Home

Body Checking Sucks in This Game

This is a discussion on Body Checking Sucks in This Game within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #17
Pro

OVR: 3
Re: Body Checking Sucks in This Game

The problem is, the players don't interact with each other. If you are blocking someone's path and they skate full speed into you without deviating their path, they should get stopped in their tracks.

People shouldn't be able to "slip" by you while you are touching them and physically blocking their path. A jostle button like in Fifa would really make it more like real hockey.

That along with the fact that body checks do absolutely nothing in this game except make you bounce off the person as they are allowed to continue skating forward at almost full speed.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #18
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

The "tough guy" build is completely worthless in the game this year.

I was a dedicated "tough guy" player for many years in this series, but with how screwed up the checking is now, you can be 6'5" 225 pounds and have max hitting, max strength, max aggression for your attributes and you will still just bounce off smaller, lighter skaters all game long.

Large, physical players are completely ineffective in NHL 13. It almost seems like the bigger and stronger you make your player, the worse he becomes at hitting.

Last edited by jyoung; 04-10-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #19
Pro

@legendm0de's Arena

OVR: 9

because the game is arcade out of the box, loosen the puck control slider and hits will dislodge them from the puck appropriately.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:20 AM   #20
Rookie

blinkfan77's Arena

OVR: 7

It seems like everyone is so accepting of how the hitting actually looks. I mean not only is the collision detection bad and the momentum screwy, but the checking animations themselves along with the player taking the hit's animation are absolutely unrealistic looking. Why is this so rarely mentioned?

Hitting is absolutely broken and years behind what it should be.

I'll wait and see what they've done to it before I judge this year.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:45 AM   #21
Rookie

Storm12's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkfan77
It seems like everyone is so accepting of how the hitting actually looks. I mean not only is the collision detection bad and the momentum screwy, but the checking animations themselves along with the player taking the hit's animation are absolutely unrealistic looking. Why is this so rarely mentioned?

Hitting is absolutely broken and years behind what it should be.

I'll wait and see what they've done to it before I judge this year.
The checking does looks weird, players don't bounce on the ice... That does need to be worked on.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2013, 03:19 AM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 4

Speed and momentum play a part, as well as balance (people forget this one). Naturally, head on is best.

I also think the other guys "build" (EG: Grinder) plays some part; its the only way that some guys being able to power through hits makes sense.

But yeah, hitting is broken in 13. Especially since poke checking is very effective for the most part.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:51 PM   #23
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
The "tough guy" build is completely worthless in the game this year.

I was a dedicated "tough guy" player for many years in this series, but with how screwed up the checking is now, you can be 6'5" 225 pounds and have max hitting, max strength, max aggression for your attributes and you will still just bounce off smaller, lighter skaters all game long.

Large, physical players are completely ineffective in NHL 13. It almost seems like the bigger and stronger you make your player, the worse he becomes at hitting.
i love the tough guy this year. 95 wrist shot power scores from all over the o-zone, top self, five hole, etc.

another dumb issue, that shot power is the most important attribute IMO to scoring.
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14
X
https://x.com/Fiddy14_

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Old 04-15-2013, 06:23 PM   #24
Rookie

CaptainSuperman's Arena

OVR: 0

This is hockey, not an RPG game. The role is just a description of what a player is. That's like saying players as talented as Ovechkin shouldn't be able to hit or fight. Though yes, tough guys don't generally have top tier shot accuracy.

Would you find it fair to put cap limits on attributes for player roles? Cause if so, what stats do you cap, and where do you decide to cap them? That would be a pretty rough decision to make

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »