Home

How is the game play in NHL Legacy

This is a discussion on How is the game play in NHL Legacy within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-14-2015, 10:43 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
How is the game play in NHL Legacy

After purchasing NHL 16 for xbox1, I am very disappointed in the way the game feels and plays.-m

- It is almost impossible to hit,
- The AI will take 70 shots a game at you ( and I have tried adjusting sliders and tried some on the forum),
- Skating between the AI and Human players are not even in the same world....cpu can turn on a dime while human momentum continues making it difficult to control.

Having said that, I was wondering if the Legacy game is any better.
I had NHL 15 Legacy, and felt that that was great.

So if you have the Legacy game, how is it playing for you...the same as the NHL 15 Legacy, or is it very different?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2015, 12:37 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: How is the game play in NHL Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack72
Having said that, I was wondering if the Legacy game is any better.
I had NHL 15 Legacy, and felt that that was great.
So if you have the Legacy game, how is it playing for you...the same as the NHL 15 Legacy, or is it very different?
First of all NHL 15 was NHL 15. There was no 'legacy'. Second, this is a heavily personal opinion weighted question but I think NHL Legacy is fantastic. Would I like the 3-on-3 OT? Sure, but it's not going to ruin my game. I need the current schedule and a handful of newly made players. That matters to me. The game is as great as it was last year to me and perhaps plays a bit better but I have no quantifiable way of checking that because I haven't read anything that says they did anything to Legacy.

As far as the nextgen version goes, I've seen lots and played it and honestly, there is something in sports games when they go to new generations that never ceases to amaze me; the overdone graphical elements in place of finished games. Almost to remind you by beating you over the head that the game looks better because of a better GPU but almost as well to distract you from the fact that the game's launched unfinished. Look, if you like the latest in graphics (and even that is questionable) then next gen matters to you.

When I play hockey, baseball, soccer games, I'm watching the ball and my teammates. So if there's a guy walking up the aisle holding a realistic bag of popcorn or if the stadium mascot runs onto the ice at the end of the game couldn't possibly be less relevant to me. You know why I still play MVP NCAA Baseball? Because the physics and the gameplay are so tight it doesn't matter that it has PS2 graphics.

Anyway, just some thoughts.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:37 PM   #3
Banned

I agree with most of what you say, I don't stop to admire the crowd while rushing down the ice.

I like xbox360 version as I can put in my own BIP music which added to the atmosphere more than seeing the beads of water on the drink cups.

Seeing as the AI in xbox1 is virtually unplayable, I am going to get the legacy game instead and add the xbox 1 cd to my drink coaster collection.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:40 AM   #4
Rookie

NHL legacy edition is a solid game. While legacy isn't as dramatic of a step up as NHL 15 old gen was from 14, there's still a lot of good tweaks and small additions and fixes to make it a great hockey game overall.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:36 PM   #5
Banned

Roscosuper's Arena

OVR: 2

Legacy is a cleaned up version of '15 as far as gameplay is concerned. The AI is a bit more challenging and has a few more plays.

It's definitely better than new gen (gameplay wise).

I'd have to go back and play some of the older hockey games, but it could be in the argument for best hockey game of all time.

IMO, if you took the Legacy gameplay/mechanics/etc. and combined it with current gen graphics, you'd have a clear winner.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2015, 04:59 AM   #6
Rookie

Most people believe that it is "literally the same game as 14" since that is all they hear from people who haven't actually played 15 or legacy. The reason I've come to that conclusion is because the improvements between 14 and 15 are so glaringly obvious that it's impossible to miss if you have actually played both games. Previous games in the series have not gotten as many improvements as 15 old gen got. Legacy is a little more subtle with the improvements, but they fixed some of the things I personally had a problem with in 15 last gen, although the list is pretty small as I considered 15 old gen to be the best hockey game available. I think the problem is people see 15 new gen and expect ea to automagically port those graphics to old gen, otherwise "LITERALLY the same game".
Old 10-20-2015, 11:59 AM   #7
Rookie

sorry, i'm not going to pay full game price for Legacy when it just has some minor additions/fixes/jerseys that weren't in NHL15

I'm still playing '15, and with some great sliders (I definitely recommend AlTito's sliders in the Legacy/Sliders thread) makes the games very entertaining and close to realistic as you'll get

I used the "Generic EA DB Reader" app along with Horizon and the NHL DB Patcher, I was able to modify a season save from '15 to get this year's schedule implemented. Definitely a chore but my importing the schedule into a spreadsheet helped out a little bit

IMO, if you took the Legacy gameplay/mechanics/etc. and combined it with current gen graphics, you'd have a clear winner.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:36 AM   #8
Banned

Roscosuper's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezdaddy
sorry, i'm not going to pay full game price for Legacy when it just has some minor additions/fixes/jerseys that weren't in NHL15

I'm still playing '15, and with some great sliders (I definitely recommend AlTito's sliders in the Legacy/Sliders thread) makes the games very entertaining and close to realistic as you'll get

I used the "Generic EA DB Reader" app along with Horizon and the NHL DB Patcher, I was able to modify a season save from '15 to get this year's schedule implemented. Definitely a chore but my importing the schedule into a spreadsheet helped out a little bit

I totally get not wanting to spend the money. EA really doesn't deserve it. But if we're analyzing the games without considering the wickedness of EA Sports' business practices, and just the game itself, than Legacy is the better game.

The price may drop. If it does; you should give more consideration.

What's more? There are more and better generic faces. If Artem updates his editor, this will give us so much/many better choices for assigning faces to players.

If new-gen continues down the same path, I may be keeping my beagm (when I start it, that is) going for a time with Legacy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »