team is good though, you hardly notice him, he just plugs along, hitting and keeping the puck out of the net, which is nice.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:56 AM   #804
Rookie

OVR: 3

Thanks for the advice previous bloop on the strategy and now you pretty much confirming it amplify. Behind the net has been working good for me for my top line and such. I've always used crash the net for my grinder lines and that pans out well. I always use overload on the PP and do well. In my other GM modes I am usually in the 25% range. Though I do go on streaks where I don't score and go 0/12 or something, but I'd say that is a pretty normal struggle and happens to teams irl too.

In my other GM mode with the LA Kings, I drafted Galchenyuk but he is only like 72 overall and C potential. However, I did play him during my preseason and I really liked the way he played. Too bad he wasn't able to have enough potential.

Hey guys, one question. Currently my assistant coach is at level 4 and needs one more to be maxed, which is 800 points and I am at 500 and some change. Should I max that out, or raise my rookie scouting? I should be able to get a general idea from scouting and it seems it's probably just luck at times, but currently my scout doesn't reveal a ton of info on prospects. Ideas?

Last edited by Hooterz; 05-01-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:29 AM   #805
Rookie

amplify57's Arena

I say raise assistant coach. I don't know about you, but what I like to do during free agency is to sign one guy at every position from 73-75 overall at B or B- potential. I have created a few stars on my team this way, as my draft picks aren't always very good and you can get them for very little money. If you have a maxed assistant coach, these guys will develop faster and you could have a guy at 83 overall for $.925! I plan to develop Amateur Scout now because I just maxed out assistant coach, then medical staff, then pro scout. If you like getting good draft picks, get amateur scout, but if you don't get good draft picks, get assistant coach. Pro scout is the least important. Is it really so amazing to know that Edmonton is going to offer you a deal tomorrow. I'll probably decline it anyway. Medical staff is important, just not as much as assistant or amateur. Choose which ever works for you.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #806
Rookie

OVR: 3

Yeah, I was just wondering if the effectiveness of a level 5 scout to a level 4 would be a big difference or should I balance it out and have a level 4 assistant coach with a level 3-4 amateur scout or just got with a level 5 assistant coach and a level 2 amateur scout. I guess though that it would be best to max assistant coach this year then start with my scout. At the end of last season I had a lot of the top guys covered from scouting. However, there are a lot of lower draft picks who aren't scouted very well.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #807
Rookie

amplify57's Arena

NOTE: I will be constantly editing this.

Finished regular season well. No President's Trophy, but it's okay. Heading into round 1 matchup VS St. Louis.

FINALLY WON A FREAKING PLAYOFF SERIES!!! Lost game 1 4-2, but we bounced back to win game 2 5-2. Keep in mind Jonathan Quick is injured, but Eddie Lack (84) is playing. We win game 3 2-0 on a late finished by Bobby Ryan, but in game 4, they tie up the series with a goal with 5 mins to go. Game 5: Scoreless though 1, but within a matter of five minutes in the 2nd we have a 3-0 lead we keep to win the game. Shut them down in game 6 in St. Louis to win 4-0 and the series 4-2. OMG!!!! Heading into round 2 with a divisional matchup against Minnesota. Dustin Penner and Bobby Ryan are red-hot, and rookie Thomas Flynn has two goals. Eddie Lack had THREE SHUTOUTS. That's a good sign. I hope.

Game 1 vs MIN: Quick is back. They open the scoring two minutes into the game, but we tie it up in a minute. From then, it's all us. Jeremy Morin notches a hat trick, and Penner adds two to continue his hot streak. 7-1 victory and a 1-0 series lead. Game 2: Mudler scores in five minutes, and it stays 1-0 in favor of the Wild after 1. Couturier makes it 2-0, but Tedenby scores two quick ones to make it 2-2. However, they score late in the third to win 3-2 and tie the series 1-1. Game 3 heads to Minnesota. We open the scoring, but Jiri Hudler ties it late in the first. It stays that way through the 2nd. However, a 3-goal 3rd period gives us the 4-1 victory and a 2-1 series lead. RNH tallies a goal and an assist. Game 4: Deadlocked through one, but they score in the second. We can't score another goal, and they escape with a 1-0 victory. Series tied 2-2 and heads back to Denver. In gm 5, Bobby Ryan scores minutes into the first. Then, a three goal 2nd consisting of Flynn, Ryan, and Wilm explodes. Hudler makes it 4-1 in the 3rd, but our leads holds up. Back to Minneapolis for game 6. Scoreless first and second. Murpjhy breaks the tie late in the third, but Hudler ties it back up. But with 5 mins to go, Morin nets a tie breaker that seals the deal. We're going to the CONFERENCE FINALS!!!!

Time for the Conference Finals against, of all teams, the RED WINGS. Uh oh. Serious rivalry time. Game one is in Denver; we're the top seed. Carolina, Presidents Trophy winners, take on the Flyers in the East. Game 1: They net two early in the 1st, but we make it 2-1 into the second, but then they score again. 3-1 into the third, but Morin makes it 3-2. However, we can't bury another and lose 3-2. Game two: scoreless first. They score in the 2nd to make it 1-0 heading into the 3rd. But Penner ties it up! OT! But they score in seconds, we head into Detroit down 2-0 in the series. Not good. Game 3: Scoreless through one, but Nodl and Murphy make it 2-0 going into the 3rd. Gaunce makes it 2-1, but Blum tallies an empty-netter to win 3-1 and make the series 2-1. In the 4th game, RNH scores in the first 10 mins to make it 1-0. Rattie makes it 2-0 us late in the 2nd. RNH scores on the power play to make it 3-0, but Nick Palmieri counters and it's 3-1 Colorado. Gaunce suddenly makes it interesting late in the 3rd with a goal that cuts the lead to 3-2. Penner hits the empty net, and we go back to the Rockies tied at 2 apiece coming off a 4-2 win. Game 5: Scoreless first again (like that hasn't happened before). Blum nets a PP goal early in the 2nd to make it 1-0 in the 2nd, but the Wings counter quickly with Palmieri to tie it at 1 all. Ryan nets one to make it 2-1 Avs going into the 3rd. Spezza improves that to 3-1 after a PP goal. It holds up, and we have come from 2 down to 3-2. Into the Motor City we go for crucial game 6 with a possible Cup berth on the line. Lucic scores his first of the series for Detroit to make it 1-0 early. In the second, Penner counters with a PP goal to tie it at one apiece. Shipley scores seconds later to give the Wings the lead back, which is quickly followed by another Lucic goal. Down 3-1 suddenly. Going into the 3rd. Ryan scores on the PP to make it 3-2 with time. With time dwindling down, Zach Hamill notches a goal to tie it at 3 with under 5 to play! OT we go. And with under 3 mins to go in OT #1, Jason Spezza notches one! Colorado is going to the FREAKING STANLEY CUP!!!! OMFG!!!!!! Will face Leauge-best Carolina in the finals. Won't finish today, but I will tomorrow.

Last edited by amplify57; 05-01-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:54 PM   #808
Rookie

OVR: 0

Its so funny how people tell their whole Be a GM story like people actually care hahha.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »