Home

Playing with Goalie Attributes EA Style

This is a discussion on Playing with Goalie Attributes EA Style within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-30-2014, 08:27 PM   #9
MVP

shogunofharlem3's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Playing with Goalie Attributes EA Style

Unless someone replies I'll probably keep editing my last post so I don't keep bumping my own thread and being a creep.

PRetty happy with the way my goalies are moving. Still early. But plugging away.

On a side note. I'm playing with a global edit on the skaters as well that I have a theory about. Using attributes I have, or at least I feel like, I have been able to make the puck looser and less forced to go to a player. It seems to find open space and sits there. More on that later too

Real Time Goalie on Deflection double push recovery (7/30/14 7pm est)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLTOWpR3yck

Slow motion of above deflection double push (7/30/14 7pm est)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhyhUqVTP4I

Save, second save, desperation attempt, not sure when I have ever seen this animation not in EASHL (7/30/14 11:00 pm est)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YApi...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by shogunofharlem3; 07-30-2014 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:01 AM   #10
Rookie

csamuelsvt's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogunofharlem3
Unless someone replies I'll probably keep editing my last post so I don't keep bumping my own thread and being a creep.

PRetty happy with the way my goalies are moving. Still early. But plugging away.

On a side note. I'm playing with a global edit on the skaters as well that I have a theory about. Using attributes I have, or at least I feel like, I have been able to make the puck looser and less forced to go to a player. It seems to find open space and sits there. More on that later too

Real Time Goalie on Deflection double push recovery (7/30/14 7pm est)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLTOWpR3yck

Slow motion of above deflection double push (7/30/14 7pm est)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhyhUqVTP4I

Save, second save, desperation attempt, not sure when I have ever seen this animation not in EASHL (7/30/14 11:00 pm est)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YApi...ature=youtu.be
I wish there were a way to edit the goalies whereby every time you make any move nearby they immediately go down. I can't stand that. The goalies go down really quick.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:29 AM   #11
MVP

shogunofharlem3's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by csamuelsvt
I wish there were a way to edit the goalies whereby every time you make any move nearby they immediately go down. I can't stand that. The goalies go down really quick.
It appears to be a distance thing. 2k10 had something similar but not quite as drastic.

Basically, make a rectangle using the goal line, then from the goal line a line out to each faceoff dot, then connect the faceoff dots. Anything within that "danger" rectangle puts the goalie right into butterfly whether there is danger or not.

Nothing I can do about that I don't think. That is programming and not gonna be fixed with attributes. I tried making Tuuka a "stand up" goalie hoping it would keep him on his feet longer, nope. Looks exaclty like butterfly and hybrid. Convinced that doesn't matter.

What I am trying to do is slow everything down for them a bit. And only move if their legs or skates tell them to do so. I have my notes, watched a cpu vs cpu game and the goalies looked better, more realistic movements.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2014, 11:40 AM   #12
MVP

Cletus's Arena

OVR: 15

Those movements do look good. What sliders are you using for the goalies while you're testing? i wonder if lowering the goalie reaction will make him push more rather than morph.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:37 PM   #13
TrueSim Projects-Creator

Cycloniac's Arena

OVR: 13

Following with intrigue, on behalf of the NHL 13 community.

The most I did with goalies, in this regard, was tweaking aggressiveness, which seems to (somewhat) affect how far a goalie will position himself outside of his crease. I'm big on attribute seperation and smoothness of gameplay, so I'm eager to find out how far you can take this.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:09 PM   #14
MVP

shogunofharlem3's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycloniac
Following with intrigue, on behalf of the NHL 13 community.

The most I did with goalies, in this regard, was tweaking aggressiveness, which seems to (somewhat) affect how far a goalie will position himself outside of his crease. I'm big on attribute seperation and smoothness of gameplay, so I'm eager to find out how far you can take this.
THanks, just got back from coaching my summer's teams friday morning double header, lets just say, after game 2 I will be drinking early and starting to test the goalies to get my mind off of quite possible the worst game I've ever been apart of in 36 years of my life..........anyway

AGRESSION!!!! Yes, big one, if you put it low, 36, the goalie will make most saves at or around the goal line deep in net, 99 and he is WAY out to challenge, too far though. I am trying to find a sweet spot.

Right now I'm rolling with 50, keeps them at the top of the crease and allows them to get back without warping and getting beat deep all the time.

I'll post the attributes I'm focusing on in a bit. I am also going to record one period of gameplay.

Now, the gameplay vid you will see also has a skater edit.

I had a theory:

Why does a poke checked puck always seem to go in a random direction and end up on someone's stick therefore eliminating any looseness in the game, as someone said earlier, the puck always has a destination.

Just playing, I theorized (after about 12 beers) that offensive and defensive awareness may play a key factor the puck's "destination", higher means more likely to have the puck find their tape. SO a puck is poked in the offensive zone, near that poke is an offensive player with 79 off awareness, and a defenseman with a 89 defensive awareness.....I find the puck would go towards the dman with the higher rating.

I have put everyone's off / def awareness to 36 for now. The puck ends up much looser in my eyes, its as if the puck doesn't know where to go because it isn't being pulled by a rating it may be using its actually physics motion, (could be placebo) and I find that the players are less on rails and actually play a little more freely with their skills as opposed to what their "awareness" tells them to do............... very intersting indeed.

Oh, and I am using the 14 Revamped Rosters, EXCELLENT WORK ON THESE

Lot of strands in old duder's head

Last edited by shogunofharlem3; 08-01-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:34 PM   #15
Rookie

csamuelsvt's Arena

OVR: 1

Please post your goalie edits when you can. Really itching to try these out over the weekend. Great Job!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2014, 05:25 PM   #16
MVP

shogunofharlem3's Arena

Here is my edit so far, I am using a slightly modified version of the Revamped Sliders. Still early into this project (and the beer, I am guessing you'll see a pattern here. The 2k guys know my beer habit)

Game Play Settings (hardcore, superstar) - not sure if this will matter
Goalie Passing 0
Cover Puck Freq 1 (I find that higher the goalie has a suction to tie it up, not proper ties)
Screen Effect 0,0
Reaction Speed 6,6

Global Edits

Glove high
Stick high
Agility
Vision

Glove Low
Stick Low
Poke Check
Shot Recovery

Rebound Control

Angle
Speed

Aggressiveness

Now, Glove high, Stick High, Glove Low, Stick Low is to help prevent high corner shots. As far as I can see it does not affect the movement I am trying to create. Don't freak about the goalie's overall rating, it is just a number.

Here is a full period video. I think the goalies look strong in this, no warping, moving just right. No magnet under the table sliding. Actually pushing to move and if they can't recover they can't recover, seeing much more desperation now.

Also, in this video, all skaters have the 36 / 36 (off / def awareness) global to create a much looser puck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhXS...AXUWQwj0o-IRlA

Last edited by shogunofharlem3; 08-01-2014 at 05:50 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »